Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you must be so excited ! all things happen at once it seems! hopefully things settled down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Indeed. Just got notice that the plumbing permit is expiring AGAIN and my water right paperwork is due. I'm taking the afternoon off work to do chores and/or harrass the builder man. Haven't heard if the posts/beams passed inspection.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The beams/posts were mostly approved! A few didn't pass. The 20' ones need to be redone so new logs are sought. The porch rafters also mainly cut are mostly OK. Possibly the failed beams will become porch rafters with more cutting. So, mostly good news. The builder decided TODAY was the day to bring some stuff up. Great. But he spent the morning...that' would be the time it WAS NOT raining, doing work on his own home. Peachy. They drove stuff up, 3 loads of posts/beams/lumber at noonish. Well, by then I'd had 1/4inch of rain here and the construction access"road"...just a cut in the dirt in the hillside, was made of snot. They know this from the previous year's fiasco with building too late. Still, they showed up. Ended up leaving most of the loads at the bottom of the hill. I would have brought them across the culvert and behind the trees, but I'm not in charge. So they are 20' off the highway. By a loader. Of course the loader only runs in 30second spurts so a thief would have to be pretty darn determined.

The builderman said the wood products engineer, the one certifying things, is going to see what size red fir log would be needed to substitute for the last remaining bit of glue-lam (glulam? glewlamb?) beam in the place. The main one taking the roof weight. Needs to be 30'8" long. It's a big beam. Spendy. If they find a log that will work and still leave headroom to get into the loft legally, then I get the round side of a real tree showing in my ceiling! That would be the bomb. BUT trying not to get my hopes way way up on that one. It's going to be hard to find/certify and to get the county inspector on board. WE'll see. I'm going to go broke buying finish I think. Anyway, there you go.

At work I was told I got a bonus! I am not sure how much yet but that will help. I'm shaving the budget daily. Eat what you have, scavenge the TP roll ends from work, say "yes" to free garden produce even if I am sick to death of zucchini. My local food challenge I'm doing means I bought most of my groceries for the month already so that's nice.
    I'm getting the car checked out this week when they put on the winter tires to see if I should keep driving it. ANd instead of fixing the dead window motor on the pick up, I'm going to have a neighbor help me just lift the window up (the motor died when the window was down...obviously) and jam it there for the winter. I can live with the cold, but if the truck is my main vehicle, like of the car dies, I need to be able to leave my groceries and things in it while running errands or bullying the builder. If I can't get the window up I guess it's the classic Idaho clear plastic and duct tape. When the boss told me I was getting a bonus I asked if it was because the duct tape on the car fender clearly needed replacing. She assured me that that was only part of it, I also do a good job. SHe seems afraid I will quit. Uh...building a house...need a job.

Anyway, there you go.

In chicken news: The hen who is supposedly sitting on eggs is either a bad mother or the eggs got eaten. I swear she spent last night in the coop. I didn't see her come out but she was 3rd to the pile of treats I put out. She hung around much of the day and it was cold and rainy. I also had an unexpectedly good brown egg, she's a brown egger, among the sad specimens the rest are putting out while molting. The poor americauna looks like a hot mess! She's tattered! The new feathers are coming in but she's usually a beautiful black bird with shiny indigo highlights. Now she's partly bald and greasy looking. She seems embarrased. The barred rock is losing feathers but looks better. The front of the coop looks like the remains of a pillow fight with so many hens and one rooster losing feathers all at once. Ick. I'm supplementing protein and with the weather turning will have to feed more anyway. The free-range food is dwindling. I think I'll trap mice for them in the winter. One nearly ran over my foot while I was out side. I did that last fall before the last hen flew the coop (possibly in the talons of a hawk). I put out a live mouse trap with a peanut glued in it and then fed them the mouse in the morning. Good protein boost when they can't get worms or bugs much and it was satisfying for me since the little beggars are so disrespectful and get in my car all the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wooohoo! county approved the REAL log main beam in the ceiling. 14" red fir. 2 options are on the way to the builder. He's heading up to my place as I type. Thankfully I'm at work so not there to panic. I might do a run by over lunch because...can't help it. He thinks there will be vertical posts up by sunday. We'll see. He's usually 2 weeks ahead of himself in plans once he lands on a job. But the work window has closed already. It's cold and rainy and the ground is soft and there is ice/frost. So, that must be enough drama for him to finally get started...5 months later than promised. But STARTED>
    I got a surprise bonus at work which might cover the non-toxic finish I want on the wood beams/posts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yikes like feed them live mice or do you kill it first! congrats on the bonus plus getting farther with your house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The mice are usually deceased but chickens like to kill mice and snakes and things. And eat them. My late one-eyed rooster (Cogburn) would kill snakes to treat his ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can see that .. I don't care if they kill them but feel guilty if I feed live things to the animals. one of our previous cats caught so many rats one month a couple a day that I would throw out for the crows. but sometimes they weren't so said to cat finish it. thankful that all the places that had rats are gone now here lol thankful no one brings me presents now !

woohoo nice it was enough to cover something for the house. you have to post pics of the progress!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could use that cat!! For all the gophers.
    The builder stacked stuff, dropped off the potty hut...and evaporated. CRIPES> Now it's going to be SUPER cold and lots of snow on Saturday. So I am betting he shows up again that day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you would think he would know better living in your area. that cat was one step from feral..from a litter up north of barn cat. she didn't like me would bat my ankles w claws if I didn't get food out fast enough but loved dd. she only ate wet food too. she got eaten by a coyote one morning when see off dd to summer girl guide camp. not normal for them to be out that late in the morning. my neighbour said there was a fat coyote not afraid of cars etc the next couple of days early. she worked early in the morning. this was like 730am when the cat got it. she didn't know until she came back. I figured it out when I came home and the neighbour was very eerie quiet and the neighbours cat was super friendly which he wasn't normally. since she only ate wet food you know she would show up regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that feralish cat did well training her humans! Wet food! Bummer about the end though.

This happened at my place yesterday I think while I was at work.
    Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-image-8-.jpg
    it will be about 200$ to get the window replaced ASAP. The driver's side window is nonfunctional but the rando who busted this went for the other side. Dang. I am driving the subaru which is acting strange. Because why not. oh well. You can't have problems with the truck if you don't have a truck or trouble with the subaru if you don't have one.
    I get a window in on tuesday. The drivers window motor I can do myself. For now, It has a broken fence slat wedged in it and the plastic interior bits stuck in the back of the truck.
    Who ever broke in should have left a tip. They were probably surprised to see cassette tapes, no gun, and no tools worth hocking in an idaho based truck! Didn't even take the shovel out of the back. It was getting dark so I will do a better inventory today if I make it home before the blizzard. I have my sunshield slammed in the door to cover the broken window. Fancy...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get the truck window replaced tomorrow (supposedly) and Mrs builderman called today to say he would be up working tomorrow..uh...we'll see. We had a blizzard on friday, I was stuck at the office all night rather than drive another 25 miles on crazy slick roads just to feed some free chickens (all the chickens are fine!). Spent the weekend digging my driveway out an then stretching the kinks out of my back from all the shoveling. I had hoped to snowshoe up to the pond but ran out of daylight both days. The snow may melt this week. I won't miss it much. it was too early.
    Fortunately my squash and other fresh veg in the shed did not freeze! it held at 32degs (I have a thermometer that records overnights lows inside and outside). I made squash soup last night by roasting a pumpkin, onions, garlic and apples inside the firebox of my wood stove, then mashing it together with some green curry paste and water. It was DELICIOUS. I had so many pumpkins given to me that I shared one with the neighbor lady. She was pretty excited. She's living on 200$ a month! Now that's frugal! She's got a rescued horse to sell so hopefully that will increase her income to get her through the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went in to town today to get a new window in my pickup (it's so clean I kept thinking they'd forgotten to put in the glass...I might have to dirty it on purpose just so I can tell when it's up/down)
    ANYWAY, as I was leaving the crew showed up and when I got home 5 hours later I saw this:Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-photo111.jpg

more issues with the engineered drawings are becoming apparent so, after taking today off work for the truck, I need to take much of tomorrow off in order to meet, on site, with the builder and the county permit boss. The county guy told the builder to get the engineer to redo the drawings...the builder said that isn't going to work. I am out of money (true), and the engineer is too slow this year (also true). Hopefully the permit boss guy will OK the way the builder is doing it. It's sensible and very much exceeds code for strength, shear-strength, and roof load and all the rest. Also...will be gorgeous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

why do they keep wanting you too redo basic plans? not like it is a palace you are building or do they just like to feel important and nitpick? glad you got a new window..sucks when they do that over nothing. we used to get broken into a lot for nothing but that was toyota and hondas and apparently one key opens all the old ones so no broken windows etc. now with my old cars ..scares them off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I KNOW!!! Why redo. It's a plan. And there is no way on earth it will fall down with that much wood in it. The county sent the permit boss and he said to avoid going back to the engineer at all costs. With builderman ADDING to the structure, it will be better, but make sure things shown in the plan happen. GOOD RESULT!!! The best possible. No going back to the engineer. YAY. (5 minutes after getting that news, my subaru became undrivable...tight karma circle! It needs 350$ in repairs and the soonest the shop I like can get it in is 2 weeks. So, I hitched a ride home with a friend and am driving the pick up. The car will just sit at the mechanic in hopes they can squeeze it in sooner...plugs, wires, a cylinder about to go bad if I kept driving it etc...oh well. THat's why I have a 2nd rig and WAY cheaper than having to go back to an engineer)

Here is a picture from when I got home last night:
    Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-pict1039.jpg

That's me and my friend...who has my same first name which people locally find HILARIOUS. She's in the white sweatshirt...6'2" so she is easier to spot than me. I'm behind the guy's orang hat. Couldn't get the full height in the picture. I'm going to try a new camera set up tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-photo113.jpg
    As of last night!
    Things moved quickly for a couple of days. Don't know if the guys made it out there today. We were expecting serious winds which would make standing the posts a bit more challenging.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast