Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like the guys were out working here on Friday. I didn't even look at the photos last night. Just downloaded them and went and did chores. It was pretty much dark when I got home. I LOVE the live-edge beam that will hold up the loft

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-pict1576.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE your view! It's got to be exciting to see so much progress.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for posting pictures! so exciting finally getting your dream built!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I KNOW! exciting for me anyway.
    I was gone butchering ducks all day until after sundown yesterday. I guess the builder made it up in the afternoon. His wife called today to let me know that a bill would be coming (ya, we covered that saturday when I went to check out windows and doors at their salvage yard...) anyway, she said he was out yesterday and got tall beams up. I didn't see new ones in the moonlight, but I will head home before sundown today and check the camera for new pics of progress.

And I have to move some $$ to a new account.

I found out earlier today that my wool insulation supplier has gone out of business!! I emailed some new suppliers with similar products to see if I can get samples to try out. Fingers crossed! They are closer and I'm not in a hurry, but I need $$ amounts.

Anyway, off to work the polls tomorrow so I will miss another day of cool stuff at the homesite. I'm hoping the biggest beam won't be put up while I can't be there. But, given the builder's timing, I assume I won't get to watch it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well cripes...just deleted a reply because I'm TIRED. Working, covid, and the housebuild. 2 out of three of those are super positive and yet also stressful.

The subaru is dying...but I'm not going to decide for a couple of weeks or more when I can free up some head space from the build. The truck (KNOCK ON WOOD) is now the daily driver. Anyway.
    Here's a picture of where the house is at.

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-clip.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yikes you don't have covid do you ! your place is looking good

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, it's going up so fast now. Those beams are massive! Will it have a sloped roof? (Because of snow, of course, right?)
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the positive input! Hard to spend so much $$ so fast. Yes, going up fast. THe builder had the majority of the beams/posts pre-cut at his yard then trim to fit here. The guys, 3 crew members plus the builder framed the roof today. The builder doesn't climb ladders anymore due to a bad back or hip or leg or all of the above. BUT he directs and cuts bits and hands them up and is actually really nice to his crew which I appreciate. SO PATIENT which is NOT like me. I am a crap manager.
    Here's the roof framed upDollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-photo147.jpg

it was a busy day at the ranch. A friend from the next town had emailed that his son would be around with a 15 year old step nephew who was hoping to get his first deer and they would like to try my place. EXCELLENT> I texted them at about 1pm that there were 3 deer hanging out so the guys, the son of my friend, his step nephew and his brother in law, headed up. THere were 6 deer while they were driving the 10 min to here. THen zero deer when they arrived. But about 3:30 or so, deer came out of the timber on my west boundary (my place was logged 100 years ago and farmed since but I"m surrounded by forest). The young man felled his deer in one shot and she expired quickly. The friend's son is an excellent shot and was at the ready should things not go extremely smoothly. But things went great. They had her, it was a nice doe, fairly old and probably 65lbs of meat once they get her dressed out, field dressed and in the truck in a half hour. THe viscera will go to the critters and if there are some left in the morning, I'll serve some up as a protein boost to the chickens if they haven't found it quickly. The kid was respectful and thrilled. I was the only one who remembered to take a picture of him and his first deer. Sent that on right away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

couple more pics. One looking toward the SW corner of the house.
    One of the wood holding up the loft (the plywood will go away...ignore that)
    One of a custom bracket holding up the big a$$ log in the roof
    The 2nd and 3rd ones rotated as I uploaded. oh well. You are all smart enough to figure out that the sky is UP.

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-img_0475.jpg

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-img_0417.jpg

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-img_0449-1-.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How exciting, Maggie! Will they have it dried in by winter? Wow, that's going to be nice.

Registered User miteigenenhaenden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great! Enviable beautiful !!
    Best regards, miteigenenhaenden
    || www.miteigenenhaenden.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks again to all.
    I brought the guys treats (cinnamon rolls individually packaged from a restaurant here...excellent) and they loved that.
    ALSO a bit of scaffold fell on my head! OW. Got a tetanus shot today. No concussion or laceration. It's like a skinned knee on my scalp and a little bit of a stiff neck.
    I don't appear to be hurt. I'd hit myself in the head with the solar panel over the weekend. Maybe there is a magnet in my head attracting all the metal?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my head and neck and tetanus arm feel MUCH better today. I managed to reach for my coffee in the car without saying "ow" on the way to work today. AND I can turn my head BOTH WAYS almost the full range. It's the little things.

The sheeting is going on the roof now. I leave before sun up and get home after dark so I don't have pictures. I didn't want to climb the icy ladder to get the photo chip out of the camera last night. I think I will be by my place during daylight tomorrow so I can talk to the builder and get my photo chip out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yesterday the roof sheeting went up and some wall framing of bits that will not be cordwood. very cool.
    I stopped by today to plan windows with the builder and will finalize more of those tomorrow since, of course, I made a measuring mistake! Cripes.

While I was there, they put up the pretty beam that got taken down from below the loft and I REALLY REALLY like and wanted back in the house. They added 2 live edge supports for it.
    Here it is going up:

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-beam.jpg

I am standing in the living room area looking at the bedroom area. the part you see past the beam with boards sticking out...those boards extend from the loft and will form the ceiling of the bathroom. So the beam will hold up one bathroom wall and the interior bedroom wall...which won't go in until the code guy is gone. It's a studio home to start with. But I'm sure I will add a wall there eventually. I like divided spaces and kind of miss that in the wee shed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you seen the wine bottles incorporated into cordwood walls? Very cool, and allow light with privacy, like in a shower stall.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast