First Day of Spring? Garden's a little late this year...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default First Day of Spring? Garden's a little late this year...

Well, the calendar says it's the first day of Spring but, there's still an inch of ice and snow over our garden here.

DH and I usually have the garden plowed with the pole beans and snow peas planted on St. Patrick's Day (March 17th.)

This year, we're probably looking at plowing and planting the first garden seeds on the 30th or 31st of March.

How's everybody else's Spring garden preparations going?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We can't plant until around memorial day. We have a short growing season....usually I'm picking tomatoes in September~!
    We plant around 30-35 tomato plants, along with peppers, sweet corn, green beans, squash and zucchini.
    then some years we try...broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, watermelon, cantelope.

Some years we have a bountiful crop..some years we don't. We're so dependent on the weather around here...we do have ponds that we water from. Some years, those ponds dry up.
    So...I'm hoping it will be a good year. Last year I only canned about 60 jars of spaghetti sauce. I've got about 4 left...I'm trying to stretch them out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's amazing what a few days of warm weather and a little rain at night can do. We got our garden plowed, limed, and planted pole PEAS and snow peas yesterday (March 24). We're only a week behind schedule this year.

Last frost here is May 1st, but we'll know we can plant frost-sensitive things when the forsythia bushes are in full bloom. (Maybe the end of April.) We'll start to harden off our tomato plants, pepper plants and other stuff we've grown in the cellar to get them ready to plant outside.

Farms and gardens here in MA need irrigation. Rainfall is too unreliable and hauling water wouldn't work, especially for tomatoes - if they get too much water all at once their skins will split and not enough, they scar, which makes them both undesirable for canning. We have to use well water with an electric pump.

Sorry to hear you have water problems. Have you looked into getting a well? Maybe with a pond, you have well water somewhere on your property.

I canned 93 quarts of tomatoes from 22 tomato plants last year and only have 11 quarts left. I also canned 18 pints picilli relish from green tomatoes. I gave 6 away to FIL and have 6 left.

This year for food we're planting peas, snow peas, tomatoes, peppers, onions, beets, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, green beans, pumpkins, potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, lettuce, cucumbers, lima beans, cabbage and sunflowers.

We also have perennial asparagus, rhubarb, herbs, berries, and 3 MacIntosh apple trees.

We buy our corn cheap from a neighbor who has fields of Butter & Sugar. It's not worth it for us to grow it.

We've found that sometimes it's not a question of how much you can grow for the Winter, but what you can reasonably store away. We have limited space in the cellar. We can, freeze and dry what our cellar will accommodate.

Our garden goes until first frost Nov. 1st. We're in garden zone 6.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

don't do a big garden but cherry blossoms are out , daffodils blooming. too early for planting but rhubarb is starting to come out. did some tomatoes last year had a massive cherry tomato plant took over the raised bed.

weird thing though cut open tomatoes I had on the corner both had the seeds inside sprouting! maybe why they kept so well on the corner been there a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Homesteadgal.....our water supply for the house is a well.
    Never thought about digging another one back by the garden. usually we water out of the ponds. Most years..the garden is fine. But a couple years ago it got really dry...and we had to buy water for the house well. Couldn't afford to water the garden too!
    I made zucchini relish last year out of some of my giant zucc's. It turned out really good...but I needed to chop it a little more fine.
    Oh...it sounds like your garden this year will be great~I love the variety you have. We have also planted cabbage with success. One year we planted a field of free pumpkin plants. It was amazing..we were GIVING them away. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha,
    I had a couple a tomatoes do that too! I went to slice it for BLT'S...and the seeds were sprouting!
    Somethings not right with that picture~but I do buy the tomatoes on the vine. Maybe that's why.