2020 Gardening Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got into my garden again. I noticed that the florist I normally drive past to/from work sells veggie plants earlier this year. I stopped in and picked up four lettuce plants and planted them. Right now, the florist (who is associated with another nursery in a nearby town) only has early spring plants like lettuce, kale, and broccoli and herbs (as well as flowers). Later this year, they should be getting more and different plants, like tomatoes. Not sure what else they'll get later this year. But if the local farmer's market doesn't open on time, at least I know some place local that I can pick up already sprouted plants for my garden.

The one downside is I'm not sure if we'll get more compost from the township any time soon. They can just dump the delivery when no one's around but I doubt they're considered 'essential personnel'.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad you were able to find some plants. We don't have tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and most herbs available yet either. I seeded 8 tomatoes and 4 cucumbers in pots yesterday. Those are from the seeds I ordered, which just showed up in the mail with no shipping notice.

Most of our markets are not going to open. I heard of one that was setting up with some kind of social distancing protocols, but it's not one I would normally go to.

AFAIK the city is still doing leaf and brush pickup, but I believe the location to pick up processed wood chip mulch is closed until further notice. I can still get chicken poo from the community garden.

It's 37 and dropping. They are saying it could be in the 20's tomorrow morning. I hope I don't lose all my seedlings. The onions will be fine, but the lettuce, chard, etc might not be.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, I hope you don't loose your seedlings. We're supposed to get down to the 30's at night in a few days. Sounds like it won't get to the actual freezing point but close enough. Fortunately, that's becoming fewer and further between these days.

I'd say about half the people in the garden have started work on their plots so far. But we do have to wait a bit to see if the rest are coming back or not. We'll probably see more activity toward the end of the month. Right now, we do have some social distancing precautions set up (no more than 10 people in the garden at a time, wear gloves while there, etc.) but the spring clean event will likely be canceled unless the virus becomes less of an issue in early/mid-May. Thankfully, the planned work events and community parties are usually the only times when there are a large number of people there.

Not sure if the township will deliver more compost. The good thing is, the township has been delivering the compost to us, rather than us having to pick it up. We had picked up compost from another site (a horse stable), but now the town delivers. And they can just drive up when no one's there and dump it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Saw this on my FB. Definitely interesting.

https://germangirlinamerica.com/what...VkV3PSUKCvaBIw

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting. Our county leases plots in several locations. My plot was $125/year the last 2 years I had it. There were a lot of rules.
    The coleus seeds have spouted pretty well. I have 1 impatiens sprouted as of today, I hope more decide to get going. Hubby wanted me to throw away plastic pots I saved but I'll keep them a while longer, hopefully make some nice flower/container combinations. My yard is too shady for any veggies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a pack of coleus seed, never tried to grow them before. I usually buy a cheap pack of assorted ones. They like warmer weather, so I'm waiting a couple weeks. Not sure I have any zinnia left, I have lousy luck with those. Going to put down some morning glory. I had some one year that were huge and beautiful but have not been able to get it to take lately. Going to try a different spot. The sunflower seed I put down has started to sprout.

The freezing temps have not significantly affected the lettuce, beets, chard, etc. They didn't die, but haven't grown a lot either. Peas are coming up! I did not expect them in this cold.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The nights have been cold the past few days. Haven't been in the garden since the weekend. So I"m hopeful my lettuce plants haven't taken a hit (it does get into the 50*s during the day). The community garden I'm a part of is on township land, although I don't think it's actually run by the township. A 10'x20' plot is $35 per year and the 20'x20' plot is $50 per year. And there are rules but they're not too hard to follow, mostly practical - don't walk on other people's plots, keep the weeds under control on your plot and clean up at the end of the season, etc.

Here's an interesting article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/10-pionee...053139501.html

The boy scouts planted fruit trees by our garden which will likely be open to anyone. There is one remaining apple tree since this was an old farm at one point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did some transplanting today. There is a bed under the deck next to my "patio". It is very shady and does not get much water because of the under-deck roof. The only thing that has survived under there is sweet woodruff - I was surprised that some came up and flowered. So I transplanted some more today to fill out the bed. Tried ferns but only 1 has survived. I need to water once in a while w/ the hose.
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...t-woodruff.htm

I also transplanted some spring snowflakes. They have naturalized through rain run-off (the seed pods are hollow and "float". So there are a bunch at the lower edge of the property). I dug up several clumps and planted elsewhere. Explore Cornell - Home Gardening - Flower Growing Guides - Growing Guide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The sweet woodruff sounds nice. We have a shaded area under the big lilac where nothing will grow except that dratted honeysuckle and poison ivy. I have tried so many things, and dumped carloads of wood chips to try and improve the area. The ground is clay and hard as a rock in summer when we get no rain. So many shade plants need moisture.

We've thinned the area a bit, after losing branches last year. My goal this year is just to keep the weeds at bay. Neighbor does nothing on his side of the fence, a lot of stuff crosses over.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since we are staying home this summer, we are spending the vacation budget on the garden. It has been an eyesore since we moved in, but it didn't feel like any point to fix it up until we had new windows and siding on the house. That is now in place, and we are good to go. In addition, I'm working from home and the kids are currently homeschooled (due to corona), so we have a lot of time on our hands. The last few weeks we have:

Removed a small row of thuja and cleaned up dead branches and brush from the "forest" behind our house.
    Planted two plum trees (yellow Reine Claude and red Jubileum) and sweet cherries (lapins)
    Planted a row of fruit bushes: three redcurrants and two blueberries
    Planted a row of peonies (already had two old red ones, but added one White wings and one pink Madame Calot)
    Built a raised bed and planted onions in it. Will add carrots soon.
    Planted a old shrub rose called hurdalsrose. It's my favorite; no thorns, beautiful pink flowers, and can survive anything. Some of them can grow 14 feet tall.
    Planted three clematis and two roses (red Flammentanz and white Lykkefunn) in front of an ugly grey wall.
    Planted a bunch of seeds, and put 4 tomatoes into larger pots.
    Planted a lilac bush
    Planted a row of raspberries

What we have left to do:
    Clean up the last of the garbage and dead branches: cutting the larger into firewood and the smaller into woodchip
    Getting rid of all the garbage we are finding in our "forest". 90 % of it has been there since long before we bought the house, but plastic never disappers
    Building a bed for the potatoes. They are currently sitting in the windowsills of the garage, and will be planted May 2th. (We plan to use some of the rotted wood here as a hugelbed light)
    Build trellises for the clematis and roses to climb on
    Plant more tomatoes in larger pots and figure out where to put them
    Plant more seeds (squash, cucumbers, peas, beans, beets, lavender, pumpkin)

What I'm dreaming about, but haven't convinced DH about yet:
    Plant heartnut and hazelnut trees (maybe also an almond tree, even though it probably won't survive here)
    Build a second raised bed
    Cut the neighbours hedge (it grows into our garden - and we have his blessing to do so)
    Plant more and/or move the rhubarb
    Build a greenhouse/sunroom
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The peas are coming along and have sprouted, despite a few frosts recently. The four lettuce plants I picked up a couple weeks ago are still holding on. They even have a few more leaves. Nothing on the carrots yet. I don't know what I'm going to put in the rest of the plot yet. I think I'll wait a week or so more and go to the florist I picked up the lettuce from. I'll make my decision based on what I find there. I can't wait until the farmer's market opens up again, although that will probably be a few more weeks. It normally opens the first weekend in May.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Planted my strawberries in an old steel tub. Saw the idea on a youtube video. Waiting for my bluberry bush to ship. Should be next week. Dgd will love it. This time I'm putting it in a pot on the deck. Hopefully I have everything I need for the soil. Did research on that.

Put mulch in all the flower beds in the back. Planted a couple of flowers and a hosta in two of the beds. I want to dig up the tulips and daffodils in the front bed to split and replant in all the beds front and back. I think I want to get a couple of small roses for two of the beds in back.

Looking for a new small tree for the front yard. We'll see how things go , we may just not plant anything. I do need to get the front bed looking better. I let it go for the past couple of years. IT's been too rainy in the spring and too hot in the summer, then it's winter. This year I will work on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I put another row of newspaper and straw down yesterday. Hoping the grocery ads come today so I can use them for the next row. Weeds are growing fast. I haven't been going out as much and I forget to pick up the local free papers to use.

Some of the peas are up. Some of the sunflowers are up, only about 1/3 of what was planted. I'm ignoring the strawberries this year and of course they look great. Onions, radishes, lettuce all looking good. Chard and beets seem to be struggling. No sign of the marigolds. Oregano and chives wintered over as usual. Catnip and catmint both survived, a surprise.

No more tomatoes or cucumbers have sprouted. The one cuke has died and one of the tomatoes has died. I'm starting new pots. We have had a few good days but not consistently. For every 70+ day we are getting a string of chilly days.

Tomatoes arrive at the community garden on Friday, but they are still doing carside service, 6 cars at a time and have warned it could be several hours' wait. They are asking that only the lowest income members come the first 2 days, as they are most in need of plants. Fair enough. They are not dividing plant pots, so you have to buy all 3 in a pack. I would normally get 1 ea of 3 different plants. I will have extra, I guess. I have a few friends in the city who might want them. Will see what is left next week.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with your blueberry bush when it comes. Hope everything works out.

My strawberry plants were blooming on Saturday. Some of the old ones seem to have died off but I let them put out runners as well. I'm trying to get them to run down one side of the plot.

Temps are getting warmer so I hope the carrots will finally sprout. I'll figure out what I'll put in the rest of the plot in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH built a small greenhouse for me, but I got a bit to eager and planted the tomatoes in it just before the temperature dropped. Last night about half of the plants froze. We'll see how many will survive this week. Hopefully I won't lose all of them. Some can be replaced with peppers, but I would prefer not having to buy too many plants. It is too late to plant more tomato seeds now.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast