2020 Gardening Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went out and had a good whack at the underbrush growing in the back yard. There are large trees on both sides of the fence and we have let native bushes grow up to screen the housing area behind us from view and provide for the birds. However, there's a good deal of undesirable grapevine, mulberry, wintercreeper, and honeysuckle growing there as well. It's all aggressive and invasive and needs taken out periodically. Also some trees I can't identify that are getting pretty large and will have to come down at some point soon. I'm going to tag a nice looking oak that we might keep for the future. Scanned the usual spots for poison ivy, only one small clump this time. I think I have mostly eradicated it, but neighbors aren't so careful.

Looks like the iris are going to bloom well this year. We didn't get any last year, for some reason.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, glad to hear you got some work done on the underbrush. We have some fruit trees the boy scouts planted back in the fall of 2018. It looks like about 1/2 to 2/3's of them survived. I think the warm winter and recent rain have helped them bloom and leave out. Granted, it's going to be some time before we get any sort of fruit from them but at least they seem to be holding their own.

Spent a little time in the garden today. Did some weeding. I'll plant some cucumber seeds soon. I want to get some for pickling again.

The strawberries are flowering. A number of the plants seem to have died off but I think I have some new ones as well. Not bad, considering they're opportunists and I didn't spend any money on them in the first place.

The peas are coming along but it's been pretty cool recently. The past few days have been the first stretch of warm, clear weather in a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The strawberry plants are looking good. Dgd picked a tiny berry last week and ate it. Can't wait until we get some good ones next year. So far the dogs are staying out of the tub. The blueberry bush came and I need to get it planted. Got all the supplies together to do so. Picked up a tomato plant and need to get it in a pot. Got some lettuce and basil seeds last night. Dgd can help me plant those too. She watches Peppa Pig and talks about tomato salad all the time. It has basil in it. That's all I'll be planting this year. Have some flowers to plant as well. Still need to work on the front flower bed. The back yard beds are done. I found two mini roses to plant in them that needs to be done. Got some pansies for the front and more flower seeds. Need to dig up the bulbs and separate them. They are not blooming anymore. Dgd will be over later today to help me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haven't checked on the plot this week. Yesterday got really cold for the season. Busy today. Sigh. Hopefully I'll be able to stop over tomorrow to check on the strawberries and peas. I just hope things didn't get frost bitten.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the blueberry bush planted, as well as the tomato plant. Planted lettuce and basil and flowers. Dug a little in the front flower bed. Got enough cleared to plant the pansies. Still need to do a little more work in that section. It was getting late and I was tired. Now it's cold. Dh wants to go work on the neighbor's yard behind us. It's already out of hand. She said she had someone coming to clear it out. So far, only someone to mow. No edging being done. I'm just going to do little section of the front bed for now. If I can concentrate on one small area, it doesn't seem so bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

snowed last night and its still cold. Enough already winter. I havent planted anything. Still waiting on seeds DS is sending me plus the few i got hold of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got out and did a little weeding in the garden, laid down more newspaper and straw. Picked a bowl of lettuce and a few radishes. Mostly the radishes are making leaves, it might be pesto again this year. Chard and beets coming along, garlic popping up everywhere. Chives doesn't seem to be coming back. I've had a clump for so long I don't remember where I got it. Maybe it's still too cold? Cut the asparagus to the ground. Several stalks escaped picking and were as tall as I am. Cutting it will make it easier to weed, I've got some obnoxious grasses trying to take hold.

Strawberries doing really well, maybe next year I will consider growing them for fruit again. The squirrels always eat them before they are ripe. Sunflowers coming up. Need to weed that area, I am thinking of planting herbs there this year, too. I already have thyme and sage, but I think we have a few more cold nights before they can go out.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had snow today, and I'm losing hope that my tomatoes will survive. Hopefully we won't lose too much else. It didn't stick, and the weather forecast is improving tomorrow.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gaja, I hope your tomatoes do ok. It seems very early to have planted them.

I checked on my tomatoes and peppers, and found tiny white bugs and grey ones that I think were aphids. Spent half an hour washing each plant, leaf by leaf. Good thing they were in the garage and not outside, or I never would have noticed. Now I have to check and make sure none of the tomatoes or herbs got infected too.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some cucumber and tomato plants from the local florist. It's a good thing I got into the garden since it needed watering. I do need to get out there more often to keep on top of the weeds. But the strawberries seem to be doing good, although some seemed to have died off. Thankfully, they send out runners to create more plants. The peas didn't seem to be doing much at the moment but that might change with the warmer weather. I did see what looks to be some carrot tops, though. The lettuce is taking off, which is good. I've been making sandwiches during the week for lunch and the lettuce will be good for that. I'm actually impressed. Then again, I only tried cabbage one year and that didn't do so well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tackled the other half of the garden today. My plan is to divide and conquer. The bed is roughly 24ft x 8ft, so I marked off 6ft sections and picked one to start.

2020 Gardening Thread-img_20200517_124936239.jpg

It's so overgrown with violets and other weeds you can't even see the paving bricks on the left side. The urn is roughly in the middle, there is another 10-12ft of garden past that. On the right is the old strawberry bed with onions in it, and then on the left behind the urn is a row of garlic and he bushy looking stuff is last year's carrots still in the ground.

I left the debris pile in the foreground, it's good ground cover for now, and tackled the next section over where there is a clump of grass and violets growing amongst the blue tomato cages. Unfortunately, I am out of straw, and didn't even get half of it covered.

Tomorrow I am planning to go to the community garden and get more straw.

This is the underside of our deck. Would like to make something nice out of it, but it needs a lot of clean up and other work. AND, you can't really stand up straight under it.

2020 Gardening Thread-img_20200517_125135276.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH you definitely have your hands full. My yard requires a lot of attention this year because it did not get much several prior years. But next year should be easier. I saw this Pin for your under-deck. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/431290101792491995/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, that's a pretty setting. I hadn't thought of a hanging swing. We had trellis up at one point, it needs replacing but we no longer have a vehicle than can bring home a big sheet of anything. It's hard to tell, but someone dumped white rocks under there years ago, it's covered in dirt and debris now. Nothing, absolutely nothing grows under there, not even weeds. It's a real challenge, and not happening this year. Going to scrape up the last of last year's straw and get the hose set up and that's all I'll have time for. Maybe DH can put the ladder back in the garage.

I understand being behind on yard work. Very little got done the two years I had foot surgery and we're still playing catch up.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have had nice spring weather and then lots of rain so things exploded.. weeds grass grew a foot or more. the boys got the front mowed but the back is a jungle plus what needs weed eating... the morning glory and buttercups ... all the flowers sprung every day more. haven't planted any seeds but got more of the bedding flowers planted in pots etc. all the nurseries are open here. have ds power washing the patio now all the dirt from the past winter so we can put chairs out. did one fairy garden kit had for years and moved pots from front porch to backyard. spring clean time it rained until yesterday so no mowing.

I did what they said online w my broken violet.. leaves in water but after so many months nothing happened. the one I ended up putting w the other part in the part started growing. so split it since it was two plants in separate pots and used the shallow clay pot to plant all the leaves. so will see.

I think the under patio area would be lovely. looks like a nice private area. my yellow rose bush by my kitchen has lovely smelling ones and has just come out in lots of blooms in the last couple of days.
    2020 Gardening Thread-97866731_10158781883017971_4177279295099502592_o-1-.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Gaja, I hope your tomatoes do ok. It seems very early to have planted them.
    Yes, it was far too early. Weirdly enough, it looks like the plants have survived. They haven't grown, and have lost a lot of leaves, so they are much shorter than when I planted them out. But they are surviving.

updating the list:

april:
    Removed a small row of thuja
    Planted two plum trees (yellow Reine Claude and red Jubileum) and one sweet cherries tree (lapins)
    Planted a row of fruit bushes: three redcurrants and two blueberries (pink lemonade and blue crop)
    Planted a row of peonies (already had two old red ones, but added one White wings and one pink Madame Calot)
    Built a raised bed and planted onions in it. Will add carrots soon.
    Planted a old shrub rose called hurdalsrose. It's my favorite; no thorns, beautiful pink flowers, and can survive anything. Some of them can grow 14 feet tall.
    Planted three clematis (piilu, miss bateman and the president) and two roses (red Flammentanz and white Lykkefunn) in front of an ugly grey wall.
    Planted a bunch of seeds, and put 4 tomatoes into larger pots.
    Planted a lilac bush
    Planted a row of raspberries (algonquin, preussen, red princess, 2 yellow Diana)
    Cleaned up garbage and dead branches from the forest area: cutting the larger into firewood and the smaller into woodchip
    Cleared a seating area for evening sun, with a canopy swings
    Cleared a seating area for morning sun, with a bench, and planted a variety of mints and some other herbs (oregano, thyme, in front.

May
    Built a hugelbed for the potatoes. Planted them May 2nd
    Build trellises for the clematis and roses to climb on
    Planted lavendula between the clematis and roses
    Tried to save the blueberry bushes with alum to lower pH, and mychorriza from wild blueberries
    Planted two hazelnut trees (Corylus maxima Waterloo) May 18th
    Planted two minikiwis (Jumbo and Geneva) May 18th
    Cut the neighbours hedge (it grows into our garden - and we have his blessing to do so)
    Planted more rhubarb
    Removed an old hydrangea that wasn't happy, and planted a pink tree peony
    Cut back the old rose bush
    Planted a flower bed outside the front door (north facing). 5 daylillies (Serena Sunburst, Strawberry candy, Arctic snow, Pardon me, Chicago blackout), 2 Anemones (Honorine Jobert, Pamina) May 23rd
    Solar panels finished May 15th
    Got builders in to finish the veranda
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast