2020 Gardening Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to the garden this morning. Everything except the peas seem to be doing well. For some reason, it looks like the peas have been weed-whacked, where the top growth has been sliced off at a certain point. But it only looks like the peas have been eaten and not anything else. The lettuce seems big enough to harvest a few leaves off each one. One cucumber plant seems to be failing but the others and the tomato plants seem to be doing well. I do need to make sure the cucumbers are watered well enough.

No strawberries yet, although they do seem to be coming along. There are some berries but none ripe enough to harvest. Probably because May has been so cool, particularly at the beginning of the month.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went out for a few minutes. Lettuce needs picked again. I will get it tomorrow. I'm going to be on the deck smoking pork anyway. Grabbed a few radishes but they were mostly inedible. Time to make pesto with the leaves. It's been 90F 2 days in a row, they are not going to get any better. We have strawberries! I honestly was not expecting anything since the squirrels usually get them, but the cats have chased them away. I must have picked a dozen nice ones, with more coming. Put them on lettuce for dinner.

Pulled staples out of the last 3 issues of local garden magazine printed on thick newsprint. More mulch for the tomatoes. I'm going to lay it down and put compost on top to hold it until I can get straw. It's not ideal, but better than waiting. The paper will biodegrade soon and allow the compost into the soil.

My peas are not looking great either. I planted 10-20 seeds and had 4 plants sprout. I have a lot of slugs this year, so I spread ash from the wood smoker all over everything.

If I get ambitious I can put my pepper plants in. Cucumbers are still tiny. Some of the tomatoes could go in if I had the bed prepped. And the sweet potatoes need divided before they grow into a mass.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got out into the garden today. Did a bunch of weeding, especially in the raised bed. Wasn't a whole lot, less than 1/3 of the bed but I wanted every blade of grass out of it. And found two bricks that had been buried there. ??? No idea what that was about. Five pepper plants in the ground. Planted 2 cucumbers, they took off this week and have big leaves and are ready to grow. Found an unusual number of slugs while digging. I don't normally see any when I turn soil over. Planted rosemary, chives and thyme.

Picked more lettuce. We are going to have to eat it every day for a while. Picked strawberries. I knew a few were coming but ended up with about 20 nice large ones. The plants are extending runners already.

I picked radish leaves for pesto, and pulled up about half the row of undeveloped roots. It's too hot and they are bolting to flower. Leaving a couple of the larger plants for the bees. Will get the rest of the row in a day or two. Plan is to put a few of the sweet potatoes down in their place. Pulled up some garlic growing in inconvenient places and will use that, too.

Pulled a couple of carrots but they are close to inedible. Left them far too long and they have turned hard and medicinal tasting. Most of those will get composted, but a few will be left to flower.

The weekend is supposed to be cool and rainy, I will have to watch and see how it goes and whether any more can be done. Next week it is supposed to get into the 80's every day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're finally warm in my area. Went into the garden this morning. I'm not the 'clean out every weed' type of gardener. I will likely go out again tomorrow when it's supposed to be cooler to do better weeding, though.

I did finally get some strawberries (which were late this year) and some lettuce. I had the lettuce in a sandwich for lunch. The lettuce is coming along a lot better than I expected. I planted a romaine like type. The carrots are coming along as well and I think I'll have to thin them out. My peas are actually starting to come along. Some of them appear to have been eaten, which is weird since nothing else seems to have been touched. But other have started to grow again. The beginning of the month was really cold, especially at night when it got down into the 30*s.

My tomatoes and cucumbers are starting to grow. I only planted them two weeks ago so I don't expect much from them just yet. I just have to make sure the cukes are watered regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I can't hope to get every weed out of my garden, but we have a couple of very invasive, fast growing grasses that are a problem. I have found that weeding early and aggressively works better than trying to pull it later in the season, and keeps it from seeding. The raised bed was particularly bad.

I remembered to clean a pot and plant thai basil seeds today. Now, hopefully nothing digs in it. My coleus seedlings are starting to grow. They have been ~1/4" for weeks.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to the garden this morning and did a little weeding. I mostly went to pick some more strawberries before the critters get to them. I think the ants are enjoying a few of them, though.

Also watered the plot since we didn't get much rain this month. The cucumbers need regular watering especially early on, if I recall correctly. They got buried by the pea plants last year and didn't do much. So, hopefully they'll better this year since they're no where near the peas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cucumber fruit will be bitter if they don't have enough water.
    My coleus are also incredibly slow to get bigger. I decided to repot them today anyway. I repotted impatiens last week, they are several inches tall at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stopped in the garden yesterday but didn't water anything. I picked some of the lettuce. I only pick a few leaves at a time since I planned on using it for a sandwich. I'm also trying to make them 'last' as long as I can throughout the season by not harvesting the whole head.

Also picked some strawberries. I think they're smaller this year. I don't know if the old original volunteers died out and I'm dealing with young 2nd generation plants. Or if it's because we had a warm winter and cool spring. Either way, they're ripening later this year. Usually I can start harvesting them a couple weeks earlier than I did this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welp. Don't have to worry about watering the cukes today. A storm is coming through and thunderstorms (some strong) are forecast to go on through the rest of the day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had some rain last night, not sure how much because I slept right through it. "Chance" for more tonight.

The lettuce is going nuts. It seems to be all or nothing, and this year it is all coming. I've taken to thinning as I pick, pull the whole plant and tear off the root end. Normally we would share the bounty with DH's co-workers or people in one of my classes, but we can't this year.

Weeded more. The ongoing battle.

Cukes look good. Rosemary died, not sure why. Not replacing it, I rarely use it. I have beets! Not just leaves, but the fat fleshy root parts! That may be a first. The peas are blooming. I think I'll get enough to top a salad.

Still have not planted tomatoes or sweet potatoes. Temps supposed to cool off this weekend and next week, making it more likely I'll get it done.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, it hasn't cooled off. I haven't planted anything new.

Lettuce is still going nuts and needs picked heavily. I got a large basket of swiss chard today and a second picking of pea pods.

Cold front tonight supposed to leave us in the 50's or 60's in the morning. Hoping to get a good amount of work done tomorrow.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, my lettuce is going nuts too. My tomatoes and cucumbers are finally coming along, although they're still behind everything else by a few weeks. This is the first year my carrots seem to be going crazy, as well. Normally I get a few carrots but this year it looks like most of the seeds sprouted.

I think I will stop in the garden again tomorrow to pick some more lettuce. I'm not sure if I'll get more strawberries, though. They're nearly done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a bit jealous of all your gardens! I AM getting enough greens that I don't have to buy salad. Radishes doing well too.
    Got a bigger garden bed kind of fenced (it's fenced but from scraps and bits around my place so looks trashy...kept the chickens out for now though) so put in my tomatoes. It's almost warm enough for them and supposed to rain for the next week a little each day. Hope they like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your chickens and tomatoes.

It's been in the 90's all week but I have managed to get out nearly every morning and do a little work. I planted two yellow squash I got on clearance, two green peppers, 6-8 sweet potato slips, and 8 tomatoes. Have some peppers left, but no space for them, wasn't sure they'd live so I had seeded extra. Have 3-4 tomatoes left to plant.

Watered peas, sweet potatoes, chard and beets.

The sage died, and it's too late to get a replacement this year. Lost one of the sunflowers to wind early in the week.

Picked a 3rd handful of pea pods. Even though I only have 3 plants they are doing better than I can remember in the past.

This is part of my garden, where I have been working this week. Clumps of last year's carrots on the left, garlic in the middle, and on the far right rows of lettuce and greens. It's all been covered in straw mulch and planted with tomatoes. My sad looking compost bins by the house, and clumps of lilac around the back deck. Morning and evening it is in shade, but it has sun all during the afternoon.

2020 Gardening Thread-img_20200611_195206335.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been getting lettuce leaves every time I go into the garden (which is usually a few times a week). I need to see how the carrots are coming along underground. The tops look good.

I'm getting some flowers on the peas (one or two as of earlier this week) and tomato plants. I think I saw one on the cucumbers. I do need to keep up the watering on the cukes, though. We had rain on Thursday so I'm not too worried.

I'm pleased that I'm getting out to the garden more than once a week this year. I think it's because most things are still shut down so I'm not being distracted. That and I'm working from home so I've gone to the garden during the week to get lettuce for my lunch sandwiches.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast