2020 Gardening Thread - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our snap peas are doing okay. The purple beans are doing well and flowering. Those were planted late due to cold weather this spring. I think there's too much shade at one end of that area. I've been saving a stack of old windows to make cold frames for spring planting, but haven't gotten to that project yet. Maybe next yr.

Our tomatoes are loving the greenhouse this yr. We've never gotten so many peppers before either.
    2020 Gardening Thread-20200728_162201_1596299578369.jpg

Most things are thriving except summer squash. Not sure why.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gaja, glad to hear you are having some successes in your garden. It is hit or miss here some years too. There was much trial and error in learning what will grow well in my climate, and in my yard.

I pulled out the last of the radishes last week. They were long past eating and had stopped flowering, too. This gives the sweet potatoes more space.

My smaller tomatoes are doing best, the tiny currant tomatoes and the sungold. The others are still growing. They usually come in later in the summer, right up to the first freeze.

The chard has gone bitter. I trimmed some of the old leaves back, but there was a large spider so I left her alone. She is a good spider, not dangerous and will eat many bugs. When it cools off we will be able to eat the young chard leaves again, in fall.

Got my first jalapeno and have to check on the bell pepper as there was a large one almost ready last weekend.

Harvested a row of onions. They are not large, don't do well for me, but I have been using them almost every day. I need to pull the garlic, if I can find it. I did not plant any but had volunteers this year. Some of the stalks produced heads of seed, which I spread in an area where they can grow next year.

There have been a number of cucumbers and we need to eat more of them. Usually I send extras to work with DH, but he is working at home.

I also have beets, this is the first time I have grown them successfully, and they are very sweet and tasty. I am getting 2-3 a week which is just right for the two of us.

We had a huge amount of rain this week, which is not normal, but the garden is very happy.

2020 Gardening Thread-dscn1644.jpg

It looks a mess because this was taken before I weeded it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love the greenhouse, SD.

Replanted a Japanese eggplant yesterday and transplanted two butternut squash plants.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Madhen. We really like it, even if we're still learning how to use it. We got it at a rummage sale for $100. It came with a bunch of stuff including $250 worth of heavy timbers it sits on, tables, shelving, plastic plant trays, pots, potting soil, all kinds of goodies. We were shocked when we came to pick it up because we thought we were only buying the gh itself, not all the furnishings and accessories. And then the sellers told us to borrow their trailer to get it all home, so we didn't have to completely disassemble the walls. Really nice people.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice haul!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's one of our all time favorite finds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Planted some sugar cane starts today. I remember, as a kid, my dad bringing home cut sugar cane as a special treat. I planted the starts in a pot for now, and I will let them overwinter in the house. Next spring, I will try to find a home for them, probably near the pond, and hope for some cane treats before summer's end!

Also received some awapuhi ginger rhizomes. Those will also go in a container. I have common ginger and Myoga ginger growing in containers, and they seem to do well here, so I am excited about seeing how these rhizomes do.

Got some more seeds, so there may be some more fall planting going on the immediate future!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567