2020 Gardening Thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do radish sprouts for "crispy" in salads with leaf lettuce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was already planning on radish sprouts, Maggie. Thanks! It's nice to hear from someone who already tried it. I love radish sprouts, since the price of radishes went nuts a couple yrs ago, and store radishes don't have much flavor anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I transplanted some bush beans this morning. Still have about seven I need to find some space for! My hydroponic lettuce seeds just sprouted, but my timer for the water flow won't be here until tomorrow, so I am holding off on putting them in the Tower Garden for now.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Woo hoo! My mango tree arrived!! FedEx is playing havoc with my heart. This tree (and two others) were supposed to arrive on Saturday. Then, on Saturday evening, FedEx changed the estimated delivery to Monday. Suddenly, I get an email that part of my shipment has been delivered today! Good thing I was home (thanks, COVID) and able to run up to the gate and rescue the poor thing from cooking in its delivery box.

2020 Gardening Thread-haden.jpg
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you got (and saved) your mango tree, madhen. There's a vendor at my farmer's market that sells lemon trees, most likely dwarf sized trees.

Finally got back into the garden again. My plot's pretty much overrun with weeds. Between the heat and working from home due to the pandemic, I haven't really gotten out of the house much, other than going to the grocery stores and other similar errands. Fortunately, I don't have to rely on my garden for produce. There have been a couple of rabbits that have gotten into the garden and we're looking at ways to get rid of them humanly.

I have to check with the local florist to see if they still have veggie plants for sale. I may try and get some late season plants in. If nothing else, I'll ask for their suggestions on what to put in. But it's just been so hot this last month. With the heat and the rain, I think a lot of plants (especially the weeds) just took off. I can still get a whole bunch of mint from the herb garden to dry for the fall and winter, though.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your mango looks good. I have received plants in pretty bad condition before.

Ren, the weeds are nonstop here, too. Not helped by the amount of rain we're getting this year. I can definitely tell which areas I mulched well and which I did not.

I went out today after the rain:

2020 Gardening Thread-img_20200809_193222473.jpg

My larger variety tomatoes are still not producing. Two of the plants are getting huge with lots of leaves and no flowers. I'm wondering what I got. The others look fine, but aren't doing much.

I'm thinking about drying the jalapenos, I have about a dozen more coming.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so impressed with all your efforts! No mango tree here...but my blueberries had blueberries today! I chased off a bird and ate the handful the she hadn't gotten yet. My blueberry is in a pot...not much output.

Little black bugs ate all my arugula and radish greens! DANG IT! I hear I need diatomaceous earth (spelling??) to get rid of them so that is on my list for next time I'm in town. The bugs seem to hate kale and chard and weren't in the same bed as the lettuce...yet...
    Some slug is eating the lacinato kale but not the curly kale. Oddly specific preference.

It looks like I might have pickable beans shortly. That's a first for me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that will be fun a mango tree.. not hot enough here. my apple tree is going along though. easy to grow free from neighbours.

oooh all those lovely tomatoes.. only have a few left. beans only 6 inches high now don't know if not enough sun or what this year. I think there slugs back after years of being gone too. my blueberries have come and gone. only blackberries left to come.

I think I will get around and see if there is any discounted leftover stuff at local places. still need a grape vine etc. one plan at a time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think mango trees would only work here if they're either kept inside or at least kept inside during the winter. The community garden I'm a part of has some fruit trees but no mangoes. They're still really young so we won't get any fruit for several years, if not for another decade. I think several didn't take but most did. I think they survived the storm last week, probably because they're still young and therefore flexible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mango trees *allegedly* can be grown in Zones 9-10, with some frost protection. There are also several dwarf varieties that can be grown in containers, so they can be brought into a more protected area in the winter. The fruit is ridiculously expensive out here, and they are one of my favorite fruit, both fresh and in smoothies, so I decided it was worth the try. I have a second mango and a banana tree also on the way, hopefully arriving today. All three will be container plants for now, until I feel more comfortable about leaving them outside.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Second mango (Variety "Fruit Punch") and Hass avocado FINALLY arrived! Still waiting on the banana tree.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTru View Post

Little black bugs ate all my arugula and radish greens! DANG IT! I hear I need diatomaceous earth (spelling??) to get rid of them so that is on my list for next time I'm in town. The bugs seem to hate kale and chard and weren't in the same bed as the lettuce...yet...
    Some slug is eating the lacinato kale but not the curly kale. Oddly specific preference.
    You can spread wood ash from a fire place or pit and that will keep a lot of bugs off your plants. Slugs especially, but also things like aphids and pill bugs. Like diatomaceous earth it has sharp edges which damage small bugs and gets into their joints and kills them. Tomatoes love it (but not all plants do) and it is good for your grass, too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a few friends on facebook posting pictures from their gardens. Lots of cucumbers and tomatoes. My poor tomato plant didn't do well. Only 4 green tomatoes and one fell off last night. They aren't very big either. Kind of disappointed. Too much rain. We had a good amount of lettuce in the spring. Dgd loved growing her lettuces. She helped me pick it for dinner one day. I forgot to buy lettuce, so we used the one we grew. The ghost pepper plant looks great. I found one good sized pepper on it. I don't know why we grow it, we don't eat any of them. Usually just give them away. I think it was back when ds was still here. The blueberry bush is looking good. I don't think there will be any blueberries this year (1st year). The strawberry plants look good. A few strawberries here and there, very tiny. I want to move them to the deck next year. They are in a corner now, behind the privacy screen and I forget about them. Told dh I want to do some more planting on the deck. He's fine with that. I have some ideas of what I want to do. I'll do some research for the best container plants.

We have a light in the basement. We keep the pepper plant there in the winter. I may use my cart to put plants on and try growing something this winter. At least get seeds started for the spring. The cart can be moved, so that would be the best option.

I'd like to get a cutting off my parent's dogwood tree and try to root it. It was a tree I planted when I was in 3rd grade. I would love to have one in my yard and dgd's yard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Repotted my Boston fern today, and now I have eight plants instead of one. Not sure if they will all survive, but fingers crossed.

My Hibiscus acetosella (Cranberry Hibiscus) seeds sprouted!! I am looking forward to seeing how those do. I have a Hibiscus sabdariffa, which is very similar. Someone told me that you can make tea out of the leaves and flower buds, so I am looking forward to trying that when they get a little bushier.

Transplanted some bush bean plants into a little spot in one of my raised beds that opened up. Harvested some bell peppers.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jettsmom View Post

We have a light in the basement. We keep the pepper plant there in the winter. I may use my cart to put plants on and try growing something this winter. At least get seeds started for the spring. The cart can be moved, so that would be the best option.
    I want to try that with a pepper plant this year. Do you let it go dormant or do you keep watering it like a houseplant?
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast