2020 Gardening Thread - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Transplanted some eggplants into the ground from their nursery pots.

Started some Paulownia seeds. I have a Paulownia tomentosa tree that showed up out of nowhere about six years ago and has been bonsai-d in a flower pot ever since because that is where it opted to grow. I never knew what it was, but I really liked the flowers in the spring. Every year, I thought it was dead by fall, because it went dormant. Finally figured out last year that it was supposed to be a huge shade tree, and I would love one in the middle of my pasture, but the one in the flower pot is pretty gnarled and twisted, so I don't think it would adapt. Happily, it produces a LOT of seeds every year (although not a single one has ever volunteered in my yard - weird). This year, I am going to try to baby some along and, if I have success, I will plant one of its children out in the pasture.

Attached a pic of what a mature Paulownia should look like. Mine looks like it was raised on a coastline with nothing but rock and strong winds for company.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not much going on today, garden-wise. I spent some time yesterday finally transplanting a bunch of succulents. Today was just a maintenance day. The cucumbers are going gang-busters, but not much fruit on them yet. I found another butternut squash growing in a container I had given up on some time ago, so I will probably have to find a spot for it to grow.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Picked up three big planters and five 7-gallon nursery pots. I will be using three of the latter to transplant my two mango trees and avocado tree. The chickens got into the kitchen garden (because I was careless and left the gate open) but I was able to shoo them out before they did too much damage.
    DH aka Mad Hen

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty much given up on my garden plot for this year. Lack of motivation was a big issue this year due to working from home during the pandemic. So, right now I'm starting to clean up the plot early for the end of the season. Mostly, I'm doing some raking to bruise up the weeds to make it easier to pull them out on a later date. The rake does pull up some of the weeds as well.

Sigh.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was about to start cleaning up the garden in preparation for the fall season, and get some lettuce and cool season crops in. We had a good amount of rain last week and the ground is nice and soft. However, after thinking about the work involved I have decided to skip it this year in favor of finishing the basement. Both are a lot of work, but getting the basement set up and the storage trailer emptied is going to save us another month of rental fees. The garden would provide a few dollars worth of lettuce and maybe cabbage for the same effort.

Meanwhile I have a lot of produce coming in. Tomatoes and peppers are ripening slowly in the warm afternoons. I have late started squash starting to develop. The chard is recovering and needs trimmed back, but I can start harvesting that again. Missed the garlic again. It came and went and has re-emerged. It will go dormant over the winter and hopefully can be harvested next year. I bought more to plant this fall, too. There are beets to dig up as we need them... the tomatoes have taken over that area. The sweet potato vines seem to be doing well. I'll have to look up when the harvest period is.

Todays takings:

2020 Gardening Thread-img_20200914_111329164.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This morning I rescued 2 Boston Fern (no pots) someone threw in the woods at public park. (Saw them yesterday while walking the dog.) I have 2 old plastic pots (look like terra cotta) in suitable size but I think I want to spray paint them. I should use spray paint specific for plastics? These will look great on the patio next year. I currently have 2 potted hostas on the patio but I better plant them in the yard soon, they won't over-winter in pots.
    Oh, just looked at hubby's stuff and we have Krylon that should work. I need to scrub the pots then I'll ask him to spray them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a weird little plant that I rescued while on a detail last year. I still have no idea what it is. Not even sure if it needs dry soil or wet soil. It looks a lot like a Tillandsia, but there would have been no reason for it to be where I found it. I put it in a pot of soil under some misters and kind of forgot about it, as it is behind some other plants. I checked on it last week, and there appears to be a pup!! (Again, much like a Tillandsia.) No idea what I'm doing, but I couldn't just let it die there. I also have a succulent that someone threw in the trash that I rescued on a trip to Monterey, found while I was walking my dog. It is now happily growing in my house.

Planted ginseng two days ago, so wait and see on that one. Divided my lemongrass and tackled the massive rootball that used to be individual lily plants in my pond. I hacked out about 20-30 plants, and I still have a long way to go toward getting that pond under control again!

Planted some cattail seeds a few weeks ago, and they are growing, so woo hoo!! I don't know why I am excited, as cattails grow like weeds out here, but I am.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting, I never heard of tillandsia. I was given a small flowering kalanchoe years ago and rooted MANY new plants from cuttings in a glass of water. They keep growing and growing and growing.... never has flowered again though. The african violet leaves that SIL gave me in cups of dirt are still green but no new leaves coming up. I am assuming they are rooted but still waiting to see what happens. That is why I like rooting in water - you can see what is going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

African violets take a bit. You should see tiny little leaves coming up at the base, where the donor leaf meets the soil. I have noticed that the ones that don't root turn brown and shrivel up pretty quickly, so you should be fine. I have never had much luck with African violets. They are too fussy for me in regards to watering.

Tillandsia are also called air plants. They are the ones that don't need soil, because they get all their nutrients from rain water and the atmosphere. I.e, spanish moss. If this one I found is a tillandsia, the way I treated it should have killed it. But it is growing, so the mystery continues!

I know what you mean about rooting in water. I have several willow branches in water right now. Looking at the new growth of leaves, I would have assumed they had a full root system, but I can see the stems, and the roots are just little 1/4" hairs right now. On the other hand, I have some hibiscus cuttings in soil, and they are SLOWLY growing, but I have no idea what is going on with the roots.

Transplanted a "Sugar Rush Peach" pepper yesterday. It will overwinter in the house, as I started it too late to get any fruit from it this summer.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I gave herb gardening a shot this year. We put planters on the deck railing and I planted rosemary, chives, parsley, thyme, oregano, sage and basil. I had so much fun with that little garden!

We loved the taste of the fresh herbs in recipes. Such a difference from the dried. Fall is hitting us here in Maine so I need to harvest what I can from them to use over the winter. I know the chives and the rosemary will come back but I need to research the others and see if they come back or not.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789