2020 Gardening Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2020 Gardening Thread

Well, I signed up for the garden again. I even picked up some seeds already. I think I will get into the garden next week. This upcoming weekend will likely be the last one for cold temps (around freezing at night). It's been a warm winter, so I think I will likely be able to get the seeds in early.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Doing the same here. I went last week and got my membership and some seeds. I think we will have one more week of cold temps. The other day I looked at all my seeds (lots from last year should still be good) and made a little chart of planting dates. March 15-April 15 for about half of them, so it's time to get the garden ready. I raked and made a big pile of leaves and debris last week. Have to decide where to put stuff, since I try and rotate crops every so often.

Today I cleaned the wild flower bed, including pruning the mystery bushes. They are too big for being right next to the house and I haven't been able to trim them in 2-3 years. DH came out for a few minutes and trimmed the forsythia, which is starting to spread and send up runners. Mine is blooming at the same time as the neighbor's, which is odd. Usually theirs is a week earlier.

May be achy tomorrow but it was good to get out of the house for a while.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you got a lot of work done, CH.

I need to get started on cleaning up my plot. That's going to take a bit of work, as usual.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rain tonight and then we're supposed to have 3 days this week where I can get stuff planted. Going to be a busy time.

Got the newsletter from the big local garden center warning that many of their plant suppliers have moved into medical marijuana and there are some shortages of certain plants. I'm wondering how much of a change that is going to be. Most of what they can't find is flowers, but there have got to be vegetable seeders thinking maryjane is more profitable than lettuce or tomatoes, too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I will try and get my first work day in the garden over the upcoming weekend. Hopefully it won't rain that hard (which makes it hard to weed). Last weekend was too cold as the temps at night got down into the 30*s. We had heavy rain on Monday (and was cold). I've been busy the past couple of days so I haven't been able to get into the garden. Sigh. I also have to pick up better gardening gloves before working in the garden as well since I think the ones I have are too large. Since I'm in a community garden, we're trying to make sure everyone stays safe during the outbreak. Thankfully, I have my own tools I can use, rather than using the community tools.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Parkseed.com currently has $2.99 shipping on seed orders.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Tuesday I put in an order for tomatoes and cucumbers from my regular place (totallytomatoes) but haven't even had an email confirmation. I don't know if they will suddenly show up, or if the company is shut down. Their website indicated nothing and happily took my CC info. But that was the backup plan in case I can't get plants locally.

More digging and spreading compost today.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Garden:

2020 Gardening Thread-dscn1528.jpg

Forked about 1/5 of the planting area plus raised bed. Planted peas. Compost not ready this year so I spread some chicken manure pellets. Blue stakes show where rows of greens will go in.

The urn is getting moved....somewhere. I initially thought I could put herbs in it but it turns into a fry pan in summer. The back half of the bed, from approximately the urn back is going to be tomatoes. That area has not had tomatoes in a few years. I still need to dig up the right side of the area, but I have a month before tomatoes go in.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned a new type of snake when working in the yard yesterday. Eastern Wormsnake. Yes, it looks like a really big worm which I thought it was and tried to pick it up (I only saw the back end, not the front end). Fortunately they don't bite. Whew.
    https://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...worm_snake.php

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still haven't gotten into the garden yet, although I plan on it this weekend. I did pick up some more seeds since I'm not sure if or when the farmer's market will open. I also picked up some gardening gloves that will fit better than the ones I had before. I would've gone into the garden last weekend but it ended up raining. Hopefully it won't be that wet this coming weekend, although it'll probably be still be chilly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got my lettuce, onions, chard, beets, and radishes planted a few days ago. Just waiting for it to rain. We've had a couple near misses this week, hoping the rest of the season isn't like that. Planted 4 packs of sunflower seed. Sure I will get volunteer tomatoes there, too. I'm going to put herbs in front of the sunflowers.

Almost time to start tomatoes and peppers. I got the seeds I ordered. Have pepper seed saved from last year. Also bought some grocery store garlic to plant. Maybe, it's very late to get it going. We may have a freeze this weekend. Personally, I don't think so, but it will be too cold for seedlings for a few weeks yet.

Debating putting in squash -- yellow or green -- bugs get it every year just as it starts to produce. We had a very mild winter, even though we had more snow than average, it didn't get cold enough to kill a lot of bugs and I think it will be bad this summer.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH and I went to get straw. I checked by email to make sure they had it. Were about 5 people there when we showed up, no crowd, no lines, no problem. We took a big piece of plastic to put in the trunk of the car, DH put the straw in the back and we were done.

Radishes are coming up!

It's a mild day, a little cool but not windy so I should be able to get a nice layer of newspaper down without it blowing all over the neighborhood, and use straw to hold it down.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    I learned a new type of snake when working in the yard yesterday. Eastern Wormsnake. Yes, it looks like a really big worm which I thought it was and tried to pick it up (I only saw the back end, not the front end). Fortunately they don't bite. Whew.
    https://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...worm_snake.php
    wow does look like a worm!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this week is suppose to nice high 50's and early 60s temp. since we had hail etc last week hopefully all over. getting kids to clean up yard etc because every year there is garbage floating around. apparently I am the only one who notices stuff like that. dh found ancient flower seeds in his office so will see. have a tin of seeds of various types and the free sunflower seeds too. did dig out some seed pots etc. so will start them this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done in the garden on Saturday but haven't done anything since. I'm thinking of getting a bit more done today. I just have to remember to bring my gloves and seeds if I go. I forgot them yesterday when I took my walk. Thankfully, the garden is in walking distance of my apartment complex. So I can both garden and get my walk in.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast