Keyhole garden

Thread: Keyhole garden

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Keyhole garden

Has anyone tried one? I would really like some feedback before I make the effort of trying one.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome back, Madhen!

I had to look up keyhole gardens. I like the concept because the layout makes it easy to reach all areas for planting, maintenance, and harvesting. I don't see any obvious downside. If I was designing one for myself, I would use materials wide enough to sit on to save my back, and line the bottom with plastic jugs to cut the cost of dirt when filling. Most plants don't need more than 6-8" of soil to grow in, except the obvious stuff like potatoes and long carrots. We used large cinder blocks for our rectangular raised beds and capped those with 4" thick solid concrete blocks and that has worked very well for us. Not pretty, but we had a large pile of them so no cost (concrete blocks are ridiculously cheap anyway), and once built, no maintenance and they'll last for decades. I see someone did a cinderblock keyhole garden on Pinterest, so someone else liked the idea, too.

I hope if you make a keyhole garden, you will post pics. Fun project!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am trying to figure out where I could put it where the chickens wouldn't turn it into a big dirt-bathing pool.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Three foot posts and chicken wire would keep them out, wouldn't it? Chicken poo is good fertilizer, so you could let them in for dirt baths during the off season. Would making the garden walls 3' high keep them out? That's a comfortable height for working a garden while standing up.

Just spitballing here. Our particular gardening problem is deer, and I don't have any experience with chickens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chicken wire would keep them out, but that would also make it difficult for me to get in there and manage the plants. I have a few deer but they seem to ignore the veggies. They do a nice job of keeping my fruit trees pruned up to head height!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'd just need a gate in the chicken wire, and enough space between the fence and garden walls. Think of the garden like a swimming pool, with the chicken wire fence back 2-3' from all the garden walls, making a walkway around the pool. Then just leave the gate open when you want to let the chickens in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our deer keep our ornamental apple trees nicely pruned, too. Less work for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    You'd just need a gate in the chicken wire, and enough space between the fence and garden walls. Think of the garden like a swimming pool, with the chicken wire fence back 2-3' from all the garden walls, making a walkway around the pool. Then just leave the gate open when you want to let the chickens in.
    Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking chicken wire over the garden itself. I am currently draining a HUGE kiddie pool that takes up a corner of a fenced kitchen garden. I may try the keyhole garden in there. I have ONE chicken who can clear a six foot fence and who hangs out in the kitchen garden area, but she is pretty respectful of mature plants.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a plan, and a good repurpose.