What is the biggest challenge you face.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What is the biggest challenge you face.....

While trying to be as self sufficient as possible? For us I think it is still being dependant on the electric companies for our electricity. We would love to go solar when we have the money but for now other than heating with wood and a generator as back up we still have to pay those big dollars out every month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our biggest challenge is finances. Because dh is retired and working only at odd jobs here and there, it means really watching our finances. It means when budget breakers happen, it can throw us for a loop if were not really careful and challenges us to the limit.

We've worked so hard at being self-sufficient, that although its a challenge, its not as big a challenge as the finances are.

If we weren't self-sufficient though, we would never be able to live our homesteading dreams.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good question.....I think it would be that even though DH and I share so many of the same homesteading views, he is on the road all week and I am here with the kids myself. DH gets frustrated sometimes when he can't get everything done that he wants in the short period of time that he's home. We have really been thinking alot lately of what is REALLY important and our long term goals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that it is our different views. DH has no real understanding of being self sufficient. Not that I am all knowing or anything, but I have been trying to do more for ourselves and to spend less as well. And finances are terribly difficult as well. But the different views are the hardest part...plus the city's not too helpful with the things I want to do to the property for self sufficiency. City rules they drive me nuts. What I can do what I can't do, all sorts of rules. that is a big problem too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would love to be able to provide our electricy via solar power or wind power but I think that the cost will always be prohibitive for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is waht has been holding us back for quite awhile, money but I keep saving all I can I just keep hoping someday we will make our goal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do want an off/on the grid home someday. Something that we can do either. We will always be dependent on buying meat. I can't imagine going vegan.

Another challenge is my health. I am not going to get better, I already have arthritis in my back. I know that as time goes on, I will be able to do less.

But I am happy with as much as we already do. Like CJ, now its more a need then a dream. But we are happy to do it. I like having better food for our family. Last year when I couldn't can because of pain, my husband did it.