Dana's Ducks

Thread: Dana's Ducks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Dana's Ducks

I thought I would start out this forum. I wanted to tell you gals about my daughter's ducks and, I guess this is a good forum for that story! My DD(Dana) and SIL(Mike) bought a place with almost two acres. We always had dogs, cats, hamsters, rats, you know, any kind of pets you can have in town, when my kids were small. I guess that is why we are all such animals lovers in our family! Dana has her goats, chickens, cats, dogs and a fish. She has a freind that works with an animal organization our family used to volunteer with. Her friend told her they had too many ducks to care for and they needed help. Dana went out to get two ducks. Her dad and I said "Oh ya, two ducks". She brought home nine!!!LOL! Each of them has been disabled for one reason or another. One has almost no feet at all because he ate toxins when he was tiny. They all limp around the pasture together. So cute! Mike calls them"Jerry's Ducks". If any of you have land, you might think about going to animal rehab groups and adopting some ducks or other animals that need help.

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is so nice! We have a huge yard, but don't think the neighbors would put up with livestock of any sort.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Am I ever glad I found this thread!!
    We just moved to the country on alittle over an acre. I am in the process of clearing a place for a chicken coop so I can get my first real chickens. (I had plastic ones in the yard in the city lol) Im purchasing A bunch of Rhode Island Reds from a breeder nearby. Very friendly girl.
    I was thinking of getting ducks but since we dont have a pond I thought no. But Dh wants to put a small water feature pond out int he yard. How much water do ducks need??BTW Im ROFLing at the comment "Jerrys Ducks" LOL
    ~Michele~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dana and Mike have a large pasture and they run the sprinkler back there a lot to keep everything green. They also have a childrens plastic pool for the animals. That's the only actual water, other than buckets for drinking. Mike just put a ramp up to the pool so the "differently abled" ducks can get to the water and back out. They also have a plastic pool out front for the neighbors ducks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh see, then we have enough water for ducks then!! Ya!!

Now heres another dumb duck question,lol Do they need a place to sleep, like chickens need the coop?
    ~Michele~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dana and Mike have a stall in their barn that the ducks can go into. One of the ducks just laid eggs in the duck's stall and another duck laid her eggs in the chicken coup! I see ducks at parks all of the time, that don't have covered areas but, we feel more comfortable knowing they aren't out in the cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathi,
    I wonder if I put them in the chicken run & coop at night they would get along fine with the hens? What a wealth of information you are and your stories just keep me so motivated!!
    ~Michele~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The ducks and the chickens seem to do fine together. They really don't pay much attention to each other. The duck that laid her eggs in the coup, just kind of tucked them in a corner. The ducks kind of have their own little group and the chickens have their group. I'm not much of a farmer but, feel free to ask any questions, and if it is something I know about from Dana and Mike's place, I will be glad to help.