Household Binders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Household Binders

Ok, I've decided that I *have* to make some order out of the chaos that are my household binders.

I have food data, recipes, seasonal calendars, weight to volume and other measurement conversions, a price book, coupons, and coupon tracking files, bibliography, cookbook indexes, etc. All in a mish mash of papers, computer files, notebooks, etc.

I also have a huge old covered rolodex I want to use for recipes.

So...

first thing this a.m, I put the bibliography, such as it is, in a computer file and threw out the scribbled pages. Then I found a file that told me how to make a template for a rotary card (I have a box of cards, somewhere, with instructions on doing this, somplace, already....) and got completely lost in Microsofts mail merge explanations and lack of them. I think I'll use filemaker, again, as it's easier to use, for me at least.

So, briefly, what I came up with was this:

FOOD

1-actual recipes (rolodex)
    2-cookbook index, TAT recipes to be put into database and then put into rolodex and pages and notes kept in the meantime, includes bibliography
    3-food facts: when in season, storage times, cheapest forms, hints, substitutions by food OR type of food
    4-kitchen reference: conversion charts (volume to weight, yield per lb, measurement conversions
    5-online reference: websites
    6-seasonal calendar (all fresh foods) complete
    7- shopping list with boxed" items. (Boxed items are those items that I know are going to be needed and are not currently. I need to keep an eye out for bargains on these items. They appear on my shopping list with a box around them.)

NONFOOD

1-directions for things we use up all the time if we make them (soap, etc.) possibly formatted for rolodex at some point?
    2-how-to index, where to find useful data, includes bibliography
    3-misc. facts: when on sale, etc.
    4-conversion charts, if appropriate
    5-online references
    6-seaonal buying calendar (complete)

COUPONS
    1-current "want" list from couponmom (a concept I'm trying out, it might work!)
    2-this week's mygrocerydeals.com shopping list
    3-coupons index (by expiration date, then brand name in computer)
    4-deals, contests I want to look into page (handwritten)
    5 - Complete list of nonfood "box" items? (TP, laundry soap, dish soap, computer paper, etc.)

FINANCES
    1-Current debt list
    2-Projected payment list
    3-Information to consider. (Article in the Boston Globe a few weeks ago re getting your home owner's insurance revisited every year, etc.)

Gee it's no wonder I can't get my brain around all of this, there's a LOT here!

The biggest outstanding job is to get the data files I've already got into one consistent format and the filing into one master plan, which I think I've done above.

With that, I think I can take the 8,000 (?) pieces of paper and the 100s of computer files and maybe make some sort of order from the overwhelming quantity of data I've accumulated in the past 10-20 years!

How do you do this? Or is this simply a case where, yet again, I've acquired a piece way bigger than I can chew?

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

wow, i see efficiency!
    what about making a simple database to store all this in?
    there are lots of free ones (opensource for instance) or if you have MS (Access database) is ok too.
    But, it's a lot of data entry on your part. (either entering all the info OR linking to the files you've created on your computer. - I'd recommend the latter.)

Otherwise, I think the rolodex is a super cool idea! Are there really big ones to use? (bigger than the small phone ones, but not as big as a sheet of paper maybe?) and you could use it to store all the info you have... and make it a creative project too... on pretty paper, with pretty sleeves, etc.

good luck whatever you decide and KUDOS for your organization!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile PerSue,

Yeah, there are large ones that people used to use out there. I have one for my business contacts that is a complete circle. The one I found for my recipes is even larger than that!

Thanks for the comment! The reason I decided to use FileMaker is that I've been using it for oh 20 years or so for my business so it's usually easier for me to use than other programs (not always true). I also have access to excell and the open office programs. We'll see!

Thanks again --
    Judi

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How cool! I started some binders last May before the tree fell on our house and destroyed 1/3 of our top floor. I have done my best to keep up with my financial binders but my recipe, craft, and gardening ones have suffered. All that info is in a huge pile. Our work on the house is 3/4 complete. When I have my den/craft room I look forward to being organized again. Keep up your good work. You seem to have it together!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found that by breaking things down into monthes and then a binder for food and house stuff and one for finances works best for me. I'm not computer literate and don't feel comfortable putting everything in here. Not to mention there are times when I don't access the web for days at a time. I also picked up 12 computer paper boxes. These sit on a high shelf in my office like right a ceiling hight. These hold all the assorted junkie for celebrating each month. No more hunting all over for that Easter bunny tablecloth I bought at a yard sale in July last year. Its in the box!
    For organizing I have found that if I sit down and file for one or two hours with out getting distacted (lol) I can stay on top of things. Sometimes this means I call a metime Sat. or Sun and close the door.
    Love the roledex idea I had one my boss used to call the football because of its size. They store everything.

LAurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks all for the comments. What I got done yesterday, and am still working on today is this:

2-cookbook index, includes bibliography

X bibliography copied

3-food facts: when in season, storage times, cheapest forms, hints, substitutions by food OR type of food

X data from notebook copied Both the seasonal foods data base and the fresh foods notebook data need to coincide. That effort A-C was completed this a.m. (I have 200+ items in my fresh foods calendar.)

What I expect to get done in the next 45 minutes (before I MAKE myself go clean something) is the two pages from the original notebook of food substitutions.

Thanks again for all your kind words!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Instead of binders, how about saving everything on disc? I have been thinking about doing this as if for some reason, I can't afford internet, I will have everything on a couple of discs. It saves on paper and binders and taking up so much room. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could do everything on binders if you have a good program setup (like Excel). I'd love to put all of my binders onto CD-ROM, then put them into protector sheets and three-hole punch them into a binder.

Binders are a great way to either start on the road to having household binders as your daily arsenal to simplifying your life, or as a main stay for those whom aren't too computer savvy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think you need to do both disks and paper. We lose power here midwinter for anything up to 2 weeks, and I don't have a computer in the kitchen, yet. It's in the planning for the "next phase" but there's money and time constraints of course.

I because of the "fling thing" goal here now have a new section. An in/out set of sheets. I fold a piece of notebook paper in 1/2 longways. On the front in the first column I list things coming in. On the back, with the page folded over the first "in" column, I write the things that are going out. So far I have part of the first "in" column filled in, and I'm on the 2nd column of things going "out." I hope to continue that trend!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the binders idea. Bought some recently at the dollar store with all their back to school stuff out.

I use it mainly for crafting patterns I have found free off the internet. I have sewing and crochet in separate binders and have divided knitting patterns into separate subject binders.

I did buy several packages of sheet protectors also which is an added expense but it keeps papers really organized and protected. I can then take the sheet protector out for whatever project I'm working on.

I have a recipe binder too. It's amazing how many free recipes are out there.

I especially love:

http://www.recipezaar.com/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Discs can't get scratched, become unreadable. I would keep excel/word files on my computer, back them up on disc, and probably print the majority of it over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    Instead of binders, how about saving everything on disc? I have been thinking about doing this as if for some reason, I can't afford internet, I will have everything on a couple of discs. It saves on paper and binders and taking up so much room. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started a binder a few years back when I was doing flylady. It helps me to see everything right in front of me in big print. I need to get it back out and use it. Don't know why I quit. I keep my holiday meal plan & grocery lists and planning guide in it. I have menu's from 2002...... I have a section for ea. family member, pets, housecleaning routines and tips, addresses,and candlemaking. I could add a birthday list, recipes, and budget section. Especially a price list. Boy! This has really got me going. I am going to start tomorrow by cleaning it out and adding one new section at a time. I use page dividers and clear sheet protectors.Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judy - you have already done so much on this project. When I first started reading these posts, I was going to say that whatever you do, start small.

I prefer things in binders - to me they are more user friendly. I do keep recipes in a computer file -and that works too.

For any system to work for me - I have to use it. Does not good to create and then never use.

Please keep going on your posting - I am learning a lot!! Mahalo!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay,

I need to add a new section, when i get it done. There's a way I've found to sort of almost predict when meats are going to be cheaper, by month anyway. So, I need to factor that into my buying plan. This is different than the seasonal calendar I already have, I think. It could be the source data for that maybe? I got the seasonal calendar I've got by scouring several books and websites for them. Then I compiled them into what seemed reasonable and adjusted it for what I knew was "real" here. I have lived in enough places to know that what's in season in FL is not necessarily in season in NH and it is rather idiotic to think that it might be!

But the new piece of data isn't about being in season, but being cheaper, although that usually happens in season. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this some more!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OK, some of my household binders have reciepts in them, pasted on notebook paper. It makes it easy to see what I've spent in one big picture.

I split the groceries out of this last year because the binders were stuffed and I needed the room. Today I finally created a file and added them up. If I've got all the reciepts in there, we spent $2.000.00 some odd on groceries in 2008, which is not bad at all! I'm under budget, even though I usually thought I'd spent more. If I factor in restaurants, then I know I blew the budget, alas.

Judi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast