Getting ready to start my Household Notebook
    Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Getting ready to start my Household Notebook

We're moving in 2 weeks and I found a good binder today in one of the many boxes of our stuff that I've been going through. The binder already had at least 2" worth of page protectors (probably 200 page protectors!!!) so after I finish patting myself on the back for finding it, I'm going to start turning it into our Household Notebook.

I've never done this before so I'm really excited to do it. I am still thinking about how I want to organize it. Luckily a 3ring binder w/ page protectors means it's super easy to move things around.

I know some people end up with 50 dividers but what do you think are the MOST important things to include for someone just starting out?

So far I'm definitely including our household budget charts. Other must haves??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What do you want the over all function of the book to be?
    Will you be taking it to the store with you?
    Will it hold personal finance information that shouldn't leave your home?

Some keep an inventory of their freezer and pantry stockpile. MrsOcean posted her documents here:

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...ory-sheet.html

I have a separate binder for my coupons, menu plan, and price book. This way if I lose it ... none of my personal information is lost.

We have a separate binder for our budget and sinking funds so I have an easy reference (since I don't get on Greebo's computer). I will be adding a list of the websites and passwords so I have easy access to the accounts online.

What about a goal page? Where do you want to be in one year, five years? Sometimes having a little reminder can help keep us focused.

If you haven't already done it, look through some of the older posts in the household notebook and home manuals forums. There are some wonderful nuggets of information in threads that you wouldn't find because the title reflects the initial poster and the topic/conversations evolve into other ideas. I know its a lot to go through but it might be worth it when you have the time.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Ceashels!

The purpose: so far I have been using a much smaller folder to hold my budget worksheets and my savings fund registers and there are just too many pages now. I want all of that organized so I can easily see how our spending changes week by week. I also want to keep all of our household financial stuff in one place. By the way, our savings fund registers do have goals on them. (Sometimes I think our goals are insanely ambitious, but they're there...)

It's too big to leave the house (unless it were an emergency evac kind of thing) so definitely not going to the store. It will probably have confidential financial info in it.

Things I'm currently thinking of putting in are:

- printouts from my retirement accounts and bank accounts? All this is available on line so I'm not sure if I should.

- list of credit cards with how to cancel them.

- bank information

- list of all of our possessions that we're currently storing in our in laws' basement because of how we are moving around so frequently - not sure if I want to do this specifically or generally. Leaning toward generally as we are talking about an entire large storage room full of stuff and I don't have time to go through it all with a pen and paper.

- phone numbers & addresses

- monthly calendars

- wedding stuff maybe??? we're planning our wedding for next summer, and we have a wedding notebook but it doesn't deal with budget stuff whatsoever. So maybe keep the "ideas" in the wedding notebook and the budget stuff in here.

- shopping lists? (weekly, monthly, annual?)

- recipes?? I can't decide on this one - I think it may be too much for this notebook and better to keep separate.

- meal plans? I do use them, but not sure if they should go in here.

- lists of our stockpile. This is a big one that I want to get started on soon.

- wish list for the stockpile.

- inventory of our medicine stash / first aid kit with expir. dates (it's enormous).

- wish list for care packages for my mom to send us from the USA because we're abroad.

- we have to keep a list of all our receipts for tax purposes in this country, and I have the list in there already.

- ideas for ... gifts, parties, meal plans, home stuff, vacations, etc...

I have another huge folder that I keep all my medical records, paper prescriptions, etc., in.

I have a third folder that I keep all my government bureaucracy stuff in, because I'm a foreigner on a spousal residence permit so I have a fair amount of paperwork for that.

I'm slowly working on a price book for groceries but I think I'll keep that in a little notebook and keep it in my purse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you think it's safe to do so, I would put a copy of your retirement and banking accounts in the folder. If the information is just stored online, you may forget about it.

I'd keep recipes separate, because you may want to use the recipe folder in the kitchen and may accidentally drop a pan of boiling water on it.