Living over seas? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have read about your area, I have a book on Ireland and it covers all area's of the country. I revisited the book after reading your post and looked at the photo's of the area and I have to say there are many pretty counties in Ireland! I was just reading in the magazine "Ireland" I get, about Trinity college and the book of Kells.

I have not seen the commitments, I'll have to see if I can locate it.

The cement was on the outside of the house, I would say about three feet wide? It goes around the whole house in all of the pictures, I thought it might be a way to keep the rain out? Are houses made out of wood anywhere or would there be a rotting issue because of the weather?

There are two Dakota's, one is North Dakota and one is South Dakota (that's their actual names and North is north of South, LOL) Both states are less populated than many states here in the US. South Dakota is where Mt. Rushmore is. I think there is less than 800,000 in the state, t. South Dakota is in the midwest region (north, middle) of the USA and only North Dakota seperates South Dakota from the Canadian border. We have mostly agriculture and livestock for economy. Of course businesses, but as a whole, livestock and grain are mostly what you see, oh and a lot of nothing, LOL.

South Dakota is Width 210 miles (340 km) & Length 380 miles (610 km) I looked on the map sitting beside me, I don't really know that by heart, LOL.

How have the problems in Northern Ireland been over these past few years, I understand there was a peace treaty, but has it been held true? Also, Does both Northern and Republic of Ireland carry the same currency since the euro seemed to cover alot of countries? Do you really have to go through a check point to get into Northern Ireland? Have you gone there?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Concrete is used outside nearly all houses here as the soil would be so wet as to cause dampness in the walls. I have yet to see a wooden house it would not be the norm. Most homes have pvc windows these days as the wooden windows were too hard to maintain.

Dakota sounds amazing, I have just googled and found out about Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills a lot of this was used in the old western movies and sounds familiar.

Northern Ireland what a thorny subject. We refer to it here as "the troubles". President Clinton played a large part in the peace process which to the most part has been kept. One of my earliest memories of Northern Ireland was watching the footage of Bloody Sunday on TV with my mother. Google U2 Bloody Sunday and it will give a taste of that time. In 1972 British Paratroopers opened fire on a peaceful civil rights protest and killed 13 people in Derry. That single act nailed a lot of peoples colours to the mast who previously would not have had strong feelings on the subject. It was a religous fight with Protestants wanting to maintain unity with England and Catholics wanting a united Ireland. The North uses sterling (UK's currency) and we use the euro. I remember working in N. Ireland during the troubles and having to go through checkpoints with soldiers lying in ditches pointing guns at you. Tanks going through the streets and staying in the Europa Hotel in Belfast which had the dubious distinction of being the most bombed hotel in Europe. In Donegal Square in Belfast, Catholics would get their taxis on one side and Protestants on the other. People were killed because of their religion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought that maybe there wouldn't be any houses built from wood in an area where you get so much rain.

I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles within Northern Ireland. I remember seeing alot about it on the news when I was younger. It must have been a scary thing to have to drive through the checkpoints with you being in aim. I remember watching a show once about Bobby Sands, I think that was his name and ther troubles they were having. I would still want to visit when we come on vacation down the road, I remember seeing a lot of paintings on sides of buildings? But I think I'll keep my religious beliefs to myself

Is Gaelic (sp) the native language of Ireland? I have been thinking it was. I had read in a magazine article that they are bringing it back into schools because too many people speak english now and it's becoming a thing of the past, certain area's are even changing all the road signs and taking down the english signs? Have you noticed a change? Do you speak Gaelic?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Irish is the first language of the country and every government document has to be produced in Irish and in English. Students get additional marks for answering the exam questions as gaeilge (irish for irish). We are all taught irish in school, but like any language unless you use it frequently the vocabulary goes. There are areas in Ireland where only irish is spoken they are called the Gaeltacht.

Bobby Sands was a hunger striker who died in Long Kesh (internment camp/prison) in the early 80's. In Belfast there is street art depicting scenes from this time. Belfast these days is a lovely city to visit. There is a train called "The Enterprise" which travels daily from Dublin and takes 2 hours to reach Belfast.

Would you believe it is still raining here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm heading off to bed, lots of yard work today and I'm really feeling my age today But wishing you some sunshine!

What is the time difference from Ireland to the midwest, right now it's about five minutes to midnight, what time is it there right now,

I noticed when a girlfriend went over to italy and spain, all the cars there are very small. I guess they would have to be since the roads are so narrow, are the roads narrow there and do small cars rule the road? What is your current gasoline prices there? Today it was $2.23 a gallon to fill up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today it became offical we have had the most rain in July for fifty years! I am not too sure about the time difference it is 12.30am here now.
    What type of yard work do you do? Do you live on a farm or in a town?
    The cars here now are becoming smaller again due to the recession. Petrol is expensive in comparision to the US. We pay by the litre and it is €1.15per litre and there are 4.4 litres in a gallon so it is €5.05 per gallon at the moment. Some of our roads are very small and were never designed for more than one car or I suppose a horse and cart.
    I tried to upload some photograhs of Tara for you. The picture with the monuments shows on the left a momument written in Irish in rememberance of 500 people who took part in an insurection in 1798 and were killed on the Hill of Tara and the other monument, legend says if you are the true king of Ireland, if you stand on the stone it will roar!
    Night Daisy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awesome picture! Thanks! What if I'm a true Queen of Ireland, LOL.

We live on a farm of about 400 acres, we have cattle and grain crops, this is how my husband grew up, not me, so after his company gave him an option of early retirement at the age of 38 a couple years back (he was with the company 20 years) we settled on land we purchased many, many years ago. My yard work is mostly my flower gardens and my vegetables and mowing around the house and grain bins etc.

You know, I was thinking today about the sizes between the united states and Ireland, now I'm not sure exactly how much the land demension of the two are but I'm pretty sure the states are a tad bit bigger than all of Ireland I wonder how I would deal with the space issue? I mean one of the things we like to do is to travel, mostly by car because you can see the most facinating things on the quietest road. Here you could just drive for weeks at a time and not see the same thing twice, could you do that over there?

Alright, I'll look to see the time difference. It looks like your 6 hours ahead of us (central time our time) because it says right now on the world clock that it's about 4:30am wednesday morning there. Hope your having a good sleep It also stated that your temps are going to be in the upper 60'sF for the highs this week, don't you guys get the hot weather in the summer? Or is this like your year round temps? Or is just because of all the rain?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What I miss most is my family(especially my mom and dad). I am used to live near them and leaving away from them surely make me depress. Also away from close friends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds ideal Daisy, after 400 acres Ireland might be just a tad small for you!! Living on an island does have its disadvantages after a few hours you run out of road. Not to mention when you travel abroad and meet other people from Ireland they will know someone you know, honestly it is like a village. It is only in recent times that the Irish gene pool was diluted

What vegtables do you grow? One of my goals for this year is to grow vegtables, though I think it is too late to plant out now. Do you grow from seed?

We have not had a summer in three years, in June we had some sunshine and since then it has rained nearly every day, including today. At this stage we can wear the same clothes all year round

It is 12 am here so time for bed. Night Daisy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maryannsms, I'm sorry your missing your family and friends. Were are you living right now? What has been the hardest to adjust to? (other than missing your family.)

I grow sweet corn, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, broccoli, green beans and peas. ALso strawberries and blueberries. This years garden is a little smaller than usual because of how busy it was in the spring this year, the sweet corn is just about ready I grow everything from seed, except my tomatoes, for some reasons I always have problems with those when I plant from seed? No clue as to why? I don't know how to "can" yet and plan on that being one of my projects next year, I hope. I also want to grow some nice cutting flowers from seed for the farmers market. Everyone else sells vegetables and it's a very small farmers market so I thought that I would try to sell something different than a vegetable. I have never grown cutting flowers for this purpose and not sure what I should try to plant from seed that would make a good cut flower?

What kind of vegetables will you plant? Will you plant from seed? Do you know how to "can"? Are their farmers markets there?

Off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Growing so many vegtables you must be nearly self sufficent. I have never seen zucchini. Is it difficult to grow and how would you cook/use it? Cut flowers is a fantastic idea and everyone loves fresh flowers.

This morning my son was at his guitar lesson and near by are allotments which I usually wander over to have a look at to pass the hour. These are becoming very popular as people try and become more self sufficent. They have started to sell their surplus vegtables and fruit. I got a savoy cabbage, potatoes and an onion for €4.50 and all were picked this morning. Yes we do have farmers markets but they are usually very expensive in comparison to the supermarkets. The idea of an allotment appeals to me from the community point of view and learning from other gardeners who are more experienced. I have space here at home to grow the vegtables but not the knowledge yet. This autumn I will dig over a few raised beds and next spring will plant a few seeds and then plant them out to see what happens. Potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, lettuce and spring onions would be on my list for next year. Rita

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What do you mean you have never seen a zucchini? Do they not have zucchini there? Would you know them as Courgettes? Are those the same? I think that's what the british term is, or is something like Cougers? It's something like that, LOL. It's a summer squash.

Zucchini is one of the easiest things to grow, would everyone agree for those who grow them? I use the zucchini in my baking more than anything, it makes things very moist, if you thought about planting them I could give you some recipes. I usually shred and then freeze them in 2 cup portions. I wonder if Courgettes are as easy to grow? Does anyone grow Courgettes?

We have just finished freezing up about 65 ears of sweet corn yesterday, we removed the corn from the ears and put them in the deep freeze. My tomatoes are slower this year, I think it's because we have had a very cool July, but August is hotter than heck, about 90F everyday so far so I figure the tomatoes should be done soon. I have been planning blt's for lunch but I have no "T"s just yet and I don't want to go buy any when I see that I will have a whole lot coming in soon.

I have not tried potatoes or onion yet, I just planted some lettuce and carrots the other day for my fall crop, those are pretty easy to grow, for some reason though, I can't grow cabbage, I have tried and tried but I have a large problem with bugs, not on any other plant, just on my cabbage? I try to grow everything with homemade natural bug spray, I don't put any chemicals on the vegetables. You will find that your knowledge comes with trail and error. Are there certain bugs that are a major problem there for gardeners?

Has the rain stayed away? It looks like we have a week of rain coming, or at least chances of storms everyday, more than likely because of the heat. Do you get many thunderstorms there? Does Ireland get tornado's? Hurricanes? Blizzards? For that matter, does any parts of Europe get extreme weather?
    Last edited by englishcottage1; 08-11-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hehe. American living in London here, for a year now with many visits before I moved.

some things just have slightly different names, often francophone:

zucchini = courgettes
    eggplant = aubergine
    arugula = rocket/roquette (hope i'm spelling that ok)

I moved to the UK because my husband is British and one of us needed to move. I would *loathe* to do immigration again. It is expensive and nerve wracking - it was a necessary evil we had to do in order to be together. It really stressed us out and we'll have to pay another huge chunk of money next year just so I can get Indefinite Leave to Remain.
    The taxes are high, but I think of it as just lumping taxes and health insurance into one payment.

Moving me here and what little I did bring, paying for the visa, etc have just about wiped our savings. We have a chunk for emergencies. International shipping can be used to send your items, but is very expensive, it doesn't pay to bring most things.

I miss my friends and family the most. There are some good Mexican places in London (they DO exist and are becoming more popular - but there are also some REALLY BAD Mexican restaurants around). I miss sweet pickle relish (weird, huh), smoked tofu and Sushi. Yeah, there are Japanese restaurants here, but I haven't found one I can afford yet. I love the Turkish and Greek food here.

It doesn't rain nearly as much as I thought it would. In south west England it is mild, cooler in the summers than in the USA and less cold in the winter with very little, if any, snow. There seems to be snow to the north.

I find it much more difficult to make friends in England than in America.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Eve I did not know the comparable names. It must be a difficult choice to leave everything and everyone you are familiar with.

Aubergines are not widely used in cooking here although they are available. Sweet corn is usually bought frozen or in cans and is popular. Potatoes are the staple diet of the Irish and cabbage would be a close second. Slugs because of the wet weather thrive on lettuce and cabbage and would be the main pests. I don't know what the organic gardeners use to keep them away. Tomatoes are usually grown in green houses we don't get the temps for them to ripen outside so you are very lucky to be able to grow such variety.

It is still raining nearly every day and the evenings are starting to get darker and cooler now. Tonight it is 9 degrees and the heat is on. We do not get extremes of weather, tornados, hurricanes and blizzards are only ever seen on the TV. Italy has had earthquakes and has an active volcano. The only problem we ever seem to have is flooding.

I appreciate the offer of the recipes it would be nice to try something new.

Night. Rita

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eve,

Thanks for the info on the vegetables

I'm not sure what you mean by indifinite leave to remain means? Is your husband a british citizen? Could you stay in the UK because your married to him like he could stay in the States because he's married to you? Or is it something totally unrelated?

I'm sorry your missing your family and friends. I think I would miss the relish also, I guess you don't find out what you can't have anymore just because it's not a product over there like it is here. Why don't they have relish? Hmmm. I was in World Market the other day while visiting relatives out of state (just a day trip) and they sell Spotted Dick, I saw it in a magazine and wanted to try to make it, then I saw how many calories it has and decided on something else, lol. Maybe you could try a speciality market? Although it seems funny that relish would be a speciality, LOL.

Rita,
    I imagine that slugs would be a huge problem then on hosta's, on maybe plants and flowers for that matter.

I never knew that Italy had a volcano. You learn something new everyday.

I was always curious if there are a lot of drunk driving laws and arrests, it seems all I ever see is a good old time at pubs? I'm hoping they make some nice mixed drinks because although I may try a pint since I'm there, but I'm not a beer drinker.
    Last edited by englishcottage1; 08-14-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast