Living over seas? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mt. Vesuvius near the town of Naples is quite famous as it caused the destruction of Pompei in 79AD and has erupted again in living memory. Pompei is amazing you can see the daily lives of the people when the volcano erupted and they were taken unaware where they have excavated the site.

Slugs just love hostas and the leafy vegtables like cabbage. What pests do you have to keep control of? Do you have snakes? We have no snakes or any dangerous animals in Ireland. Another advantage of being on an island.

Drinking used to be the national past time here but in recent years people rarely go to the pubs because of the very strict drink driving laws and the smoking ban. They now drink at home and wine has become very popular. What do you like to drink Daisy?

What is relish made of? There is a fast food chain here called Eddie Rockets and I think they may have relish if it is the same thing for hamburgers.

Time for bed. The days are flying by lately. Night Daisy. Rita

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that you mention Pompei, I remember reading about it in school, or somewhere and the lives left behind.

Where we live, we also have some slug problems, they love my hosta's but I have been putting out beer traps for them and they seem to be helping alot. You know, the biggest problem I have had this year has been with Rabbits. We had a lot of them a few years ago and I had to put alot of vegetables into raised beds or there would be nothing come morning. This year they have just eaten a lot of my flowers, gets me a little ticked, spend all that time and effort and money and they eat my flowers. I have been slowly replacing the ones they ate with rabbit resistant ones. A few years ago, it was terribly dry that year and we got hit pretty bad with grasshoppers, they ate everything, your flowers, vegetables and even put holes in your screen on your windows, you couldn't even drive down the road with your windows open because they would just jump into your car and never mind what the dead ones looked like in the grill of your car. But luckily, those type of years are far and few between. We don't have just one kind of bug, I think right now mosquitos (sp?) are a problem because of west nile virus, do you have that problem? but with the vegetables, it's mostly just some squash bugs but that's about it. There are a few bugs you may see here or there, the tomato hornworn, false chinch bugs, sorry, it's getting late and I just can't think of all the garden bugs, LOL. We do have snakes, but the usual garden varity, there are many deadly snakes in the states, more where the warmer weather always is, but we don't have any of those in our area.

I'm not much of a drinker, I do like to have a drink when out with friends, so I may have an ameratto sour, or a cosmopolitan, nothing too strong and I usually will not have more than one. On special occasions, I have as many as three, LOL. I like wine, but it needs to be a white, sweet wine, I don't like red wine, I wish I did because it's better for you, but I just haven't found the right one yet, but I'll keep looking

Relish at least the kind I'm talking about is pretty much made of pickles, some vinegar, some spices and not sure what else is in there, I think the Branston food people in the UK make a sort of relish but it may be a little more chunkier than what is here in the states? Not sure since I never tried theirs. We don't use relish alot, mostly with hot dogs and some people cheeseburgers and brauts, etc. But that's about all I use it for.

I looked up Eddie Rockets, saw they use Bicks Relish on their burgers and then I looked up Bicks, and their relish is red, ours (at least what I buy) is green, there may be some sold in the red color, I just have never bought or seen (although I never looked, I may have to look next time I go shopping) If you go to the bicks website and click on relishes on the right of the picture, the closest to what we eat is under Green Sweet Relish.

I need to go check on freebies, it's suppose to be a stormy weekend so I want to catch up on some inside work. What is Christmas like there? Do people go all out and decorate their homes? Does it ever snow on christmas or at least have snow on the ground at Christmas time? What do you call Santa, Santa Claus or Father Christmas or something else? Do you have Halloween? Or is that just a States thing? Hmm...

Good Night.
    Last edited by englishcottage1; 08-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am back on line again, it is amazing how much you miss the internet!!

You have so many insects, we probably have as many but I cannot name them all.

Green relish is not familiar at all. I must have a look for it in some of the bigger supermarkets but if it is not available in London it is hardly available here.

I remember one Christmas when we had a flurry of snow it did not stick on the ground but it was lovely. It is usually the end of January into February before we get a days snow and yes I mean one days snow. The country then comes to a stand still and everyone goes home early from work (I kid you not). Father Christmas is Santa and we love Christmas, most companies will close on Christmas eve and not reopen until January 2nd. Commercial overkill is the order of the day, well it was until the recession hit.

Time to go. My son is playing rugby with his club this evening, it is the first match of the season and we cannot be late.

Later Daisy.
    Rita

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only have a couple of minutes before I take off myself, the kids are starting school next week and we need to head to school for some things.

Are your schools in session now?

I find that the older I get, I wouldn't mind less snow, less shoveling, as long as I could see some every once in a while

Talk soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never thought of the hard work that could go with snow as we never have it for more than a day and if it freezes after that in colder areas it can last a little longer.

My eldest son lives in Dubai, my daughter has just finished what you would call high school and is going to start college in September and my youngest son is going into 5th class primary on the 31st August(he is 10) do you call it elementary? He has a book rental scheme in his school so it is not necessary to buy books every parent just has to pay €75 and the books are left on his desk covered and ready for him. They only introduced this scheme in the past couple of years, before that every family had to buy the same books and it was such a waste when you did not have any children to pass them on to. Do you have to buy books or can you rent them. What ages are your children and are they all in school?

Today was busy, we went for a long walk up to Tara and met so many people. At this time of the year there are a lot of tours and Luke likes to listen in to what the tour guides are saying. Had lunch in the little restaurant there, picked blackberries for jam. Do you have blackberries? Then home and off to rugby again. Tomorrow more activities guitar, GAA and rugby. What activities do your children do?

I will be going down to the allotments to see what vegtables are on offer this. I was thinking of getting chickens. Do you have any?
    Time for bed now,
    Night Daisy,
    Rita

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry it's been awhile, I get my freebies posted and then it's bed time, ZZZZZ, we have been busy these past few days getting ready for school which started yesterday. I have two in high school and two in Jr. High. I think it may be different in different parts of the country on how school goes with books etc. 5th Grade at our school is middle school. Again it can be called differently in different states. Our school goes k-4 is elementry, 5th and 6th is Middle school, 7th and 8th is Jr. High and then 9th thru 12th is High School.

We never have bought books for school before, we have more of a rental thing, it's included in our registration fee for the year. When we registered the kids this year it was $30 per kid (I know other states are alot more per person) the kids usually don't have to buy books until they get into college, but you can usually resell the books at years end.

The registration fee also includes a student ID for each kid and that lets the kids get into football, basketball, wrestling, all sporting events at school for free. What is GAA? My kids are involved in Drama , Speech compititions, 4H, Tennis, Basketball, track, Band, soccer, all but 4H are school related.

We don't have any chickens. I have debated this for the past two years on whether to get some or not. We have many friends who have free range chickens and we buy some from them and also we usually get plenty of free eggs from them too so it's more of a question of do I want to clean up after chickens when everyone else is doing it and I get the same results, LOL. Do you want the chickens for the eggs, meat or both?

I guess I never thought about preparing for snow/winter because you just do it every year without even thinking about it. I'm sure we prepare more than a lot of people because we are rural. Do you live in town or the outskirts? Just some I can think of off the top of my head. Within the next month we will make sure our logs are ready for the woodstove for the winter, we use that for additional heat when the temps get below zero and the windchills put us at 30 below zero, I also like to use the wood stove in the late fall/early spring when there is a chill in the air but don't need to run the heat all day. In about three weeks I will start to put away all the gardening items and patio and deck furniture and cover a lot of perinnials with burlap to protect them from the cold weather incase for some fluke we don't get much snow for insulation, as well as wrap the shrubs that bend easily when the heavy snow gets on them. I need to drain the water features in the yard and put all that up and away. We'll also check around the windows and doors to see if we have to fix any drafts, which we shouldn't since we have replaced all the windows over the past few years. I also will put more in my food stockpile once it starts getting colder just incase we are snowed in at some time during the winter. Do you get many ice storms?

What is a bacon body, or bacon buddy? When I watched Keeping up Appearances, they keep saying either Bacon body or bacon buddy. I'm assuming it's a sandwhich of some kind? Also what's a curb crawler? That was mentioned also.

It's going to start getting very busy around here. Harvest should be starting in a few weeks. DH will be out doing 14 hour days and we all hope the first snow doesn't happen until the corn is in, you can harvest the corn if it's on the ground, but it is very time consuming and just a big pain. I will have to start making large meals during the day for about 6 almost everyday for two months, sometimes the meals are here and sometimes I bring the crockpot out to the fields, all depends on how cold it is out there, LOL.

Better run,
    Daisy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also meant to ask you what is the crime like in your area?

Where we live, we go to bed with the door unlocked, as well as everyone else also, actually I'm not sure where our keys to the doors are, even when we went off to California we left everything unlocked, although our neighbor did keep an eye out. When we head out, whether it's for twenty mintues or 6 hours we never lock up anything. No body around these parts do. When we go to the stores in town, everyone always leaves their keys in their ignition while they shop or tend to business, the same for when parking your car at your house. Usually the sheriff is usually called for domestic fighting or loud dog barking in town or an occasional speeding or no seatbelt ticket. Now you could not do this in the larger city in our area, but most towns around here are like this. Everyone also watches out for each others kids, the kids might not like it, but we parents do, LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is fantastic your children have so many free activities included in the cost of registration here everything is done mostly outside of school and can be expensive. In particular music and drama. Sports not so much. GAA is gaelic games have a look at gaa.ie (I was not allowed to post the url yet) and it will give you a flavour. It is very important in rural Ireland and nearly every parish has its own club.

Bacon butties are bacon sandwiches (butties is for butter). This is very english and would not be used here so much. A kerb crawler is a person who drives very slowly along the kerb usually looking for a prostitute and the expression would be common to Ireland and England. Very forward of Mrs. Bucket using this terminology!

You have so much work to do before winter, here in our area we have double glazed windows with mains gas, we also have a wood burner and an AGA in our kitchen. We live in a rural area but are only 45 minutes away from the city centre. I would not know how to kill a chicken, I just fancy the idea of free range eggs but you are right it might be easier just to buy them rather than having to clean up after another animal. We have a horse (my daughters) and two dogs already.

I do not lock my doors but that is not to see I shouldn't, there is crime but in my area it is not very prevelent. We do not have a Sheriff but Gardai and they are kept busy nearer the city.

That is a lot of cooking for two months, do you cook in advance and freeze or just as you need to? What type of food do you cook? Stews?

This weekend we are going to a wedding and staying over in the hotel as it will be a late night and nice to have a few drinks. So tomorrow I will have to sort out our finery!!
    Talk soon Daisy,
    Rita

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you had a good time at the wedding!

I'll look into the GAA for that info

So then a Kerb Crawler I guess would be a "John". LOL at Mrs. Bucket terminology.

Oh, I forgot to say that we don't have any blackberries here, perhaps in another part of the state but not in our general area, we do have blueberries and strawberries though, we have a few blueberry bushes ourselves. Strawberries just don't do well for us, but it seems I keep trying every couple of years.

We have some farm cats and a few dogs and I think that's enough. We once had a couple of horses but nobody stayed interested in riding so we gave them away to a family where they ride all the time, it's better for the horses to get to head out on trail rides etc, rather than just roam around a field, although we took good care of them, it wasn't really a life for them either.

What is an AGA? I once saw a show about someone digging up some sod to put into a fireplace? I didn't get to see the whole show but they talked about how it's still a practice in Ireland? Are they just burning grass in their fireplaces or stoves? Isn't it kind of wet to burn?

I try to cook in advance if I can, or rather, if I'm making a lasagna I'll make two at once and freeze one and bake the other. I try to do alot of crockpot recipes if I can? I have two crockpots, 5 and 3 qrt and usually I will have the main meal in the big crockpot and dessert in the 3 qrt, I might have a roast w/veg's in the big one and say like butterscotch apple crisp in the small one. I make a wide range of meals, all depending on what I'm in the mood for making or if I'm busy that day. I make some casseroles, roasts, burgers, etc. I am trying to find more and more crockpot recipes to try. My latest is cube steak with greenbeans in one crockpot, it actually came out pretty good. One good thing about feeding the guys also is that they will eat just about anything and never complain when I try new recipes on them, LOL.

Have you traveled much in other parts of Europe. It's very interesting to me how you can get on a train and be in a different country in a short amount of time, I guess it's just because here, although we are a very large country we can't really get to another country without getting on a plane, other than of course Canada and/or Mexico, but over there you have so many more you can visit, kwim?

It's going to be getting very busy around here within in next couple of weeks, harvest will start for a lot of people, it's been very cool here lately and they are a little worried about crops, tonight we are even getting into the lower 40'sF which is very strange for being the end of august.

Better go get into bed, tomorrow I have more weeding to do, it's been a lot of weeding this summer, but it's because we have had a lot of rain this summer, and my poor garden looks really sad this year. Again, too much rain. You know I got a rain barrel two years ago because we had a very dry summer that summer so I thought I would be all set for the following summer and we have had nothing but wet summers these past two years, maybe if I put away the rain barrel it will stay dry for a bit, LOL.

Talk soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi again

Rita, DH and I plan on a trip to Scotland and I kept looking at Ireland and oohing and ahhing. Someday

Daisy, yes. since DH and I are married, I am eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after we have lived together in the UK for two years. It doesn't make me a citizen, it is just a more permanent visa than the one that I currently have (which is valid for just two years).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would also like to visit Scotland! Do you have relatives there or just going for a vacation? How far is it from where you are?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Daisy

I don't know any of my relatives in Scotland - they are distant relatives. My grandfather was the first person in his family to be born in the states. I'm not positive how long it would take us to get to Scotland, but where we were planning is about 8 hours of driving.

We might not go now!!! I'm sad, but we might have the opportunity to visit my relatives in America in December... that might not leave room for any kind of visit to Scotland.

Do you have any plans to visit the UK and see how you like it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh and I have plans to visit the UK but not until the kids are grown. We plan on taking a trip to the UK and of course visit all the "tourist" spots but I would also love to visit some "English Gardens" or are they just gardens over there, lol. When I go to places I also like to go to off the beaten path type of places, also. I have talked with many people who have visited the UK and they all have good things to say about their visit so I am looking forward to one day getting across the pond.

What part of the USA would you be visiting? I know you would be disappointed not being able to go to Scotland, but I guess it would depend on how many chances do you get to go to America?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Daisy

I would be going to Florida and possibly Pennsylvania. I was lucky enough to get back to America once this year. I'm only a LITTLE disappointed that I don't get to go to Scotland because I am missing my family!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you know what parts of the state yet? I lived in Florida for awhile, outside of Tampa and we have visited PA often, I love PA. I love the Lancaster area and visiting with the Amish in their stores etc. Florida is a nice place, but I'm not a person who takes to heat well, except when I'm laying on a beach or by the pool

I'm sorry you wont get to meet up with your relatives in Scotland, are you visiting relatives in the States?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast