Living over seas? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To be quite honest I don't really know all that much about religion in Holland. I can tell you a little but maybe one of the other Dutch ladies could help more.
    There are of course Catholic and various forms of (reformed)protestant churches/relgions. I know that there is also a demonination of the Mormon church in Rotterdam. We also have mosques all over the country. In fact I believe that every religion is represented here in one way or another.
    Just as Holland is a cultural melting pot, it is also a religious melting pot.

I was brought up in the protestant Free Church of Scotland. Why it is called free, I have no idea. My parents didn't go to chuch but did send me to Sunday school each week till I rebelled and said that I wasn't going.
    When dh and I got married in Scotland, we had to get permission from the bishop of Rotterdam because dh is Catholic as is his entire family. This has never been a problem.

I know that there is also (in my eyes) a quite extreme movement within the protestant church here. I used to live for a short time very nearby one of these families.
    They have no TV, the girls are not allowed to wear jeans or any 'men's wear', they don't use a car on Sunday, the women/girls do not use make-up and they do not use birth control. Possibly there are more things.
    This family near me had 12 children in a small 4 bedroom house.

If you are interested, the following link will tell you a LOT but the most relevant part for Holland today is at the bottom of the page.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_religion_in_the_Netherlands"]History of religion in the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free [email protected]@[email protected]@/wiki/File:Okerk1.jpg" class="image">

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link! I was just curious about religion in different parts of the world, it can cause so many issues with peoples life, good and not so good. I am ever thankful concerning the freedom of religion, I would not like someone telling me how I should pray to "Bob", kwim? But again, if you know no difference..........

I have to say some of the pictures I have seen in books, on the travel channel, etc of churchs in other parts of the world, are really amazing and so big! I mean we have some nice, large churches in the larger cities, but some pictures, well, they are so old and authentic, kwim?

This may seem like a stupid question, and I'm sure not the last stupid question I have, LOL, but do you have public libraries, and are they well used by people?
    What about driving, what age do most kids get to drive?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by englishcottage1 View Post
    This may seem like a stupid question, and I'm sure not the last stupid question I have, LOL, but do you have public libraries, and are they well used by people?
    What about driving, what age do most kids get to drive?
    You can ask as many questions as you like and they are certainly not stupid. If I can answer the questions I will and if I can't then I'll look it up for you. So, not a problem.

Public libraries are abundant here and very busy. Each small town also has it's own library.

In Rotterdam we have many libraries. Each part of the city has it's own but is part of the large central library in the city center which makes it easier to borrow any book (if you want to borrow a book that your 'local' library doesn't have, then it is located for you and sent to your local one - free of charge).

Libraries are not free to adults. The cost is about $45 per year. For kids till 18 it is free. We also have books in various languages in each library even our local one. I read mostly English and I have a HUGE choice.

Driving is totally different to the US.
    First you are not allowed to drive at all without a qualified instructor (expensive) and you have to be 18 to even start with the first lesson.
    You learn to drive here with a stick shift car.
    After a while you are told (after normally between 15 and 20/30 lessons) that you can apply for the theory exam (around $50) and sit it. This is a multiple choice exam with 65 questions with only so many seconds to get a question correct and then go onto the next one. You cannot go back and change your answer. If you pass this exam, then you can apply for your 'real' driving test. Very expensive - around $ 275. Usually takes around 4/6 weeks to get a place also it is quite unusual if you pass first time.

The certificate for the theory exam is only valid for 1 year and then, if you haven't passed the actual driving test by then, then you have to do the theory all over again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456