Wanting to move to the UK or Ireland...HELP!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wanting to move to the UK or Ireland...HELP!

Hello All,

I read the pp that englishcottage1 wrote, and that many of you answered. While I have lived in Scotland before for school, I want to return now on my own (ie: no schooling, marriage, etc). Does anyone have tips for going about this? I've been looking into becoming a long term resident, but it seems that immigration rules are quite strict (not surprising). I don't quite meet the criteria that is needed through the points based system of getting a work permit. I've even tried applying for positions over there, but they all want to know if I am qualified to work in the UK (ie they won't provide a work permit for me). So frustrating! Can anyone offer suggestions?

Cheers,
    Stephanie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

pretty much, unless you are a medical doctor, nurse, or engineer, there is no way you can move to the UK.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

try going to www.direct.gov it's the goverenment website, Im sure you can move here but you would have to go thru the imagration process like everyone else does, Im sure spending years in Scotland for school should help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would you consider doing more schooling/training in the USA in order to qualify for whatever is currently needed in the UK? ( I am sure the job's that are open to immigrants change from time to time like anything else)

Have you considered the Isle of Man? they are geographically part of the Uk but have their OWN government and immigration rules and thus THEIR job requirements might be different.

the IOM is like the UK was 40 years ago I like it but you would have to be prepared to live with all the pro's and cons of life on an island.
    I looked into moving there myself about 25 years ago as a nurse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it any easier to apply for polish citizenship? as millions of them are over here, they legally dont need to go through the usual immigration channels to live and work here. I haven't the slightest clue if it would be possible but you could maybe try to get polish citizenship then just travel to britain and live and work as a pole.
    I just seen your in FL, I'll swap my citizenship with you ;-)
    Hope you like lots of cold grey rain and punitive taxes...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could apply for a job with AAFES (Army, Air Force Exchange Services). There are several locations on American bases in England. You'll just have to pay for your way there but once your there, AAFES will sponsor you- so you can legally live in the country and they pay your portion to the NHS. And you'll get base privelages so you can shop at the base exchange and commissary for American products as well as paying for gas at a tax free rate.

Then once you're in the country, you can keep your eyes open for other opportunities.

ETA: forgot about the website to AAFES employment! http://odin.aafes.com/employment/default.asp

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you all for your suggestions! I have, after much thought, decided to apply for school at University College London next year. I am currently a master's of museum studies student through Johns Hopkins University, and want to go into archaeological objects conservation after my two years in this program are complete. Conservation programs in the US are few and far between, but more plentiful in the UK. If I am accepted, this program is three years long (with multiple Postgraduate degrees and a year's work internship), and through an UK initiative, I can apply to stay in the country an additional year. (see below). This was not in place when I was a student in the UK 6 years ago.

"Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) for those who have obtained a UK degree, a Postgraduate Certificate in Education or a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (or an HND from a Scottish institution). This replaced the International Graduates Scheme (IGS) and the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme from 30 June 2008. If you have immigration permission under the IGS now, you can apply for an extra year under Tier 1 (Post-Study Work), and it does not matter what type of qualification you have)."

Hopefully in the 4 years I am there, I can find a job that will allow me to stay permenantly. *crosses fingers*

Thanks again for all of your insights!

Petrolhead, even though I was born, raised, and currently live in Florida, I don't like the weather. I really prefer overcast, drizzly, and cooler conditions, so I'd be happy to switch!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about the UK requirements, but I just moved to Denmark this past spring and the immigration process was not easy, even with my employer sponsoring my work permit.

I know that's not really helpful info, but I wanted to wish you luck.