Pressure Cooker

Thread: Pressure Cooker

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pressure Cooker

Pressure Cooker
    http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?OWLRF 10 November 2008 Pressure Cooker

The old Presto Pressure Cooker was replaced. The new one is 8 quarts and the old one still functioning after 30 years was 5 quart. The construction is basically the same, but the new one is polished aluminum, which won't leach aluminum as much as the older type material.

A large percentage of my cooking is done with the pressure cooker. With a bit of practice cooking is quick and food retains more nutrients.

For an insert a colander is utilized with the handles knocked off. All pressure cookers should have an insert to prevent water from touching the material being cooked, and to prevent material from bubbling and clogging the pressure ports.

There are several Pressure Cookers on the market, but with ridiculously complicated locking mechanisms, and peculiar ports. Caveat emptor!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pressure Cooker Inserts

I have several inserts, but see no reason why the fold up type would not work.
    Here is what I use. http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?FMXRO
    The screen type is ideal for grains, and the larger is my first effort, which is probably better for solid food and beans. It is also easier to clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi there! Is there a thread somewhere on the great thrifty uses for pressure cookers? I've noticed that a lot of people seem to get great use out of theirs, but I barely know how to use mine. ( I posted this question at the tag end of another thread, but guess it was too close to the end 'cuz there were no responses..... )

I've been quite the lurker but am trying to get the gumption up to be more of a participant here. Everyone just seems so wise and to have such great recall! I sit down and can't think of a thing to say, even tho' I do my best to be frugal.....

Thanks for any advice!

Mary

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Minner77 View Post
    Hi there! Is there a thread somewhere on the great thrifty uses for pressure cookers? I've noticed that a lot of people seem to get great use out of theirs, but I barely know how to use mine. ( I posted this question at the tag end of another thread, but guess it was too close to the end 'cuz there were no responses..... )

I've been quite the lurker but am trying to get the gumption up to be more of a participant here. Everyone just seems so wise and to have such great recall! I sit down and can't think of a thing to say, even tho' I do my best to be frugal.....

Thanks for any advice!

Mary
    Once you learn to use your pressure cooker you will use it more often. Meals cook very quickly. You can brown pork chops and then throw in sliced potatoes. Put water in and when the pressure rises (by the thing that sits on the top; sorry I don't know what it is called) Cook for 12 minutes and cool quickly under faucet. Remove the top and they are ready to eat and very tender.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minner77 View Post

Thanks for any advice!

Mary
    Omg Mary,
    We use ours alot. Not as much as the cp but it is the next best thing for sure and for certain.

We live in high altitude so you can imagine that beans (dried) of any kind take a long time. NOT in the pressure cooker. 30-35 minutes voila! Roast potatoes and carrots around 45 minutes. All of my times are approx for me. Once you start using it for anything other than canning, you will wonder how you lived without it.

If I had to do without a microwave or a pressure cooker. I would definately go with out the microwave.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug