'brand spanking new tips'...
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 'brand spanking new tips'...

hey gang...i know we have 'tons' of tip threads but how about starting a thread with 'new' tips...ones that you have just learned, that aren't always 'obvious' (no turning off the lights or shortening your shower times) that haven't been beaten-to-death here in the archives....i heard this one yesterday....

when you have an expensive perfume that you would like to make last longer...take an unscented body lotion in your palm, spray a few drops of the perfume/cologne into the lotion...mix it up and then rub it on your body...the tipster claims the scent lasts longer on your skin than just spritzing here and there......and also stretches the perfume coz she uses less......

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just used this old tip yesterday. I've known about it for years.

Take a cotton ball soaked with rubbing alcohol and wipe you candles down with it. It cleans them right up when they're dusty or sooty. works like a charm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Best way to give yourself an all-over, layered hair cut.

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, grab the hair at the back (the longest hair) and choose the length you want to cut it to.

Holding the hair at that point with one hand, pull the hair straight up so that you can see the end you will cut in the mirror.

Use lipstick to mark a straight line across the mirror at that height.
    NOTE: Don't move closer or farther away from the mirror from this point.

Now, pulling each section of hair straight up cut it off where the line shows to cut it!

After you've gotten all the pieces cut, use a comb to bring all the sections, one at a time, up to check and make sure you didn't miss any strands. (Getting a friend to check for obvious stragglers is a good idea too.) Use the scissors to do any detail work to the front that you want to (shorter, longer, fringed out, or angled).

Generally, you'll have a nice layered look because the hair higher on the head will be shorter where it meets the line than the hair further down.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thevail View Post
    Best way to give yourself an all-over, layered hair cut.

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, grab the hair at the back (the longest hair) and choose the length you want to cut it to.

Holding the hair at that point with one hand, pull the hair straight up so that you can see the end you will cut in the mirror.

Use lipstick to mark a straight line across the mirror at that height.
    NOTE: Don't move closer or farther away from the mirror from this point.

Now, pulling each section of hair straight up cut it off where the line shows to cut it!

After you've gotten all the pieces cut, use a comb to bring all the sections, one at a time, up to check and make sure you didn't miss any strands. (Getting a friend to check for obvious stragglers is a good idea too.) Use the scissors to do any detail work to the front that you want to (shorter, longer, fringed out, or angled).

Generally, you'll have a nice layered look because the hair higher on the head will be shorter where it meets the line than the hair further down.
    WOW! You are really, really brave!

way to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not really a new idea, but one that's not discussed much:

use solar heat grabbers to save on energy bills in the winter

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's one I use a lot: If your public library has a 'suggest a purchase' option, go ahead and suggest books you'd like to read. If they decide it's of value to the community, there's a good chance they'll order them. And you'll be first on the 'hold' list after it's processed.

That's how I get to see Dr Who right away when the new season comes out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sabrelvssammy's idea of the perfume and body lotion...this is an old one...where ever you want to put the perfume rub in a little bit of vaseline on that area then dab/touch/spray the perfume. The oil base will hold it longer as it won't evaporate.

Also have posted previous about digging back out the toaster/convection oven. Timed it and it takes about 1/3 the cook time of the oven as it dosen't have to preheat a large area and then heat a whole oven area to boot. Also does not heat up the house with the air conditioner kicking on several times. ( we're in Florida and it is still in the 90's ). The toaster oven will hold a 6 cupcake/muffin pan and does fine with less electric.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you'd like to see a particular movie see if its available from the library or free online. We watched the movie, The Notebook online last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have "frugal" thoroughly mastered, get free credit cards that offer you things for using them. I got 50,000 frequent flyer miles from Amex this spring, I am currently getting 30,000 frequent flyer miles on an American Airlines card, and I got $50 from a new Discover card in the past year. Meanwhile, my main credit card gives me plain old cash back. We usually get about $50-100/year from that one. No fees or interest. We charge everything possible including our home, rental, and auto insurance, and cell phone bill, etc. and pay the bill in full each month. Really works out well for us. Of course you have to be a person without a shopping or credit card problem, some people go berserk with them, but we are naturally frugal so it pays off big time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Perhaps sometime RVE, I'll be able to use your very creative tip - love the idea of getting things sfor free and being in control!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use milk jugs, bleach bottler, etc. Sprayed them black put 1 tsp of bleach in each and fill 3/4 full of water..i set these under my plants in the sun room...they hold heat all night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My coffee can has a lip around the edge. I dump it out into the new one when it's empty but there's always a little bit left in there. To get out that last little bit, I put the lid on and flip it over and then take the can opener to the bottom. You don't need to open the whole thing, maybe an inch or two. Once you get a little section open, you can stick your hand down into the can and push out where you opened it so that the rest of the coffee will come right out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to keep leftovers in the frig all on the same shelf/shelves. That way, it catches my attention when I open the door. I try to use all leftovers up within a day or two. I don't like moving stuff to the freezer because then it gets moved around and sometimes forgotten about. I am cooking less now, especially things like pasta. I only cook half the box. That way less leftovers to worry about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i gotta say...i would not cut my own hair!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This might be an original tip (then again it might just be common sense) but my mom would always remind me to just put a little toothpaste on the toothbrush and tell me that I didnt have to stripe on a huge ribbon like they do on commercials to effectively clean my teeth!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast