Thrifty Showers: use every drop of water
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Thrifty Showers: use every drop of water

The next time you’re waiting for your shower to warm up, watch how much water goes down the drain. You’re paying for the water, so why waste it? Cut water bills by making full use of this would-be wasted water. Keep a large bucket in your bathroom so that each time you turn on the water, and are waiting for the water to warm up, you can use the bucket to collect the water and prevent it from going down the drain. You can then use this water in countless ways around the house: water your plants, wash your dishes, wash your floor, flush your toilet...

Thrifty people save hundreds of dollars a year! Start by cutting water bills and see for yourself...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like it. Good idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

before I had to buy a new washing machine, I was able to re-use the bath water & warm up shower water in the washer.

the new washer won't let me

but as soon as I have my garden in, the vegis will be happy to have a little grey water

love this tip! TY for sharing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tip. Not a bad idea to keep a bucket in the bathroom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post
    before I had to buy a new washing machine, I was able to re-use the bath water & warm up shower water in the washer.

the new washer won't let me

but as soon as I have my garden in, the vegis will be happy to have a little grey water

love this tip! TY for sharing!
    Why would it be grey water if it is the water from before you step into the shower?

My mom does this and uses it for her plants around the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Sister View Post
    The next time you’re waiting for your shower to warm up, watch how much water goes down the drain. You’re paying for the water, so why waste it? Cut water bills by making full use of this would-be wasted water. Keep a large bucket in your bathroom so that each time you turn on the water, and are waiting for the water to warm up, you can use the bucket to collect the water and prevent it from going down the drain. You can then use this water in countless ways around the house: water your plants, wash your dishes, wash your floor, flush your toilet...

Thrifty people save hundreds of dollars a year! Start by cutting water bills and see for yourself...
    Oh, gosh, I do the same thing and I think this forum is the only place I could admit it! I use the water for plants, for washing floors, etc. WHen I have a second bucket that fills up with grey water during my shower (don't always have a second one handy), I use that to pour down the toilet bowl prior to cleaning it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This week I was just thinking how nice it would be if all of the washing machine and shower water could go into a tank or cistern to be used for the toilets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Save water, shower together.

I will start using the bucket today!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in a crowded house so I can only imagine how much water we waste... I am going to make changes in the house today starting with my husband, kids and I.

No one else will play along!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love this tip. I will start doing this, now if only I can convince my husband to do it too. He lets lots of water run before he steps in, and then he spends about 15 minutes in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been doing this for years. I'm also a big believer in "Navy Showers"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is what I like to call my "splurge"! I LOVE my HOT showers and love to sit down and meditate, pray, think and soak in the hot water. I think a jacuzzi might be cheaper in the long run for me

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We filled our emergency water (ten 5-gallon jugs and eight 3-gallon jugs) with "saved" water and use it for doing dishes so it gets rotated on a regular basis.

While doing dishes by hand can use as much as 5-7 gallons if you fill two sinks with water, and a dishwasher uses 6-15 gallons (depending on cycle used and age of the machine), our method uses one gallon and the water (5-cups) is heated in an electric kettle and we do dishes in a small plastic tub that sits in the sink.

In the summer we often use a 5-gallon, solar-heated, Camp Shower filled with "saved" water and heat the water in the sun - Walmart.com: Coleman 5-Gallon Shower Camp: Camping. Hubby installed a special hook to hold the Camp Shower in our shower stall.

The ultimate "saved" water is the free water we get in our rain barrels (1,000-gallon capacity).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've thought about doing this. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

but...but....do I have to give up my baths? They save my sanity. I do showers through the week but on the weekends or on a particularly stressful night I take a bath. I'm assuming that water can't be saved as it has soap in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast