Stop Using the Top of your Fridge as Storage Space
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Stop Using the Top of your Fridge as Storage Space

People are always tempted to store things on top of their refrigerators. When storage space is limited (I know mine is), anything and everything ends up there; cereal boxes, extra bowls, appliances...The problem with this is that your fridge works much harder to keep things cool and, therefore, uses a lot more energy.
    So, find a new place for all of that stuff and start to lower your hydro bills! Every little bit helps.

Thrifty Sister

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Who knew?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Sister View Post
    People are always tempted to store things on top of their refrigerators. When storage space is limited (I know mine is), anything and everything ends up there; cereal boxes, extra bowls, appliances...The problem with this is that your fridge works much harder to keep things cool and, therefore, uses a lot more energy.
    So, find a new place for all of that stuff and start to lower your hydro bills! Every little bit helps.

Thrifty Sister
    Why and how doesn't it work harder because it has things on top of it? I don't understand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Why and how doesn't it work harder because it has things on top of it? I don't understand.
    Ditto. Can you site your source please?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was wondering the same thing. I know you are supposed to vacuum the vent (pet hairs) and clean that drip tray (DH job) But I always have my large stock pots on top on my fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I suspect it has something to do with blocking the top which lets the heat escape from either the back or the top? (especially if you have your fridge under a cupboard etc) Heat rises and if its blocked it stays with the unit and makes it run less efficiently?

I was just guessing - I'd like to see the source and explanation as to why as well though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My refrigerator has a cabinet over the back half half of it (with clearance space between them) and the refrigerator only uses 7-cents worth of energy per day when I tested it for 507 hours with a Kill-A-Watt Meter - which is very low energy use for a refrigerator. There is plenty of air circulation from the back to the wall, as was suggested in the installation instructions. Nothing was mentioned in the user's manual about not putting "stuff" or a cabinet overhead.

We have a side-by-side, no water or ice dispenser, which use more energy. We are also careful how much we open the doors, which is another plus for keeping the energy use down. I also have thermometers in the freezer and the refrigerator so I maintain food safe temperatures.

We also removed the incandescent bulbs and replaced them with LED lights (Sam's Club). Those incandescent bulbs do little more than heat the inside of the refrigerator.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grainlady, thank you for the tip on changing the light bulb to LED.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG, I thought you were in my house and saw the mess on top of my fridge! Thanks for the reminder!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found this article online which does mention not using the the top of the fridge as a shelf b/c it blocks the airflow - see point #8 (but #7 is in addition to what I was thinking of earlier)

8 Tips for Saving Energy on Your Refrigerator

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks GL for the lightbulb tip..........I need to do that.

Thanks Libby for posting the article......some good tips mentioned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Fridge Tip Continued...

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I just came back online now so I wasn't able to explain why it is that stuff piled on top of your fridge makes the fridge run less efficiently.
    Thanks Libby, for posting that helpful link! Essentially, all of the 'stuff' blocks proper air flow, making the fridge work harder.

I actually have a bunch of books that include ways to reduce your energy consumption, and they mention this tip.

Another good tip, with regards to your refrigerator, is to make sure that it is NOT positioned next to anything that gives off heat (i.e. your oven, dishwasher, etc.) because it will take more energy to cool the contents in your fridge.
    Fridges are one of the biggest energy consumers in your home. Why not save energy and money, any way that you can?

Thrifty Sister

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh. I dislike this. My apartment kitchen is SO SMALL that I really HAVE to store stuff on top of the fridge Either their, or on the floor! Oh man!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It isn't the stacking of stuff that's the problem - it's the blocking of airflow. As long as you don't block off the airflow to the back of the fridge, leave enough space behind it and along the sides, it won't be a problem.

If your fridge is enclosed with minimal airflow already then yes, blocking up the top if it's the only place air can move is bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Who has room on top of their fridge?? I never have....my fridge now is counter depth and there is only about 4" between the top and the cabinet over it. And...I'm short, so no use trying to stuff things up there. I've just never had available space above a fridge anywhere I've lived.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast