The most ignored food budget stretcher. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    you may not eat tonight then, beans take hours to cook, once soaked. next time use the crockpot!
    Well, at least I have lunch for the rest of the week. Let the cube wars begin. hehe

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

http://www.beanbible.com/index.php site is pretty cool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    you may not eat tonight then, beans take hours to cook, once soaked. next time use the crockpot!
    Gotta love the crockpot...the frugal gal/guy's best friend!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My kids are pretty good about eating beans...it's Dave who will rarely eat them.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had beans and rice (first time in a few years that I've done this meal) earlier this week and DH LOVED it! He grew up on that and I don't think reverting to this meal once in awhile would hurt either one of us, DS, or our family budget! In fact, one of my goals for June is to have us eat one meatless meal per week! I'm sure beans and rice will be that meal at least twice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by baxjul View Post
    I need to do this. I have 3 huge bags of white beans in the cupboard, just sitting there, waiting. I need some recipes (no measurements, just throw in "these things" type of ideas).
    Check out the Central Bean Company - Home Page for Central Bean Company for general bean information and their recipes - Recipe List from Central Bean

If you cook your beans, then drain very well and quick-freeze them on a cookie sheet, they are easier to portion into bags/containers and use from the freezer.

I mill beans into bean flour, which makes them easy to add to baked goods to increase the protein level. When adding bean flour to baked goods, use small white beans because they have the least amount of flavor. I mill pinto beans and black beans and use them to make "instant" refried beans as well as in instant soup mixtures.

I'd also suggest the book, Country Beans by Rita Bingham. Country Beans Cookbook by Rita Bingham Check your local library for a copy.

I "stretch" the protein portion of a meal by using a 1/2 serving of meat and add beans to the recipe. If I make a dinner salad, I'll use a small amount of meat (the more expensive protein) and some beans (the inexpensive protein) to equal a serving of protein. When making Mexican recipes, you can make the meat mixture using less ground meat and adding a portion of beans to the mixture.

Here's a good example of a recipe where I skimp on the meat and the added beans compensate for the smaller meat portion. I never use as much chicken per serving in this recipe as is calls for.

Tuscan Rosemary Chicken and White Beans
    1/3 c. purchased Italian dressing
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 c. sliced carrots
    1 c. sliced celery
    1/4 c. coarsely chopped marinated sun-dried tomatoes (I omit these)
    1 t. dried rosemary leaves, crushed (I use a couple small sprigs of fresh rosemary)
    1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans - drained, rinsed (I use cooked white, pinto, or black beans just as well)

Heat salad dressing in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes and rosemary. Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear. Stir in beans. Cook until beans are thoroughly heated. 4 servings. (Grainlady note: I also add sliced zucchini or yellow squash, as well as frozen green beans to the veggie mixture - whatever I happen to have in the refrigerator/freezer. You can easily get a full serving of mixed veggies by adding them.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have made "refried" beans using light red kidney beans or pinto beans. I cook them down until they are really thick & use the hand mixer on low to mash them up. I then add onion powder, gardlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper, some oil and grated cheese (your choice of flavor) and mix again. Really good.

I get a lot of compliments on my red beans & sausage or great northerns & sausage. I think the key is I cook them until I get a medium "gravy". I do not care for soupy, water beans. YUK. If I use the crockpot, I have to then cook them on the stove for a while, mashing a few of the beans, to achieve the thickness. Crockpots won't thicken them like I like them.

Grainlady - weigh in here on your thoughts on the thickening using a crockpot. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

beans are delicious! whenever I need a CHEAP take-with for a picky crowd on a budget for a get together I make a sweet white bean dip, I just blend in the food processor and sweeten with organic honey *orange blossom if I have it* a pinch of salt maybe a bit of orange juice and zest if I have it
    and serve with homemade sweet potato chips fresh from the oven with a TEENSY bit of fresh grated nutmeg over the top!
    it makes a pretty spread and couldn't be cheaper/ more nutritious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lady V, I would you post some of your bean recipes, especially the one for the lentil patties.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shp1055 View Post
    Crockpots won't thicken them like I like them.

Grainlady - weigh in here on your thoughts on the thickening using a crockpot. Thanks.
    You may want to transfer your crockpot-cooked beans to a pan and thicken them on top the stove to finish them to the thickness you like (another 30-45-minutes?). This will remove more of the moisture and break-down more of the available starches in the beans for thickening.

I'm not much of a crockpot user, even though I've owned several different brands and sizes of them over 30+ years, so perhaps more experienced crockpot users will add their hints/tips.

I "cook" small amounts of beans (equal to a can of beans) in a Thermos (saving a considerable amount of energy), or a large amount in my Tiger Magic Thermal Cooker, once again, not using a lot of energy. I'll also cook beans in a quart canning jar (painted black on the outside) in my Solar Cooker.

For refried beans, I use bean flour. Based on the water to bean flour ratio, that will determine how thick the refried beans are.

Stiff Refried Beans
    (Works as a substitute for canned refried beans.)
    Boil 2 cups water.
    Whisk in 1 cup bean flour.

Cook and stir for one minute until mixture thickens.
    Reduce the heat to medium/low, cover the pan and cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Fluffy Refried Beans
    Boil 2-1/2 c. water.
    Whisk in dry ingredients:
    3/4 c. pinto or black bean flour
    pinch of garlic powder (optional)
    1/2 - 3/4 t. salt
    1/4 t. cumin
    1/2 t. chili powder
    (I also like to use a Fiesta brand blend called Pinto Bean Seasoning.)

Cook and stir for one minute until mixture thickens. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium/low and cook 6 minutes (stirring occasionally). You can also add salsa or picante sauce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

love beans and rice...my husband is half puerto rican and loves arroz con gandules (sp??)...I make fiesta beans and rice-canned diced tomatoes, black beans rice with ginger cumin and coriander yummy!!!I do garbanzos with red and green peppers and a touch of chili,sauteed.also a cold garbanzo dish with peppers cucs and onions balsamic vinegar and olive oil....love my beans!!!!

patty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i love beans any kind of beans -with meat or not with lots of onions and garlic powder-i have at least a 100 pounds stockpiled

Registered User Mrs. Piggy Bank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How exactly do you saute the beans in these dishes? I've never done it and it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by lisaflex View Post
    we eat black beans w/ sauteed red onion, garlic and frsh lime juice as a side dish once or twice a week.

we also eat white beans w/ sauteed red onion, garlic, spinach and frsh lemon juice as a side also. yum and cheap and good for ya!

i like pinto beans simmered w/ onion and garlic then mashed up w/ a bit of feta cheese on it. dh wont touch it! i eat it for lunch a few times a week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Although my mother only purchased and fixed kidney and pinto beans. I do not care for either of them. I have found that I love black beans and lentils. I even prefer lentils in tacos versus meat.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bean counters here love the bean budget stretcher.
    ~Russ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast