Frugal Home Decorating Tips
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Frugal Home Decorating Tips

Here are a few decorating tips that I picked up. They can be modified to suite the style of your home (whether it be modern, contemporary, traditional or minimalist). If you have any to add, please feel free! Also include the cost (if possible) for making your tip a reality.

1) Make sure that you utilize as much space as possible to make your lifestyle the way that you intend it to be, not what someone else thinks it should be. For example, if you have a large family and are in need of more seating in your kitchen, add in some bench seating that also doubles as storage for linens.

2) Use colorful wallpaper inside of sleek picture frames to help fill the walls of your space. It's pretty economical and is cheaper than purchasing large pieces of art that may or may not go with your intended style.

3) Purchase slip covers for your furniture and make sure that they're durable. You'll want to wash them at least monthly (more if you have pets and kids). Go with a neutral color and add in decorative throw pillows (these can be found pretty cheap either at Wal-Mart, Home Outfitters, Pier 1 Imports or any other type of home decorating store).

4) When storing items that are of various sizes and/or shapes, wicker baskets are ideal! Some people prefer the neutral tones with the white cloth insides, which can be found at basically any home decorating store.

5) Purchase your items on clearance and/or when they're marked down considerably. Take into consideration the quality of the item before purchase. Look for small imperfections that may or may not make the space feel less luxurious.

6) Don't be afraid to take some advice from the home decorating shows that you may see on channels like HGTV. If you don't have HGTV, you can find these same tips online at HGTV.com or DIYNetwork.com. Use the ones that you feel complements your space and makes it inviting and comfortable.

7) Don't go overboard! Add in just enough elements, but don't overdo it. Chances are that you may regret adding in that extra buffet or buying that large dining room table for a room that it can't fit in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for some solidly good ideas!!

For me the most frugal decorating tip is decluttering and keep on decluttering - makes any and everyroom peaceful!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

paint and spray paint are your friend.

flea market and side of the road furniture finds with good lines can be painted brown, white, or black quickly.

you never know what you will find at thrift stores and second hand shops. i picked up an eldred wheeler tiger maple chest of drawers for $200 at salvation army. i picked up a stiffel brass lamp at goodwill last week for $6.

every room needs a focal point.

every room needs a bit of bright red, hot pink, cheery yellow, or black.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Something to add to item 5:

If you have a spot that you need to fill, have measurements with you. This is especially handy for things hung on walls or furniture. I know when I wait to buy something on clearance it's never there when I go back.

So, my answer is half rough estimate of the space that needs to be filled.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Reevaluating what you already own can save you tons of money, while giving a fresh new look to a space. Perhaps the pictures in your dining room would look great in your bedroom, Maybe those tea towels would look great thrown over your kitchen curtain rods, Those old vintage hankies that have been taking up space in your drawer might make a lovely wall grouping hung in frames on your bedroom wall, your old beat up colander just might look great spray painted copper and having a potted plant in it, or maybe that chest of drawers in your bedroom would be the perfect solution to put in your dining room to store tablecloths and extra things, like the gravy boat you only pull out twice a year.

Sometimes we just need a change, and the budget just will not allow it. Thinking about what you already own and how to use it differently is not only frugal, but can really change your homes look. I once read a book about home decorating where the author took down all her pictures and decorative items and put them in one room. She then went through them and changed each room's decor. She said the bare slate approach helped her to visualize each room in a different way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep if you don't like it just paint it! Paints a friend for life. I don't know how many item's i have bought at the end of garage sales for dirt cheap, because no one bought it.I'm sure it was the color.I'm into the primitive decor so chippy paint and worn items are never to much of a problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Am having a great time rearranging things in our home to use what I have - it really works!! Now I just want to find a slipcover for our red couch - which I love but need to tone it down for the summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post

For me the most frugal decorating tip is decluttering and keep on decluttering - makes any and everyroom peaceful!!
    I agree with you on this one, it is truly amazing how much of a difference it makes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love all the tips everyone has given. The best frugal decorating tip I always use is to think before I purchase anything. There are a lot of questions I ask myself and things to consider. I want to make a wise choice and get the most for my money.

Trying to keep my house tidy and as organized as I can is a great way to keep my house looking good. I have had people tell me they enjoy coming to my home because it feels homey and comfortable. I love what I have and enjoy my home so I think that message is conveyed to other people.