Tips for storing food so it lasts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Tips for storing food so it lasts

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks!! They are some good tips there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you, found a couple new things to try.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

THANKS jd.

It is always nice to find some good NEW tips.........and be reminded of the ones that I have forgotten to do........(IE: like the cottage cheese upside down thing).......had read that before too.

I use an apple in my brown sugar....(have even used a large piece of the peel)..........and it has worked every time.

GREAT IDEAS................

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of my fav's & I've mentioned it before is wrapping your naked celery completely in foil as soon as you get it home from the store. Lasts a long time that way. Wish I started doing that years ago instead of just recently.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Line the bottom of your refrigerator’s crisper drawer with paper towels. I do this, Mama taught me.

2. To keep herbs tasting fresh for up to a month, store whole bunches, washed and sealed in plastic bags, in the freezer. I will do this more often.

3. A bay leaf slipped into a container of flour, pasta, or rice will help repel bugs. I have always done this, Mama's tip again. Right now I have a vintage Ball jar with glass lid filled with tiny pasta shells with a bay leaf tucked inside, sitting as decoration in my kitchen.

4. Stop cheese from drying out by spreading butter or margarine on the cut sides to seal in moisture Here's a better tip from my Grandmother, wrap your hard cheese in a cloth saturated with vinegar. Tuck it in a plastic bag and place in your refrigerator.

5. When radishes, celery, or carrots have lost their crunch, simply pop them in a bowl of iced water along with a slice of raw potato and watch the limp vegetables freshen up right before your eyes.
    I do this but without the potato.

6. Avoid separating bananas until you plan to eat them – they spoil less quickly in a bunch. News to me!

7. Put rice in your saltshaker to stop the salt from hardening. The rice absorbs condensation that can cause clumps. I've always done this.

8. Stock up on butter when it’s on sale – you can store it in the freezer for up to six months. Pack the butter in an airtight container, so it doesn’t take on the flavor of whatever else you’re freezing. Just started doing this with butter I got on sale.

9. In order to make cottage cheese or sour cream last longer, place the container upside down in the fridge. Inverting the tub creates a vacuum that inhibits the growth of bacteria that causes food to spoil. I will do this.

10. Believe it or not, honey is the only nonperishable food substance, so don’t get rid of the stuff if it crystallizes or becomes cloudy. Microwave on medium heat, in 30-second increments, to make honey clear again. We don't use honey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    One of my fav's & I've mentioned it before is wrapping your naked celery completely in foil as soon as you get it home from the store. Lasts a long time that way. Wish I started doing that years ago instead of just recently.
    Hmm, I will do this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've read the exact opposite about bananas, due to the ethylene gas they offput. The ethylene increases ripening, separating the bananas slows down the effect.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. I've used paper towels and not used paper towels in the crisper drawer and haven't seen any difference, therefore I concluded it was a waste of paper towels.

2. I will try the herb thing if my Aerogarden herb garden ever starts growing. I've also read herbs can be stored by chopping them, then freezing with water in ice cube trays. Pop out a cube and add it to soups or other dishes to use. I haven't done that either but plan to try it.

3. I've never used bay leaves to keep away bugs. I haven't had bugs in pasta, rice, or flour in at least thirty years.

4. I just slap a piece of plastic wrap over the cut portion of the cheese.

5. Don't see any need for a potato, just the water works great.

6. My bananas hang on their hanger in a bunch and do just fine.

7. I've tried the rice in the salt shaker trick and ended up having to clean the salt out with a fork. Now I use those little dehydration packs that come in bottles of OTC medications. \

8. I just stick the butter in the freezer as is. No problems so far.

9. Seems like the tubs are not tight enough not to leak, but I could be wrong. I've done this with salsa and it does seem to make it last longer, but that could have been my imagination. Obviously, there is still air in the jar even if it's inverted.

10. Honey in a plastic jar should never be microwaved. Let it stand in hot water instead. Or use it in something that it won't matter if it's crystallized. I usually put it in bread because when it's mixed in the warm water with the yeast, it melts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Dial View Post
    If I went grocery shopping on 'shine...no telling what I'd buy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another thing, this time about the honey. If you have a plastic bottle, it's better to warm up the honey in hot water. Microwaving plastic is no good.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good tips - I especially like the bay leaf tip, I didn't know that and I store lots of dry goods.

Something I've found that works: buy small heads of garlic, rather than large ones - they have the same amount of flavor, just less water, and the lower water content means they stay fresh longer. I buy garlic in braids of 24 or so, and they last me about 2 months. If I find a good price, I buy several braids at a time and hang them. By getting the small heads, they will last considerably longer.

I always freeze nuts (walnuts, pine nuts, etc) and refrigerate raisins and other dried fruits. I've had lots of problems with spoilage with both of those in the past.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another tip for ice cream. If you put your tub of ice cream upside down in the freezer you will not have the ice build up when you open it.....if your ice cream lasts long enough to get the build up of ice!

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Along the same lines - those of you who eat Greek yogurt (I admit I eat at least 1 per DAY!) if you like it really thick, store it in the fridge on it's SIDE. It continues to strain in the container and when you open it, just pour off the water. I usually end up pouring off about 2 tbsp of water. I don't know if this makes it keep longer or not, but the storing dairy products upside down made me think of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast