Just a heads up for the latest on cars.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Just a heads up for the latest on cars.

I know most people on here buy used cars..........but just in case
    someone was thinking about a new one.............

This left me shaking my head!!!

About the time I start thinking that NOTHING would surprise me......welllllllllll.............sure enough it happens!!

Here is a "blurb" from the article:

It's fun oohing and aahing over all the new cars manufacturers are showing off at auto shows around the country. But pop the trunk and chances are, you won't find a spare tire, or a jack, or even a lug wrench. They've gone the way of the Model T.

That’s because some vehicle manufacturers are omitting heavy spare tires in order to meet new government fuel efficiency standards, explains the auto club. Instead of a spare, auto makers, from Acura to Volvo, are equipping new vehicles with an emergency sealant and inflator kit or tires that if damaged can run reasonable distances without air. The vanishing spare tire has car buyers buzzing.

And here is the full article is you want to read it.....

Spare Tires Face Extinction in New Cars

My question/comment:

please define "reasonable" for a distance to run without air????!!!!! What happens if I have a BLOWOUT???
    You don't always "just pick up a nail" when you have a flat!!!!

And............even for those that buy used cars..........you will be getting these AT SOME POINT!!!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If I have a flat tire I call CAA. I wouldn't care if there was no spare on ours, it's attached under the car and so poorly designed that we could never get it off if we needed it anyway. They may as well have left it out, it's just dead weight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When was the last time you put air in your spare?

Most people never think about it, making it less useful than a can of sealant. I only fill mine up about once a year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post

I don't do too bad on that.........had it checked before I left for some out of town business a month or so ago......along with all tires on the car.

Will usually check it, for sure, if going out of town.

Don't think my spare is even the same size as the other tires...........and the way they CINCH on the lug nuts I could never
    change it anyway, wouldn't have the strength to get it off..............just don't want to mess with the sealant.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Don't think my spare is even the same size as the other tires...........and the way they CINCH on the lug nuts I could never
    change it anyway, wouldn't have the strength to get it off..............just don't want to mess with the sealant.
    That's another thing, I wonder how many people aren't even able to change their tire. Personally, I think people ought to have both in their car, but the sealant (which also typically airs up the tire, too) would be enough for most issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most people never think about it, making it less useful than a can of sealant. I only fill mine up about once a year.
    I get mine rotated with my tires, they fill them then right?.. I thought everyone did that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put air in DH's spare weekly. Same goes for tires. Gotta love aluminum rims!

I would feel better with a spare on my car however I agree about the dealerships putting them on TOO tight that there's no way one can use the tire iron to loosen the bolts. Having said that, DH tried to do that with my car to put on the winter tires and well...tire irons are now made to be 'looked at' as the ones that came with our vehicle are very flimsy. *thumbs down*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm one of the ones who would call CAA if I had a flat. Our spare, too, is under the vehicle, and there is no way I'd be doing it!

Funny story about having the lug nuts too tight. DH was in Afghanistan, and I was in the city (2 hours away) visiting my family. My one tire kept losing air, so I took it to Wal-mart to get the tire fixed. It was a Sunday, so that was the only place that could get it done, so I could go home that night. As my sister & I were wandering the store, the service desk paged me. The guy said they couldn't get the tire off, because they couldn't get the nuts undone. He asked who had done it, and I told him that my DH had put those tires on, and tightened them by hand! I ended up having to pull the whole 'my husband is in Afghanistan, and I need my vehicle now' card (which works really well, by the way!), and suddenly they were able to get the tire off! I'm sure the guys that worked there thought I must be married to Superman!
    ~Tracy~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by joyousjasmin View Post
    I get mine rotated with my tires, they fill them then right?.. I thought everyone did that?
    The spare, too? That's unlikely. Especially if you have a donut, instead of a full spare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The spare, too? That's unlikely. Especially if you have a donut, instead of a full spare.
    I have a full sized spare and I make them rotate the spare. Its under my suv not in the trunk. I get them done free at costco. I bought all five there so maybe that's why they do it I guess?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bad thing about the seal in a can is that in cold weather it won't work..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My tires don't have "regular" air. They have the new stuff. I was coming home from walmart when my phone rang and it was my dh telling me on star had called him and told him my tires were low and to bring it up to the dealership(where he works) to get them filled. I just drove into the service bay and they came and got me when it was done.

So my point is I can't fill my tires even if I wanted to. I have the "other" stuff.

Also, it seems that my car is a tattletale and calls my dh to report on me........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=Cricketlegs;4111504590

So my point is I can't fill my tires even if I wanted to. I have the "other" stuff.

Also, it seems that my car is a tattletale and calls my dh to report on me........[/QUOTE]

Oh this is tooooo funny CL...........nice that your car lets you know.
    Wish mine would, have to watch that in the winter (as I seldom go far out of town!)

But............what is this "other" stuff? Please explain, you lost me!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Buttons are gone, so thanks mndtrp..........was just reading about some of this............INTERESTING.

But if it was true, and would increase my gas mileage.......hmmmm.

The Straight Dope: Is it better to fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast