29 Ways You Waste Cash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 29 Ways You Waste Cash

29 Ways You Waste Cash | Money Talks News

Bunch of good advice here.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like we're good. I only saw one or two we spend money on, and we're not giving up satellite TV.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some good advice, and even if you know some of them never hurts to have a reminder.........

I, too, do a couple of them that probably won't change much. I think the key is that I KNOW they are money wasters, but it is my choice to do them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do a couple of them also but thoroughly enjoy them so to me it isn't $ wasted. I especially enjoy a meal out i don't cook
    Last edited by nodmicks; 10-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Always good to go over how you can save money. Think the only time I really waste money is when I make a withdrawl at the ATM at the thriftstore. Always scold myself about the extra 2 dollars being taken out but I do not do it but am very aware it is happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I checked my savings account and saw that they dinged me an "excessive withdrawal fee". Huh? For the life of me, I can't figure out how they can charge me to withdraw my money. You guessed it ... soon I'll be withdrawing ALL my money and taking it to another bank.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't consider sat TV service a waste, at least for us. I don't think we can get fast enough phone service to stream movies on Netflix, we can't get cable, and since we live in the boonies we're not close enough to anywhere get a TV signal over the airwaves. Sat service provides us a lot of entertainment (yes, I know sometimes it's questionable entertainment and I do use the term loosely) but still, it keeps us from doing more expensive things. And we do enjoy shows that are educational, like stuff on the Travel channel and History channel and sometimes even pure guilty pleasures like Ice Road Truckers. Plus we get local news, sports, and weather we couldn't get conveniently any other way. So even at $100+ per month, we think it's cheaper than a lot of other pastimes. However, if we found ourselves in dire straits, it would be among the first luxuries to go, of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CookieLee View Post
    I checked my savings account and saw that they dinged me an "excessive withdrawal fee". Huh? For the life of me, I can't figure out how they can charge me to withdraw my money. You guessed it ... soon I'll be withdrawing ALL my money and taking it to another bank.
    Federal regulations allow no more than six withdrawals from a savings account per month. You can probably call the bank and get them to reverse this charge, I did when it happened to me. If the bank charges for having fewer than six withdrawals that is per their own policy and not federal regulation, in which case you should look for a bank that allows up to the federally regulated maximum without penalty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm doing fairly well here. The price they list for cable is what i pay for cable, internet, and home phone with unlimited long distance. I don't consider it a waste: I watch a lot of TV, use the internet a lot, and all my family is out of state. Additionally, my cell doesn't get reception in 1/2 my house. The price is worth it to me, or I wouldn't pay it.

Last night DD and I went out to eat. It was worth every penny! Our favorite restaurant, and we only go about every 3 months. We had leftovers for 2 more meals afterward. We eat out maybe once or twice a month.

I do, however, have a sweet tooth, and tend to impulse buy candy. I could do better there.

I also do pay full e-book price for books occasionally, if I cannot find someone to "lend" it to me. So I'm guilty there.

The rest of the list really does not apply to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Doing as well as I expected before reading through the list. I did buy a used book this week. My library system had 3 copies of it but they were all checked out with a waiting list for borrowing. Unfortunately I needed the book ASAP for my class so I Amazoned it. At least it was free with my Swagbucks gift cards. I do heavily use the library system for books I want to read though. I only buy a few non-homeschooling books per year and they are things not available at the library.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I check half.com first when I need books. If it's something like cookbooks though, I try to get them from the library first to see if they're worth buying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like I'm clear! There's a $400/year "media license" here that rubs me the very wrong way, but there's nothing to do about it. If you have an internet connection, you pay the tax

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't do a single one of those things, so I guess I'm good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can have satellite here without paying a fortune - I just wanted local channels plus a few basics (we cut out watching TV at our house except for maybe an hour or two a week TOTAL) - got rid of the DVR (although I loved it) so our TV bill is...dun dun dun _ $16 a month! lol I wanted to keep something to be able to watch local news...although I don't as often as I might like. We are trying to get our kids off watching TV for many reasons so we don't watch it either when they are up! (They are allowed a movie on weekend nights) I was really tickled at getting it down that low - but I had to call and ASK - and pester...it's an unadvertised package

I don't do anything else except we do eat out when we end up out and about at mealtime. Sometimes we have activities after work and it would cost more time and fuel to go home to fix something rather than grab a bite out! And sometimes its a social thing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great article for DH. We got dinged on 7 but not too badly on most.
    I like to buy a bottled water occasionally.. We have too many cable boxes and HD,I want some things brand name,I like to eat out occasionally but our trouble areas are those CC interests. So I got a signature loan from the CU to cut the interests in 1/2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast