Time Saving Tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Time Saving Tips

As time is money, and we all love saving money, I thought I would start a thread about time saving tips. Here is one to start us off:

When stacking the dishwasher place all the cutlery in their own compartment in the basket, so when you are unstacking the dishwasher you won't have to sort them when putting them away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will take a bulk package of ground beef and brown it all up, then package it into meal-size portions to stick in the freezer. You can get a meal on the table pretty quickly this way.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My best time saving tip is to get off the internet and go do something productive.

I'm a big fan of labels. We have a lot of stuff boxed up and I hate having to open box after box looking for stuff. I label leftovers too. Some of my boxes of craft items have a typed inventory taped to the lid.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    My best time saving tip is to get off the internet and go do something productive.

I'm a big fan of labels. We have a lot of stuff boxed up and I hate having to open box after box looking for stuff. I label leftovers too. Some of my boxes of craft items have a typed inventory taped to the lid.
    Do you have suggestions on how best to label products for the freezer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I take clothes down from the washing line I fold them before I put them in the basket. I also take them down in order of which cupboard they will go in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I make my own bread..so I made up several ziploc bags that have the flour,sugar,salt,powdered milk so all I have to do is add the water,yeast & butter one of the already made package and start the bread machine!Love it! Such a time saver!

Buy hamburger in bulk and make freezer meals..meatballs,meatloaf,taco meat,fried and foodsaver 1-pound bags.

I also make my own seasonings..like taco season mix,italain seasoning mix,onion soup mix...instead of making it when I need it I quadruple the recipe and put into pint jars and vacuum seal it.

When I make fruit breads like banana bread,strawberry bread,zuchhini bread I double the recipe..( I plan to do the same with bread dough,pizza dough & cookie dough)use one for eating now and freeze the other..after frozen I foodsaver and put back in the freezer.

Make 5- gallons of my homemade laundry soap..

Buy bulk 25-lb bags of sugar,bread & all purpose flour then I repackage into 1-gallon bags that I reuse..

I make bulk scratch pancake mix.

I buy loose sausage roll that I fry up then make sausage gravy..I freeze it in containers for our breakfast when I dont feel like cooking.

When I am down to 1 or 2 items of any kind of food or whatever it might be I immediatley go write it down on my shopping list..that way I never run out of anything as to where I would have to run to the store and pay higher prices and waste gas.

When I know Im going to do a canning session the next day I prep the jars..set up the canner,set up the burner, have the water in my canner with the gallon of vinegar..

When hanging my dh's work shirts on the clothesline..I put a hanger in each shirt..so all I have to do when the shirts are dry is to take off the clothes pins and hang in the closet..I use to do this with my work uniforms also..with the uniform pants I use to put clothes pins over the top of the hanger to hold the pants..when dry I just put them in the closet with the clothes pins still attached..

Since my dh is limited on shorts for work ( they seem to be sold out in his size every time I check the stores) every night he came I would wash his shorts by hand and line dry them since there wasn't enough to wash a full load.

I prep dinner in the morning..so everything is ready for when its time to cook in the evening.

I have the coffee pot ready with a cup and a spoon for my dh every morning..it saves him time and no spending money at the convenience store!

I always fold my clothes as I take them off the line...who doesnt?
    Last edited by brenda67; 08-24-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I make my own bread..so I made up several ziploc bags that have the flour,sugar,salt,powdered milk so all I have to do is add the water,yeast & butter one of the already made package and start the bread machine!Love it! Such a time saver!

LOVE this idea! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I always fold my clothes as I take them off the line...who doesnt?
    I know someone who has a couch in a spare room and just chucks all her clothes from the line onto the couch. No folding or even putting away! The family is constantly searching for their wrinkled clothes through this pile on the couch.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brilly69 View Post
    If it is something I put into a plastic container I use plain ol' cheap masking tape and a Sharpie permanent marker. If it is in a zip freezer bag or plastic wrapped I just write on it with the permanent Sharpie. For OAMC stuff I even write the instructions on the bag.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When dh grills chicken, he also grills a few burgers for another meal. Saves cooking time and gets double duty out of the charcoal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Brilly69 View Post
    Painter's tape. No sticky residue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I unload the shopping cart of groceries in the order I want to bag them and I try to bag my own. It takes a few extra mins at the store but I can put a tote on the stairs to go up, one to go to the basement, one to go to the fridge and one for the freezer.

When cleaning, I usually use one tool at a time and complete the task (ex: dust all ceiling fans and top door trims with the same reacher, then move onto windows/mirrors, then furniture dust/polish, etc.) it keeps me focused on completing the task and not getting sidetracked by shiny things I've stumbled onto when cleaning. By the time I'm ready to do the floors then the dust has settled down for the vacuum to get it. I also spray the shower with the Dawn Cleaning Recipe before doing anything so it can sit and make magic happen while I clean other things.

I dice onion, carrots and celery and store them in the fridge for the week when I know I'll be doing more cooking (cooler weather months).

I also cook double for freezer meals if it is for things we like. (Also a cooler weather month task).

I inventory my freezers every 3 months (as it seems impossible to keep my sheet updated when I add things). This way I might not know exactly what I have but I've got a really close idea. It also helps me meal plan. I try to coincide this when I defrost our freezer chest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get up at 3:45 a.m. for work (40 min drive). The nite b4 I lay out my clothes, towel/face cloth on vanity for shower. Put the coffeepot on timer with cup nearby. I lay out my plate, knife & a glass for bagel and juice. I have all the pets clean dishes laid out on the counter so I can just feed everyone quickly, and they don't wake DH & DS. At the beginning of the week I have weeks supply of plastic ware, napkin in my lunchbag along with a fiber bar for snack. In the a.m. b4 I leave I throw 2 water bottles and a yogurt in my lunchbag. I also leave a pedometer on the counter and clip it on my pants as I head out the door - I started doing the 10,000 steps a day.
    I keep a pad of paper/pen on the counter so everyone can add items they've used up to the grocery/errand list. This way nothing is forgotten and I will only go to the grocery 1x week unless we have a party to throw or attend then I'll make an extra trip closer to party.
    I keep a pen/paper on my car console in case I think of anything else I need to do. If I'm at work and think of something needed I'll send myself an email at my home email.
    When I get home from work DH has lined all clean pet dishes on the counter so we can feed them quickly & then begin dinner.
    When grocery shopping I try to group items on the conveyor belt so they're bagged together.
    I also put all of the same cutlery grouped in the dishwasher so quicker unloading.
    I group DS's clothes together when putting them away so it's easier for DS to get ready for school in the a.m. as I've already been at work a couple of hours.
    If snow is predicted I get boots, etc. assembled the nite before so I can get out earlier in the a.m.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I worked ( i got up at 4:50am)I had my uniform,socks all laid out on the dresser the night before...plus I put my makeup and my washcloth on the sink the night before..ALWAYS..I also always had my lunch ready the night before.,my keys & pocketbook on the stand next to the door..

Now that Im not working I now do all this for my dh..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    This wise tip made me immediately get up and go make my bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast