Need Tips for Saving on Diapers
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need Tips for Saving on Diapers

I need tips for saving on diapers. Are cloth diapers really difficult to use? Any tips would be great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talk to Nuisance on these boards. She used cloth diapers and made quite a few, too. She would no doubt have some tips on making them for next to nothing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you I will do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cloth diapers are awesome. Very easy to use. There are a bunch of options for cloth diapers. They are very different from the prefolds, pins and plastic pants from years ago. I use all in one style diapers, which is exactly as it sounds. It's very much like disposable diapers are. And they do save money. I have 4 kids, 3 of them I have used cloth on. I coupon pretty heavily and have gotten free diapers before, but truly, I couldn't save as much on sposies as I did using cloth. I have spent about $400, all together, on cloth diapers for all three of the kids I had in cloth. On average I spend at least 15c per diaper, usually more. At an average of 6 diapers per day (more in newborn stages, less in toddler stages) it did take over a year to save at least that much, but considering that we have been using cloth for almost 4 years now, they have more than paid for themselves.

Having said that, it's VERY easy to overspend on cloth diapers and end up not saving any money. In addition, there's additional costs to cloth in the utilities used in the washing of cloth. My water bill DID go up. It was barely noticable, only a couple of dollars a month, but depending on your water rates, it could be more. Also, something I have found is that having a minimal amount of cloth diapers is not necessarily beneficial. I have enough diapers to get my son through about 2 days. But, this means washing them every day or every other day, depending on how fast he goes through them, and that is REALLY hard on the diapers, especially if you run them through the dryer each time. I hang them, which takes forever to dry sometimes, especially with the all in one style. So, if you do decide to do cloth, I highly recommend getting several days worth in the beginning, which allows you to wash them less often and saves wear and tear on them.

Check out Cloth Universe, the ladies there are happy to help and answer any questions. THere's a LOT of information online about cloth diapers and sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This might sound odd, but when the Houseapes were in diapers, I started to make my own from tshirts that I found at garage sales....or free if they were given to me. I liked them better than the store bought cloth diapers, b/c I could bleach them & they wouldn't fall apart. I had to use quilter's pins instead of the regular diaper pins (never stuck a baby with them)b/c the regular diaper pins wouldn't go through the tshirt fabric. A tshirt diaper is easy to make - lay the shirt on a flat surface & cut straight across from underarm to underarm. Fold the raw edges in a little & zig-zag stitch all around the diaper edges. All you need to do now is fold the diaper to fit your baby. I also prolonged the life of plastic(rubber pants). I hated it when they would sometimes split up the sides, so I took duct tape & put a piece over the tear(inside & outside of the pants). The tape actually held up through several washings & bought me some time before I had to go buy new ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing to consider is some daycare providers will not do cloth diapers. I used cloth when I was at home but bought disposables for daycare.