Alternative bulk shopping
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Alternative bulk shopping

The less expensive, the better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was wondering what you think of the quality of some of the items. They have many brands I am not familiar with.

I do not blindly believe that you get what you pay for. Some low or moderately priced brands are good quality. But the quality of some items makes me willing to spend more to get something better. I grew up in the 1970's where I was subjected to some truly horrible generic food. Does anyone else remember the horrible stuff that came in the black and white boxes with no pictures? On the other hand, I feel like the "Safeway Select" line is pretty good as is the Giant store brand "Naturals."

I suppose I am kind of moderate frugalist. I sometimes have an odd mix of being really cheap - I mean responsibly frugal - on some things and splurging a bit on others. Sometimes there is not much rational to what I splurge on and what I do not splurge on. But the goal for me is to be frugal without feeling like I am making a sacrifice or hurting my quality of life. For example not just to eat cheaply, but to eat good in addition to eating cheaply.

My situation is a bit different than most people here, I think. I make above the national average and my husband makes more than me. But I live in a high cost of living area. So I still need to be somewhat frugal. Well currently my husband and I are living below our means. So I don't technically *have* to be as frugal as we are. But are staying under our means to we can take an early-ish retirement (around age 60). We plan to move to a less expensive place after retirement - fortunately that leaves us most of the country to choose from.

I seem to be responding to a lot of your posts PoBoy. I hope you don't think I am picking on you. I am just browsing through the new posts and active topics. Sometimes I get a strange obsession to write a lot. It comes in spurts.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a lot of generic products in the black and white pkgs. Some was better than others but all of it was worth a try. But don't go by me, since I always loved commodity cheese, too!

These days we buy a lot of house brands. We're generally impressed with Aldi, too. Some of WM's Great Value brand is good, too.

We don't buy much in bulk since it's only the 2 of us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

safeway select is not their low end stuff more the fancy store brand stuff. I prefer to buy brand names on sale for less or same then the reg stuff. somethings are not great generic like kraft dinner. western family can be hit or miss mostly great but found some things were not good like the baked beans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is just two in my household as well. We are empty nesters. We do not buy a lot of stuff in bulk, but we do buy a few things. We also live in a condo so we do not have as much storage as some people. Although we did remodel our kitchen to give us more counter space and more storage space.

I do not stockpile, but I like having a little extra food on hand. Maybe enough to get us through two or three weeks if we were not picky about what we eat.

We buy some food on Amazon. That tends to come in bulk. If the item is on prime - most are but not all - we are not paying extra for shipping. If it is a place where you pay for shipping that needs to be figured in to whether it is a good buy or not. Although some stores to offer free shipping over a certain amount. But for the ones that do not, you often do not know what the shipping is till you are in the checkout stage.

There have been on line stores where I go to check out and see that I am paying $15 shipping for a $20 purchase. I have sometimes abandon my shopping card halfway through checkout. I find the deal is not longer a deal.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    It is just two in my household as well. We are empty nesters. We do not buy a lot of stuff in bulk, but we do buy a few things. We also live in a condo so we do not have as much storage as some people. Although we did remodel our kitchen to give us more counter space and more storage space. I do not stockpile, but I like having a little extra food on hand. Maybe enough to get us through two or three weeks if we were not picky about what we eat. We buy some food on Amazon. That tends to come in bulk. If the item is on prime - most are but not all - we are not paying extra for shipping. If it is a place where you pay for shipping that needs to be figured in to whether it is a good buy or not. Although some stores to offer free shipping over a certain amount. But for the ones that do not, you often do not know what the shipping is till you are in the checkout stage. There have been on line stores where I go to check out and see that I am paying $15 shipping for a $20 purchase. I have sometimes abandon my shopping card halfway through checkout. I find the deal is not longer a deal.
    Yep, gotta watch out for the shipping costs!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Generally, the generic stuff is as good as the name brand counterparts, but you do have to be careful on a few items. Generic tomato soup and mushroom soup, for examples, just don 't taste as good as the name brand soups, and they are generally thinner, too. Generic cereal is ok, though, as is coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We bought a lot of generic products in the black and white pkgs. Some was better than others but all of it was worth a try. But don't go by me, since I always loved commodity cheese, too!

These days we buy a lot of house brands. We're generally impressed with Aldi, too. Some of WM's Great Value brand is good, too.

We don't buy much in bulk since it's only the 2 of us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't buy canned soups anymore for health reasons, and try to avoid processed foods in general, though we've been somewhat lax lately.

I've made my own mixes for lots of things over the years, but have stepped that up lately for health, to save money, to be more self-sufficient, to turn over our food inventory faster so it's fresher, and to save space. I could not believe the empty space in the pantry when I got rid of boxed mixes and started making more things from scratch! And of course the quality of well made homemade food is so much better than store bought, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, I also make a lot of veggie soups out of the garden, and chowders (love corn chowder!). I still buy some canned soups, though...tomato and mushroom mostly.

We don't buy canned soups anymore for health reasons, and try to avoid processed foods in general, though we've been somewhat lax lately.

I've made my own mixes for lots of things over the years, but have stepped that up lately for health, to save money, to be more self-sufficient, to turn over our food inventory faster so it's fresher, and to save space. I could not believe the empty space in the pantry when I got rid of boxed mixes and started making more things from scratch! And of course the quality of well made homemade food is so much better than store bought, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been obsessed recently with making seasoning mixes. I like food with lots of flavor, but store mixes all have way too much salt. I've found some good HM subs for lots of things now, including HM seasoning for ramen. I've missed ramen a lot, so that one is huge for me. I also found good recipes for Italian dressing mix, which we like for marinade, and ranch dressing mix for dip and dressing. Store dressings have way too much salt, too. Now I don't have bottles of dressing taking up space in the pantry, and little containers of the mixes won't take much space in the camper. I can mix up small batches as we need them and not have a bunch of open bottles in the tiny camper fridge.

It always makes my day to find good recipes that allow me to add to my "do not buy" list.

I buy my seasonings at a fleet supply store. It's a weird source but they have good sized bottles for $1 each.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thankis..you're right, takes up a lot less space!!

I've been obsessed recently with making seasoning mixes. I like food with lots of flavor, but store mixes all have way too much salt. I've found some good HM subs for lots of things now, including HM seasoning for ramen. I've missed ramen a lot, so that one is huge for me. I also found good recipes for Italian dressing mix, which we like for marinade, and ranch dressing mix for dip and dressing. Store dressings have way too much salt, too. Now I don't have bottles of dressing taking up space in the pantry, and little containers of the mixes won't take much space in the camper. I can mix up small batches as we need them and not have a bunch of open bottles in the tiny camper fridge.

It always makes my day to find good recipes that allow me to add to my "do not buy" list.

I buy my seasonings at a fleet supply store. It's a weird source but they have good sized bottles for $1 each.