I tried a simple trick to save $10 every time I grocery shop—and it worked
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I tried a simple trick to save $10 every time I grocery shop—and it worked

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/17/easy...ery-store.html

"And although only saving $5 to $10 at a time might not seem like much, slashing your grocery bill can add up significantly. After all, if you’re like most Americans, a substantial amount of your money goes toward three big-ticket items: housing, food and transportation."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure it's a savings if you will need something next week that's on sale this week but won't be next week. I agree if what gets put back is junk food like chocolate, unless you buy something else that'snot nutritious instead. I also don't think it's automatically a savings to not buy something because it's not on the list. If something looks good and it's not on the list but replaces another meal, then it's not a savings not to buy it because you are going to eat a meal regardless. You pay for a meal of some kind so subbing one for another still costs.

We've found unexpected sales to be one of our best ways to save, and lists be damned. 🙂

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree that stocking up on sale items is a great way to save in the long run. I got the impression that this writer was living a little more paycheck-to-paycheck than you and I are. Thus she was stressing the 'if you don't need it right now' approach. If the item is not on sale and $5 is the difference between making rent this month or putting gas in the car this week, then holding off and buying it with next week's paycheck is the better option. I feel she's addressing a younger audience that hasn't learned much self control with their money.

IMO, I think a lot of us buy stuff we don't "need", on sale or not. We have pantries, freezers, and closets full of stuff we haven't needed in weeks or years. It's time and money tied up in objects that cramp our space and make us stressed. Not buying 1 $5 object at checkout? Simple solution to overconsumption.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown