4 foes of frugality - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some types of furniture are more DIY friendly than others. Simple benches, shelves like the ones I built under my craft table, many storage shelves, the wooden chairs we built for the dock, headboards, bunkbed frames, pot racks, storage racks in the sewing room, custom stereo cabinet, cat trees, etc, etc, are a few of the things I've built. None of it is fine furniture, but it's sturdy, practical, and inexpensive. Often I custom build something that has to fit a particular purpose and/or space, so if I didn't build it, we would have to spend a lot to get a custom item. I think lots of people build simple types of furniture. Heirloom quality furniture would be less common, due to the training and skill required, cost of specialty tools, cost and challenges of working with hardwoods, and other factors. But lots of people have small shops in their garages like I do. Carpentry is a hugely popular hobby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have lived my whole adult life in apartments and a condo. I think carpentry might be a little noisy for my neighbors. I think the materials take up a fair amount of space as well.

I am reminded of a humorous (fiction) story I read. A lady moved into an apartment only to be tormented by her noisy neighbors. One neighbor was into woodworking, one was in a death metal band and the other one....like to cook. Part of the humor was that the lady who like to cook was just as loud as the other two. This was never fully explained.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just saying building furniture is not unusual, although it may be in your particular situation.

Construction can be noisy, but I wouldn't put a lot of credence in a fictional account of noisy neighbors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've known people who live in apartments who have wood shops in their garages. I don't know what percentage of urban people own some amount of woodworking tools vs rural people, but I would guess it's fairly high all over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123