4 foes of frugality - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some types of furniture are more DIY friendly than others. Simple benches, shelves like the ones I built under my craft table, many storage shelves, the wooden chairs we built for the dock, headboards, bunkbed frames, pot racks, storage racks in the sewing room, custom stereo cabinet, cat trees, etc, etc, are a few of the things I've built. None of it is fine furniture, but it's sturdy, practical, and inexpensive. Often I custom build something that has to fit a particular purpose and/or space, so if I didn't build it, we would have to spend a lot to get a custom item. I think lots of people build simple types of furniture. Heirloom quality furniture would be less common, due to the training and skill required, cost of specialty tools, cost and challenges of working with hardwoods, and other factors. But lots of people have small shops in their garages like I do. Carpentry is a hugely popular hobby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have lived my whole adult life in apartments and a condo. I think carpentry might be a little noisy for my neighbors. I think the materials take up a fair amount of space as well.

I am reminded of a humorous (fiction) story I read. A lady moved into an apartment only to be tormented by her noisy neighbors. One neighbor was into woodworking, one was in a death metal band and the other one....like to cook. Part of the humor was that the lady who like to cook was just as loud as the other two. This was never fully explained.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just saying building furniture is not unusual, although it may be in your particular situation.

Construction can be noisy, but I wouldn't put a lot of credence in a fictional account of noisy neighbors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've known people who live in apartments who have wood shops in their garages. I don't know what percentage of urban people own some amount of woodworking tools vs rural people, but I would guess it's fairly high all over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great thread. When I stopped working in eduction 6 years ago home economics no longer existed. Honestly, I cannot remember what it was called!! They completely cut out the sewing lessons. I wonder if they still have the cooking lessons? Shop no longer existed. It was called Technology. The kids were not allowed to use the tools at all. It just seemed crazy to me that these skills would be lost. I doubt many of these skills are being taught at home.

I love sewing, when I have the time. My favorite sewing past time is to take and item of clothing and upcycle it. Turn it into something new. I don’t mind doing minor repairs on clothing either, it helps them last longer. I’ll even sew around the edges of towels and wash rags so the aren’t so ratty and last longer. It’s fun to add holiday themed material to plain kitchen towels for myself or gifts.

I enjoy looking online and at social media. Maybe I can make the item or find something similar cheaper, if I really need it. I love getting ideas for crafts and decorating from social media too. It’s fun for me. I do not like shopping. I’d rather look around online. Plus you can read reviews of products.

I find that when it comes to being frugal it is easier when you are around like minded people. However, if I am not around people who share my values I do not give in or get embarrassed. I enjoy my life. Do I wish I had more money? Of course. Would it really make me happier? Probably not. My dad and his wife have money and they are miserable people. Money does not buy you happiness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today we got another reminder of one reason why schools may not want to let kids use power tools. We took an adult ed shop class in the early '90s. Long story short, Husby got his hand in the shaper he was using. We were building 2x4 furniture at the time and forgot we still had the pieces up in the garage rafters and found them today, still full of huge bloodstains. I would guess the liability insurance a school district would have to carry on a shop full of dangerous tools around easily distracted kids would be astronomical. But I do think it's unfortunate kids don't get as much of a chance to try out a trade. Kids seem to be taught everyone needs college, and that's why the country is crying for welders and plumbers and other types of blue collar professionals who do the jobs that make everything work.

I made a minor piece of furniture today, a platform for the back of our truck. Our folding recliners will travel there, out of the way unlike the annoyance they've been till now. It's a simple thing requiring only basic skills, but will make a big difference in organizing the truck. If I didn't have basic skills, we would have to do without this item. Nah. 🙂
    4 foes of frugality-20190823_104059_1566611148492.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

here they still teach shop cooking etc but under diff names and after gr 8 it is not mandatory. They do basic cooking and sewing plus art by gr 8. They can use power tools here.

Basic skills I think are always handy in all areas of life. even just basic things like knowing how to turn off the water in your place, replace a washer. cooking because then you can please yourself even with some basic foods. having to eat out all the time ugh. I think the difference is you had to knit and sew in my moms day. 75 now and got in trouble going to kindergarten and not knowing how to knit. she made dresses for me and my sisters when we were young like many others because cheaper and lack of money. now it is too pricey to make everything.

now depending where you live is what skills you need more ..farm, urban rural because even shopping for deals is a skill.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123