what have you learned from the pandemic? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think attitude is pretty important. For most of my adult life I have tried to always think "how can I make the best of this."

I have gone through some times where the circumstances were pretty bad. I always tried to think how could I make this better. How could I make this less bad.

Well maybe not always, but at least most of the time.

Even if the situation is beyond my control, I can still do some things to make it a little better for myself, a little easier to deal with.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned that by going with my heart instead of my brain, and paying off my mortgage years ago as opposed to investing, may have been the right idea at the moment. While things could change, and investments could continue to have the long-term advantage, I'm glad I don't have the stress of making sure I made my house payments on time.

I've learned that some people I thought were relatively normal are actually pretty unhinged. I'm not talking about disagreements over things, I'm talking about raging conspiracy theories over easily-proven facts.

I've learned that my family is more adaptable than we initially thought. Teaching a delayed kindergartner from home, IEPs included, has been a challenge that both my wife and son have powered through. My 4 year old daughter hasn't really had her life uprooted a whole lot.

I've learned that while there are benefits to working from home, I would still rather go to the office.

I've learned that pressure canning, buying in bulk (pre-covid), cooking at home 99% of the time, knowing what to do with scraps and stretching every part of a food item, have all helped us to maintain a pretty good and varied diet without wasting much. I don't really buy in bulk right now, even though it's available, simply to make sure there is something there for people who finally made it to the store.

I've also learned that by not being able to shop the deals as often, or been able to peruse the clearance aisle once or twice a week, my food costs have increased.

Registered User miteigenenhaenden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have learned that I can rely on my skills. It was kind of a test run.
    I always have enough food, hygiene items, water, ... at home.
    I can bake, cook, sew a lot. I have fruit and vegetables in the garden and homemade preserves in the basement.
    Life in the country is easier in the event of a crisis than in the city.
    Best regards, miteigenenhaenden
    www.miteigenenhaenden.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were in the Panama Canal on a cruise when the pandemic hit. I was most worried about getting home because of countries locking borders down etc. We received notice that our flights were still on and that the cruise line was shutting down after we disembarked.

Once we landed at home turf it was bizarre to drive home and see so many empty parking lots, no people etc.

I stopped and got milk, bread, flour and yeast (so I could make the bread if we didn’t get out for a while). I did grab a pack of TP as dh was worried...got home and counted that we already had 70 rolls. LOL. That reassured him. Otherwise I had plenty of food and such in the pantry and freezer etc. I’ll stick to my usual habits of stocking and call it good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have also learned that I don't need a lot to be happy. I have zero desire to go out to eat or go to large gatherings. If I drive by a yard sale and there are a lot of people there, I keep driving. There is nothing I want that much. Other people, it seems, can't wait. Just got a news flash that a vendor at a local farmers' market tested positive. How many people were they in contact with? Hopefully it was only brief contact.
    It seems like everyone is itching to get back to "normal" even if they have to force it and be unsafe. Not me. I think of people who are on the space station, or in Antarctica, or in the military overseas. They go months without going to bars and restaurants. And somehow they survive.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Samesies, Jo. Although we do have large craft stashes built up over time, mostly from secondhand sources. Garage sales might be more tempting if we didn't have a good supply on hand.

"Normal" ended 2/20. Ignoring the pandemic is not going to get anything or anyone back to "normal".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned that we are all interdependent on others.

I have a new appreciation for my relatives who are doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and nurses. Also my relatives who are teachers and first responders. They are brave.

I learned that, when the going gets tough, my church really walks the walk. Our donations to food pantries and the homeless are way up.

I learned a little kindness goes a long way for low-wage, necessary workers like cashier and stock people in our stores. I always thank everyone with a large tip when they deliver groceries (I use instacart.)

I learned to listen to my doctors at Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic when they sent me letters in early February with pandemic warnings and suggestions.

I learned that flexibility is really a virtue.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would've like to have a larger pantry and storage space to stockpile food but oh well.

I'm learned to work from home, rather than in the office, and not worry about being able to keep to a schedule. I do miss working in the office, especially for social interactions.

I learned I have little patience for the noise outside my apartment while working.

I learned to go outside my comfort zone and find new things online (virtual seminars, 'tours', and concerts) to make up for the events I can't get to in person.

I learned I'm a bit more contrary than I thought I was. I wanted to get and do things when things were shut down. Now that places are opening up, I prefer to stay home or eat outside when there aren't many people around. I've only been back to the mall a couple of times since they've reopened.

I also found I can focus better on my writing at home than I expected. I'm less distracted than I thought I would be. More like, I'm less likely to distract myself than I had been at the coffee shop. I still miss going to the coffee shop. I think once things get as close to normal as they're likely to be, I may focus on brainstorming and world building at the coffee shop and do my actual writing at home.

I'm also taking a bit better care of myself now than I had been before the pandemic. At least, speaking up when I need to with my doctor. I don't know if I would have said anything about my knee as quickly as I did if I was still working and able to continue my walks. Then again, I think I would've continued my walks and may not have had as much an issue with my knee. At least I hope I would've continued to lose weight, rather than gain some of the weight back due to not getting out of the house during the first several months of the pandemic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12