Sorry missed this. My "kid" is 18 now. And she has a large bedroom. She is not frugal, but I can tell you how it was furnished cheaply.

- When dh made those little 2x2x1' bookcases, he also made some 2x2x2' cupboards for them to sit on. DD#2 has one in her room. She also has one of those bookcases to act as a bedside table.
- We bought the dresser from a guy who buys old furniture at garage sales and fixes them to sell. It wasn't cheap...about $50, but it was a lot cheaper than buying one new. And much nicer. It has a gorgeous wood veneer on it from the 1930s.
- The little fold away stool was made by my grandfather.
- The drafting table was the cheapest sturdiest one we could find. We bought it in Edmonton and had it shipped to us...not cheap, but it was on sale anyways. The total cost was under $200. DD#2 has had it for several years now.
- DD#2 wanted a nautical theme for her room, so we hung a fish net from the ceiling and she puts all her unframed cross stitch in there facing down. She also hangs shells and other stuff she makes from there.
- One of the few pieces of cross stitch I've ever done is on her walls...framed at an horrendous cost!
- She plasters candy wrappers onto computer paper onto the walls for colour! Her candy wrapper collage has become a focal point and conversation piece.
- Her friends send her posters of the latest boy heroes. What's new? Johnny Depp is there...twice his normal size...or more!
- I made the curtains from roll end fabric at Fanny's. It was extra wide and dirt cheap. Good quality chintz. It'll wash well.
- The rug on the floor was hooked by me.
- The duvet cover was made from sale twin sheets with button hole sewed in the top and buttons sewed on to hold it shut. I bought the sheets at Walmart.
- The duvet itself is also a Walmart buy.
- the quilts were made by me.
- I made some of the pillowcases from old sheets.
- Mostly I remake old pillows. I pull out the stuffing, tear it apart, and stuff it in a new casing. Sometimes it takes 1 1/2 pillows to make a new one. After sewing it shut, I slip it in a pillowcase. Done right, this is fine. Often I find these a bit lumpy until I punch them around a bit and lie on them a bit. Then they're fine.
- The bed in dd's room was a find at a mattress wholesaler. It was almost half price what we'd have to pay in the store.
- The 'chair' (red stool) dd sits on at her drafting table was the gift of a friend who moved.

Then there's the small bedroom...it is now my writing room, art studio. I haven't been in it in months! I can hardly wait till dd#1's wedding is over and I can get back to it!

- I have a file cabinet we bought at Walmart for copies/drafts of various manuscripts.
- I have old art magazines in an old orange crate.
- banker's boxes hold scrapbooks and homeschooling journals.
- the desk is actually dd#1's. We're just 'storing' it for her.
- the easels were gifts from dmom
- the tambour (or stand with paints etc.) is a plastic unit from Walmart for $15 I believe.
- the paper storage is another cupboard made by dh.
- the bookcase is one of the small ones made by dh.
- A lot of planning goes on in this room. I have my yearly goals done up in a mind map on the wall. I only have to glance at the map to see where I am and what I've done.
- I have artwork I've traded with friends on the wall. And some I've made. And my degree framed in a sale frame from Zeller's.
- I have free paper from the school board in here, for my hs'ing dd#2. Her last year, so my last shipment of free paper too.
- basket that soaps came in to hold post-it notes and other stationary items.
- shelf made by dh from an old oak filing cabinet that gave up the ghost.
- curtains made by me (and tiebacks are simply rope we made at the Calgary Stampede one year!)
- I reuse binders for different manuscripts.
- I have a stash of homeschool material I keep telling myself I'm going to sell on-line someday. In reality I think we'll make a trip to the conference this year and sell a lot of it.

That's it. What about you? What uses do you put your 'bedrooms' to? How do you make them operate frugally for you?-