Planning a Luau

Thread: Planning a Luau

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Planning a Luau

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but... I am planning a luau birthday party for my ds and dd. Does anyone have any frugal ideas for decorations, food ect. I've seen stuff in catalogs but I really hate to spend that kind of money, but I would like to make it nice for the kids. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Dollar Tree had some luau decorations, grass skirts and leis.

I don't know how old your kids are, but there are a few craft ideas kicking around.

Oriental Trading Company is relatively cheaper than some places I have seen, and it is a great place to get ideas...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am assuming your kids are younger, Not Grown ups. Get lil' paper cups, and fill with canned pineapple and add some inexpensive fruit or mini marshmellows to go into it also. Get bright paper to like pink for the girls and greens for the guys to decorate, make kabobs those are easy and the kids love them. Search on the net for other frugal ideas, go to the library, check out some magazines, use the laes ( not spelled right) the kids can wear:

Menu:
    kabobs
    fruit cup w/pineapple and mini marshmallows
    Mac/cheese, and add food colring to make it look festive (kids would love this)
    Make a bright colored punch instead of pop..use red fruit punch and add some ginger ale to it

Just a few ideas,, hope it helped

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Depending on how old the kids are, they can make their own leis (did I spell that right? )

Make a bunch of cut outs of "flowers" (or just use bunched up tissue paper), have them string them on strings with some cut up straws in between for spacers. I've seen these done and they are really cute.

Anything with pinapple and/or coconut would be appropriate. I like the kabob idea that buckeye gave you. You could also do kabobs with fruit if you don't plan on doing an actual meal.

Keep your eye out at garage sales too for decor stuff. So many people go all out for one party, then toss it aside after the party is over. You might just luck out and find someone who had a luau, but doesn't want to store the party decorations!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I lived in Hawaii, one of the things we used to do was to make leis with lifesavers and gum. Just take a long length of plastic wrap and starting at one end (leaving enough of an end to tie the ends together), place a pack of gum or savers, close plastic around it and tie some ribbon underneath it. Continue with the candy, ribbon, until the end. They made cute favors for the kids.

For food I would serve something like fruit in a hollowed out pineapple half, fruit punch (really big over there), I would grill up some pineapple chicken or serve pineapple fried rice, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a luau party for my DD 6th birthday. We got some decorations from Oriental Trading company and it seems like they were pretty reasonable. We also took skewers and put pineapple on them. I can't remember what else we had. I think we had chocolate fondue to dip the pineapple in. Have fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much for the ideas! They are great. I did ask the neighbor if I could borrow some pink flamingos he has in his yard and lo and behold here came the guy this morning, and he said just keep them. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm doing a luau theme for my dd's Sweet 16. I'll ditto the Oriental Trading company. We just got their catalog and they have a lot of cute stuff. BUT I got a bunch of decorations at the dollar store for waaay cheaper than even OTC sells it. OTC has the Hawaiian music CDs for $12.95...the dollar store has 'em for a dollar

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Leave it to our resident Hawaiian, gg for great ideas!! You can tell she has been to or has given many a luau!!