A 10 year old's frugal birthday, can it be done?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default A 10 year old's frugal birthday, can it be done?

I went big for Matthew's first birthday and every year ever since, it really hasn't been a big deal for him for birthdays. He doesn't get too excited but he will run around the house all day yelling 'Happy Birthday!' so I think he is but just doesn't show it.

He'll be ten next month. I want to give him an awesome birthday. He's not allowed dairy (by my restrictions because the dairy does bad things with his autism) or sugar (another restriction of mine because of the same thing) but I really do want him to have an awesome birthday. I mean the whole thing: pizza, ice cream, cake, streamers, balloons, hats, etc.

Any pointers in how to give him a great birthday without blowing the bank? I think we're going with a dinosaur theme this year because he's always loved dinosaurs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Who will be at the party? Friends? Family? 100 of each???

Are you bending your 'dietary rules' for the day? If so, you can do a homemade, home-assembyled pizza (buy cheap frozen and add your own toppings), bagel pizza etc...

If you are having a lot of people, look in to the 3 gallon jugs of ice cream. If you are only having a few, either individual ice cream cups or even a 1/2 gallon ice cream cut into slices.

That leaves... a cake. Make a cake (or a few smaller ones if needed) There is this idea, which you can use little plastic dinos to decorate with... and then of course, there are a ton of ideas here.

There are also a ton of party ideas here!!!

If you find bits and pieces that you like, we can help keep it affordable.

Oh, and this is FUN!!!

Make your own fossils with coffee grounds...here's how!
    1 cup of used coffee grounds
    1/2 cup of cold coffee
    1 cup of flour
    1/2 cup of salt
    Wax or parchment paper
    Mixing bowl
    Small objects to make impressions in the dough (optional)
    Cookie cutter or butter knife

Stir the together the coffee grounds, cold coffee, flour, and salt until well mixed. Knead the dough together and then flatten it out onto the waxed paper. Cut pieces for your fossils using cookie cutters or a butter knife. You can create fossil impressions using objects pressed into the dough, or make bones, dinosaur teeth etc. Let the fossils dry over night or place in a low heat oven for a few hours. Drying times vary on the thickness...so keep watching.
    Last edited by Lady_V; 07-03-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: --forgot to add the links ... Oops

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it would be really hard to do the whole pizza/ice cream/cake thing with no dairy or sugar. You could make separate dishes for the guests and for your son, or you could make dairy and sugar free everything and the guests will have to deal with it.

If a lot of people are coming you could always ask each one to bring something. Even if that's a liter of soda, or one pack of plates, etc. Every little bit helps, and $2 for a pack of plates isn't going to make anyone not want to come!

Party decorations are always expensive, but it's cheaper to buy generic and to make them rather buying what I call "a party in a bag" When I was younger, my mom used to make my decorations, even my pinata! It would probably be hard to make a dino shaped pinata, but a round pinata with dino prints on it would be just fine!

Also, make up your own games. If you're doing this at home you can take a small wading pool filled with sand and bury "fossils" and the kids can dig for them. Maybe whoever finds the most wins a prize. If you're doing it at a park, they already have sand (hopefully) so you can show up a little early and have someone help you bury the fossils before hand.

Don't be afraid to get creative! Instead of party hats, make dino horn hats! Instead of streamers, what about prehistoric vines? You could be really creative and your son would be very proud I'm sure.

I like to have parties at the park because I don't have to worry about squishing people into my house, or cleaning up. People tend to help clean up after a park party. Or at least my friends do.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would LOVE to know how your mom made pinatas.

How about a pizza "bar" meaning you could make personal sized crusts or halve English Muffins and let each kid put what they want on them from the "bar". Then you could pop them in the oven and each kids gets their own personal creation. That would help your son stay away from dairy and would also make a great party activity.

I would also call each person you are going to invite, ask them for their email address and tell them to watch for an email invite. Then go to www.evite.com and make up an invitation there. I did this for my daughters 7th b-day and it worked really great.

Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by itsahumanzoo View Post
    I think it would be really hard to do the whole pizza/ice cream/cake thing with no dairy or sugar. You could make separate dishes for the guests and for your son, or you could make dairy and sugar free everything and the guests will have to deal with it.

If a lot of people are coming you could always ask each one to bring something. Even if that's a liter of soda, or one pack of plates, etc. Every little bit helps, and $2 for a pack of plates isn't going to make anyone not want to come!

Party decorations are always expensive, but it's cheaper to buy generic and to make them rather buying what I call "a party in a bag" When I was younger, my mom used to make my decorations, even my pinata! It would probably be hard to make a dino shaped pinata, but a round pinata with dino prints on it would be just fine!

Also, make up your own games. If you're doing this at home you can take a small wading pool filled with sand and bury "fossils" and the kids can dig for them. Maybe whoever finds the most wins a prize. If you're doing it at a park, they already have sand (hopefully) so you can show up a little early and have someone help you bury the fossils before hand.

Don't be afraid to get creative! Instead of party hats, make dino horn hats! Instead of streamers, what about prehistoric vines? You could be really creative and your son would be very proud I'm sure.

I like to have parties at the park because I don't have to worry about squishing people into my house, or cleaning up. People tend to help clean up after a park party. Or at least my friends do.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's really easy. I just made one with my DS a few days ago for no reason.

Take a balloon, or a cheap beach ball and blow it up.

For the paper mache mixture you mix flour and water. I don't really measure anything, but the consistency should be about that of pancake batter. Maybe a little thinner. You can also add a little Elmer's glue to it. Then you dip a strip of newspaper in the mix, run it between two finger to get off the excess, and then put it on the balloon/ball.

Do the first layer and then let dry. Leave a little hole where the tied part of the balloon or air vent of the ball is. Do at least 3 layers to make it nice and strong. Let dry fully for at least 24 hours. Then you can pop the balloon or let the air out of the ball and pull it right out from the hole. Paint it with whatever you want! Use the hole to fill it with candy.

It's very messy. But kids love to help!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Dino Pinata

A Pinata For You To Make

This is for the dino pinata... the link on THAT page tells you how to make one... substitute dino for donkey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How about going super easy?
    My "autistic - like" son turned 10 in June. We had 6 kids, and I spent all of about 25.00!

We went to the park. That's it!!!! I bought Uncrustables (frozen pb&j sandwiches), bought fruit snacks, cheetos, and bought frosted cookies (he doesn;t like cake - it's a texture thing), and had capri suns to drink!
    The kids played, ate and opened presents. That;s it!!!
    I had a few kids say that "this is the best party ever!!"
    NO STRESS!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had fun with a dino party for DS many years ago (he'll be 19 soon). What I did for the cake was to bake a sheet cake and frost it out smooth. For the decor on the cake I used:

*bushes-small silk greenery (washed & air dried)
    *water-blue plastic wrap (like saran) cut into "pond" shape
    and pressed slightly into frosting
    *rocks-various candies that looked like rocks
    *dino "Eggs"-peanut m&m's & jelly beans that looked right

Add the plastic dinosaurs and it was pretty good. Wish I still had those photos, but lost them in a house fire in 2001.

I think for a homemade pinata, you could make a dino egg!!
    The oval shape would be fairly easy & it wouldn't be too hard to paint either.

We had a "peanut farmer" cake another year...that was fun too!

Good Luck whatever you do!