Ideas needed for an 'art' party
    McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Ideas needed for an 'art' party

Dubya will be turning 7 in about a month. He has requested an 'art party'. I'm renting the local park shelter house (heated, full kitchen, super nice!)
    I'll pay $175 total (but $100 is a security deposit that will be refunded!)

The party itself will be 2 hours. I figured I will allow 1.5 hours for play/paint time and 30 minutes for eating, present opening, etc.

I will have the tables covered in either plain white or brown paper (craft paper?) and have jars of crayons out on the table so the kids can color on the table.

Like this: McDougalie Bear / Dubya bday party.

I also thought we could do marble painting like this: Play Create Explore: Marble Painting

Then I thought of doing something like this: Kid Projects / Great party idea!

Or of buying a bunch of cheap wood picture frames and letting the kids paint them. They would have that as a party favor to take home too.

I am going to make batman crayons to use as party favors. I'll use our broken crayons and a silicone batman ice cube mold that we have.

Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could use food coloring markers and left the kids draw on sugar cookies. This was a huge hit a Buddy's 7th birthday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the theme of this party!! Some times at craft store i have seen wooden cutouts that kids can paint. Do you happen to have some stencils that could be drawn out on cardstock that they could paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If there's going to be paint, be sure to allow time for cleanup and have wet wipes or paper towels on hand for accidents. I teach kids to paint and someone always ends up with it in their lap.

I like the idea of having cutouts for kids to color in, some kids are more comfortable with lines to follow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the food coloring sugar cookie decorating or have the kids decorate the cake (like a gingerbread house - with candies).

Consider supplying tons of pipe cleaners and make pipe cleaner "statues".

You'll want a covering for their party clothes. Consider getting plain white garbage bags and cutting holes for the arms and head. Alternately, you can order disposable smocks for about $1.50.

Consider putting up a clothesline with clothes pins so you can have an "art show" at the end - for parent pick-up. Consider getting blue-ribbon stickers to put on each one for "best of show".

Before the party officially begins and kids are arriving, use the crayons to color in color-sheets of classic art work (usually a free download) or mandalas (looks like stain glass windows).

An active party game? Play "statues" which is a tag game where the child stands like a statue when tagged until someone comes to un-tag them and sets them free.

If you have an out-door space that you can get messy, consider letting the kids do a mosaic on a huge sheet of butcher paper where they throw small water balloons filled with paint onto the ground. OMG! What a mess that would make but how fun that would be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, I've seen the marble painting done with oranges and the entire paper gets covered. They used colors that were similar to Monet's paintings and they all turned out incredible.

Art relay: individual or teams. Have a pieces of paper taped up along a wall. The kids start across the room and have to add ONE item at a time. Have cut outs for simple pictures like a house with a tree, car, clouds, birds, fence, shrubbery, etc. The first with their picture completed wins a box of crayons or like item.

I like the statue tag Cookie posted too.

Blind drawing: Provide paper and a crayon. The blindfolded child then has to draw a "birthday cake" and has x amount of time to do it in. lol I won a turkey drawing contest several years ago.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Outside in February in Iowa is going to be really hit or miss.

I'm going to include wording on the invite to the effect of 'messiness will ensue, please wear suitable clothing, etc. '

I like the blind folded drawing/ coloring idea. We might do 'decorate your cupcakes' type of idea for their food.

Thank you guys for the ideas! They are all very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son had an art party when he was young and all the kids said it was the best party they ever went to.

I had construction paper and glue. Lots of glittery type of things, and shiny different colored paper (like xmas wrap) the kids could cut and glue onto the construction paper. They each took their art home and were so proud.

The glue was easier than painting and less messy. Even pipe cleaners could be used. I think there were some wobbly eyes (the kind that are glued onto cards) that the kids used to make faces. They had a blast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 8 y.o. son, his older sister and brother did this project over Christmas break. They loved it so much I bought more colors of the ink so they could do it again. It was very, very easy. If we do it again, I'll provide some straws so they can blow on the tiles to mix the colors. They sealant is pretty smelly and an adult will need to do that step. The kids loved making something useful. I already had a box of ceramic tiles we'd bought at a local surplus home supply place for a penny a piece. Have no idea how much tiles would cost at Lowes or Home Depot.

crafts for kids / 52 Weeks Project

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh this looks like fun I thought an exhibit party for showing their art work...these ladies give awesome advice..tell us how it ent Mrs. McD....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the idea of DIY decorate cupcakes/cookies. What about pizza's?

Games:
    * pin the candle on the cake?
    * pinata? instead of candies, use smaller toys/crafts etc - if you have them design their own loot bag, you can allow each child to select a few items from the pinata plus a few treats thrown in after the fact?

Craft:

wall mural - tape craft paper to the wall and have each child stand in front (or lay it on the floor) of it posed however while an adult traces them out and they can colour/decorate their silhouette. Makes a great souvenir from the party.

Are you able to find those DIY window sun catchers from the dollar store or art store? The kids pour the coloured sand into the forms and you bake them to melt? Another craft they could take home.

Or what about these? Barnyard Blowouts - Martha Stewart Crafts