When our older kids get invited to birthday parties...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question When our older kids get invited to birthday parties...

Ok...

growing up, all my boys have been invited to kiddies' birthday parties. I also had a few for my boys. I always sent my child to the party with a birthday gift, which I buy.

My question is...

At what age would you stop buying the gifts for your kids to bring to their birthday party?

Francois, 14, almost 15, was invited a few months ago and I gave him $10.00 to give in a card for his friend. I did the same thing for Mathieu, 3 weeks ago. Mathieu is 12 1/2.

Today, Mathieu is again invited to the bday party of another friend...I told him, he could take care of the gift himself, he was old enough...but he whined and said he didn't have money or ideas on what to give *his* friend. So, I'm giving again $10.00 with a card, this time.

But...I have 4 boys, who have lots of friends...Mathieu can be invited 5 or 6 times a year to a bday party. Francois maybe twice, Daniel, usually 3 or 4 and Patrick is just starting out...

Geez, at this rate I'm spending 150$ a year or more for other kids! I still have to give gifts to my 8 nephews and neices for X-mas and bdays...plus my own kids(which are more expensive gifts)...

I don't know, but I think it's been enough years that I have been buying gifts for friends. I have this little voice telling me, that Francois and Mathieu, should organize themselves for friend's gifts...

Afterall, I always tell my own sons, that it's not important to receive a gift when we invite their friends for bday parties. I tell them, we are here to have fun and celebrate. Maybe oneday, a friend might not have money to buy you a gift....

So....what do you all think? Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's time for the boys to be making their own money and buying gifts for their friends. My sons all shop year round (like their mother) for gifts to give to friends and family. The only problem they ever have is waiting until the birthdays to give them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Debbie. I wish my boys could start doing that. I'll start talking about it to them...