Birthday Ideas

Thread: Birthday Ideas

ssn01
    Tourist

Exclamation Birthday Ideas

So next month I've gotta do something nifty for the little one's 12th birthday! *gasp*

He wants a "party" - which more than likely will end up being a few friends spend the night & during the day out to a movie, may be mini-golf (depending on weather), ice cream, a fave restaurant, etc.

Well, he doesnt care about what kinda cake... so whatever I've got in the cabinet will do.

But what about gifts??

He's such a young child, not really so much immature, but just young in comparison to his 12 y/o peers who are already "interested in girls", playing more violent video games, learning to cuss, physically active (ie, sports), etc.
    He's none of those things. He likes video games, he's addicted to his computer (neopets.com!) and reads only when forced or we know enough about the book ourselves to get his interest (must be about dragons or harry potter - Only!).

WHAT do I get him? Or make him?

There's only one book I know he wants & his father will probly get that for him. His father said he didnt want much for him since he got so much at xmas. I got him a tshirt he said he really wanted & now he wont even wear it... he said he _might_ hang it if he remembers.

He's old enough to not really appreciate much home-made items (even tho everyone sleeps under MY afghans - it's not appreciated).
    So it's got to be store bought.

The only thing I know he needs is an alarm clock/radio/light i found at a BigLots for 10$.

Any ideas??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How about some "manly" tools? I started buying my boys hammers, pliers, woodburnging sets, hand saws, and so forth around that age. I made them a male version of a hope chest- so they would have things of their own, when they moved out.

I made my teens a money saving gift-- I took the lid from a Pringles can- punched holes around the edges and crocheted it to the top of a tube sock. . . . I used puff paint to paint $$$'s on it and the phrase "sock it away". I put a few dollars and coins in it to get them started.

Money origami is always a nice way to give money gifts.

ssn01
    Tourist

Wow... he's afraid of tools.

Thing a girly-kinda-boy. If it involves work, he throws tantrums, if it's somewhat creative, he'll think about doing it.
    If it's video games or someone giving him 100% lavished attn.. he's ALL there.

However, the origami idea & the "sock it away" is a really cool idea!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fleece blankets

jigsaw puzzles

35 mm camera, film and coupons for developing-- might be a budding photographer!

dart boards

journal, pens, etc to encourage writing skills (and maybe reading)

portable radios-- I got some for the kids stockings at Christmas that look like ink pens-- they were less than $5 each.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son has been reading a book series called "The Lost Years of Merlin" that he might be interested in.

ssn01
    Tourist

Thanks those are all awesome ideas...

Writing them down in my notebook I keep with me always!

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Walkman and some downlowded music, certificate for a 1 on 1 movie night or dinner at his fave place. A basket of movie night-a video, box of microwave popcorn, candy etc.

ssn01
    Tourist

jerseygirl...

you MUST know this child!

Thanks!