A birthday party on a $25 budget?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default A birthday party on a $25 budget?

After figuring our our bills for next month and budget- I came up with $25 that I know I can have a friend birthday party for our youngest. She will be 4 and she wants to invite the girls from preschool- there is 7 other girls (probably not all will show up!). Do you think that this is doable? She wants to have a princess/tinkerbelle party- does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a cute tutorial on making a homemade "Princess" or "Barbie" cake with homemade icing. I thought this was so clever! You have to scroll down the page to see the pics and instructions.

http://frugalupstate.blogspot.com/search/label/Recipes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Totally do-able!!!

Check your local dollar stores for some themed items - 8 is the perfect number for most sets of plates and napkins and cups! That's usually how many are in a pack. You could also find some great favors for the party there! Another possibility is to find some cute rings and make cupcakes with frosting and stick pretty rings on top for decorations and favors. Even if you went all out, you're looking at:
    Plates - $1
    Cups - $1
    Napkins - $1
    Cake Mix - $2 (?)
    Frosting - $2 (?) Obviously you can get cheaper with off-brand
    Jug of juice type drink (like the orange or punch kind that come in milk-type gallon jugs?) - $2 (?)
    Party Favors and/or candy - $3-5?

so far that's less than $15

What do you think?

Also think about unconventional items if you're doing party favors - like sidewalk chalk or bubbles (things that come with several to a pack for cheap) - or even the 9cent crayons at Office Depot

You could even draw a really big picture of one of the princesses and play "pin the crown on the princess"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since she wants it to be princess/tinkerbell themed ask the girls to come dressed as their favorite princess.

Before the party, take some construction paper and cut the out in the shape of tairas. At the party let the girls decorate/color them. Once they do that use some scotch tape to fasten the ends together and then they can wear them.

Hope you all have a great time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great ideas above already posted, very doable. You can also go to the library and find some books, or skim through some magazines. Or go to a bookstore and look through their books.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Birthday Party Fit for a Princess

Glad you all enjoyed my Barbie cake tutorial. I also wrote an entire post series about throwing my 6 year old, Princess, a birthday party on a budget. You may find some relevant stuff in there.

Since I just joined up specifically to tell you about this, it won't let me insert the link. (I guess you have to have 15 posts before it will let you post links-which makes sense to prevent spammers-but I promise, I'm not spamming)

If you go to my blog,Frugal Upstate, you'll see the blogger bar at the top of the page. There is a search bar there that will search only internal to the blog-If you type in "Throwing a Birthday Party Fit for a Princess", it should come up.

Good luck with your party-I'm convinced that we don't have to spend a lot of money to have great parties for our kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did a similar party for Rachel for her 4th b-day too.

Instead of buying the paper plates and stuff I used my "good china" and silver service. Free but fancy.

We got sheets of purple magnetic stuff at the $ store and cut them into the shape of crowns. Then we decorated them with glitter glue, stickers, and stic-on jewels for the craft portion.

For goodie bags we got some $ store dressup stuff - I had 3 other little girls come and we spent $5 per bag. I put in a tiara, long gloves, a boa, a sparkly jewelry set and plastic high heeled shoes, all of which I acquired for $1 per item. I used brown paper lunch bags tied with ribbon we already had for the goodie bags.

I also used a color theme, which made decorating easy - ours was a purple princess party so all the guests were asked to wear purple. I used a purple leopard print sheet for the table cloth and got $ store balloons and streamers.

We had a great time with this party. One last idea to make a cake look bright and spectacular (I am dreadful at doing the fancy cake thing). I added one package of $0.20 Grape Kool-aid mix to the cheapo white icing. Be sure to get unsweeted Kool-aid or it is way to sweet. Makes a really vivid icing. Then I got cheap pink sprinkles to put on top. Looked really pretty and little girly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you everyone! I have so many good ideas now!

I went to Joanne's the other day to get some scrapbook paper to decorate my familys Christmas present this year (making a receipe book for my in-law side of the family)- it was on sale- yippee! Anyways I went into the clearance section just to see if I could find any good deals and I found 1 set of the Party for 8 sets that they had. It was for a Fairly Princess party (what are the chances of that!) and it came with a lot of great things! It has 8 plates, cups, place mats, a craft for 8 (mirrors with princess stickers), princess rings, and a castle centerpiece. I was able to get all of this for $2.97! That leaves me with $22! Another thing I think I may do is after Eater this year I bought a lot of Disney Princess and Tinkerbell easter eggs and I think I may do an egg hunt- I have enough that I can let each child find 3 eggs (and still have some for next Easter).

Now I really think that I can do this party probably for under $25- especially with that great find at Joanne's!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow - could not get a better find!

If you are doing the fairy princess thing it is really simple to make fairy wings:

Take two wire hangers and straighten them into the shape of fairy wings. Twist the two wings together in the center. Cover the form with the leg of a pair of panty hose and decorate. I used old elastic to make things to go over the girls' shoulders to keep the wings on them. Easy and wirtually free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    Wow - could not get a better find!

If you are doing the fairy princess thing it is really simple to make fairy wings:

Take two wire hangers and straighten them into the shape of fairy wings. Twist the two wings together in the center. Cover the form with the leg of a pair of panty hose and decorate. I used old elastic to make things to go over the girls' shoulders to keep the wings on them. Easy and wirtually free.
    Wow- that is a great idea! I was thinking of maybe since I had a lot of money left over buying wings for all the girls. I have a ton of wire hangers and some old panty hose- I could definately make those! I also have a lot of those glittler glue pens and I could easily decorate those! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well- I went to the dollar store yesterday and found a couple cute things! I got a 10 pack of paper crowns (that we will decorate with glitter glue pens), 2 packs of tinkerbelle crayons (4 in each bag!) and I found stampers that have crowns on them and princess (I am going to stamp brown bags for her party as the grab bag!). At our local Target they had Tinkerbelle party stuff on sale- I got invitations, a banner and tinkerbelle nailpolish for $4.

So the grand total so far is $11. I don't know how I am lucking out with all of these sales! I am allowing $5 for cake and ice cream (our local store always seems to have ice cream on sale for about .99 cents). So that will leave me with $9.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great job --- let us know how the party goes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like it is going to be a Royal Party!

What fun!

Tinting the icing with Koolaid is a great idea - new to me.

Don't forget the candles. Singing "Happy Birthday" and blowing out the candles is a lovely tradition.