Help Exploding 14 yr old Birthday Party Budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Help Exploding 14 yr old Birthday Party Budget

Need help on what would be cool or fun to do and not seem cheap for a going to be 14yr old. I do not want to break the bank and do not really know what the going rate is for teen parties anymore. Her friends have done overnight at hotels, Lazer tag and Dave & Busters. I love the idea of sleep overs but now a days it just does not seem like enough. I am just so confused. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

UGG!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does she craft? A scrapbook party would be cool. Or a home spa party, maybe? (dig out yer freebies for that one!)

Sorry, that's all I can come up with. I have a boy so..... And I never had birthday parties growing up, just cake and family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure where you are at or your budget, but in a big city you could do an afternoon at a cool museum (many have group rates), get a park shelter and have a co-ed party with volleyball, picnic foods, etc., a nice luncheon at a local teahouse/girly place (many times lunch prices are quite low, and if she limited her members to a handful, quite reasonable), or a 1/2 day hike through a state park.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I"d suggest you determine a budget, then sit down with your teen and ask for her suggestions. They can be amazingly frugal when given the chance -- and that way you'll get an idea of what she wants/expects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let me also add :

Check with the high school or area YMCA, dance studio's etc. My kids have hired themselves out for birthday parties. They'd help teach a few dance steps, a few tumbling moves, and so forth. They'd take a digital camera and get snaps of the kids during the party and print them off as favors at the end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i agree that you need to determine what you ahve to spend on teh party and then sit down with dd. if she knows from the start, it will be easier in the long run to stick to a budget. it's a good time for her to learn how to budget for something like a party. she might surprise you and just want to have a sleepover.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What does she have in mind? i'd start there, set a budget and get creatve from there

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the idea of possibly a makeover party with the sleepover at the end.

At 14 most girls are into makeup and spa stuff, why not try that? You can get tons of freebies or bust out the ones you have, I know if my mom had a party like that for me I would totally love it!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My daughter just had a sleepover for her 14th birthday and seemed perfectly satisfied with that. We had pizza, but instead of ordering out I made everyone an individual sized crust and then set out every possible topping imaginable on the counter. Everyone loaded up on whatever they wanted and then I cooked them. Cheaper than take out, everyone got what they wanted, and they thought it was fun.

Then they just went in the basement and did whatever it is that 14 year old girls do (giggle and scream mostly). But I think the makeup/spa idea is really cool, and would have done that if I'd thought of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the tips. The budget I thought of was $ 200.00 but was not sure if that was too high. Spa party sounds like fun too. It is definately something to consider.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you're thinking of a spa party, perhaps the local beauty salon or beauty school has someone who would be willing to come over and give the girls tips, maybe a facial, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our daughter turned 14 last week and she's having an English High Tea for her girlfriends. I make several cakes, pies and mini sandwiches etc. Make a lot of work of the table with fancy china ware, napkins etc. Make several pots of (different) teas. After that they are going to watch a movie at home.

Lisette

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you can't go wrong with an at home spa party $200 would be way more than enough bust out the nail polish, facial masks, and girly magazines! For an activity they could make thier own body scrubs. There are a lot of recipes online and they are really cheap and fun to make! Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't stress too much about keeping up with the big parties. Kids really enjoy being able to just get together and be themselves without all the structure and hoopla. Having an old fashioned sleep over with DVDs, cheesy games, junk food, and make up or whatever your daughter wants to have might be the funnest party they've ever had! She might really enjoy being given a budget and set to make her own plans (with some guidance, of course).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you all so much for the great advice and information. I really feel lucky to be able to get some great feedback from other frugal people or trying to be frugal people(like me). I talked over the party with my daughter and we agreed on Ice Skating and a sleep over. To go ice skating is only 6.00 per person plus 2.00 for rental and she is only inviting 10 people including herself. She is so wonderful for being almost 14. I really like that tea party idea though. Maybe I'll save that idea for myself or a great moms get together with some friends.