Birthday Party

Thread: Birthday Party

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Birthday Party

My daughter's third birthday is coming up and I am looking for suggestions on how to throw an inexpensive, but fun party.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are you throwing it just for family or will kids her age be invited as well?

I may not be the best of help, I just spent an obscene amount of money on decorations for Wesley's second birthday party.

So far the only frugal thing I have done is put a cake pan on hold at the local library to make him his own Lighting McQueen cake.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hunertime View Post
    will this party be for family and friends or other children?
    Just family and the children within (mostly cousins).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Children today are so used to electronic games that it would be fun for them to do the old-fashioned games like Pin the Tail on the Donkey.

I helped at a birthday party where the child's mom had different colors of PlayDoh for the kids to use. They just loved it. I got some of the younger kids started with it and then they ended up having a blast. I even gave them a lesson on color mixing (put yellow and red together and you get orange, etc.) and most of the kids were just amazed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Family parties can be fun... not knowing how many cousins, or their ages... what does your daughter like? Having just cake and ice cream instead of a ton of food the kids will only nibble once and leave is a thought...

Remember, the Dollar Store is your friend! I am a Girl Scout Leader and we are always in need of holiday themed plates, etc. Once you have your theme picked out you can put together some accessories to go along with it. They not only sell the plates, cups, tablecloths, but they also have little toys that can be used as gift bags or games, or both.

Here are some links to inspire ideas. If you need more help coming up with ideas, let me know!
    http://www.boardmanweb.com/party/party_themes.htm
    http://holidays.kaboose.com/birthday-party.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I saw an idea once where the mom of the birthday girl had all the guests bring an old white t-shirt and she had finger paints for the girls to put their hand prints on the shirts for favors and activities. She just made her own cake (I mean, really how much does a 3 yr. old care about the cake anyway?), decorated it however she wanted and just served Kool aid punch. I personally think that cupcakes would be a great thing for a 3 yr. old birthday party. Whatever you do it will be fun, just be sure to take lots of pics.... .

My best suggestion would be not to start out too big. These things seems to have to top last year's as time goes on. The important thing to me always was just to make over the child, not what we did for the party.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I throw frugal parties for my girls every year. The year Rachel turned 4 we had a Purple Princess party:

The homemade invitations asked the guests to wear purple. We only invited little girls so the favors were from the $ store.

We got: Tiaras, over the elbow gloves and boas, all in purple. I put them in little brown lunch bags which we tied with purple curling ribbon.

For the craft I got purple magetic sheets (again at the $ store,) I cut them into the shape of crowns and the girls decorated them with letter stickers for their names, glitter glue, and stick-on jewels. The extra magnetic sheets were cut into circles and squares to also be decorated.

Then we played games:
    Pin the Crown on the princess
    Draw a big picture of a girl in a fancy dress and stick it on the wall.
    Make paper crowns for each girl with masking tape on the back. Play like pin the tail on the donkey but try to get the crown on the girls head.

Name that Princess. Get disney princess stickers (the extras can go in the goodie bags.) Divide the kids into two teams. Have each girl draw a piece of paper with a princess on it. Then tape it to her back, keeping her away from the other team. Give hints to the other team so they can guess which princess the girl is "She wears a yellow dress." "She ate a poison apple.

I got a bag of purple balloons, used a table cloth we already had, and got a thing of purple streamers for decorations. I also used decorative things from Rachels room that went along with the theme.

For the cake I made cupcakes with purple icing. (Make the icing by mixing unsweetened cool-aid mix into whiter frosting.)

This cost around $40 for 8 little girls.

Good luck with your planning. I find using a favorite color as a theme is te very cheapest way to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

piggy-backing off of Lady V's post - hit the dollar stores for those little packages of trinkets or give-aways!

have something a little nicer for the parents... maybe have a homemade "adult dessert" for them only.

Whenever planning parties, it's so much fun and somewhat easy to plan for the kids... but the parents sometimes get pushed aside.
    I always try to remember them too.

Maybe have a trivia board game or just the trivia cards out as something fun the adults can do together... while the kids play.

Have contests.... "guess how many gummy worms in this jar!... if you guess the closest, you win the jar!"

bulk candies can be bought at a decent price - or again - dollar stores... and if you have cans/tins/jars/etc. laying about, you can use those too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ilovechocolate View Post
    Children today are so used to electronic games that it would be fun for them to do the old-fashioned games like Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
    I like this idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My niece just turned 8 years old. Six guests were invited, and they had a "beauty make over theme". There was a curling iron and crimping iron station with combs, brushes and elastics for hair (very popular for doing each others hair with an adult sitting close by to prevent burns), and a station for make-up (dollar store eyeshadow and lipstick, with q-tips for application to prevent germ sharing), and a station for getting your nails painted (run by a second adult), with some Disney pop music in the background it was a very fun time! They also made chocolate lip balm to take home in little dollar store containers, and recieved a dollar store compact mirror. Supper was chicken nuggets and potatoe smiles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another idea....make up cupcakes ahead of time and let everyone ice and decorate their own. You could just throw a piece of plastic on the floor if you have carpet in the kitchen/dining area under the table, a plastic table cloth over the table and then get the sprinkles and colored candies (m & m's, etc), candles and make 2 kinds of icing (white with food coloring in it and chocolate or white with a different color in it) and line em up, let em decorate over their own paper plate and then sing happy birthday after you've lit all the candles, taking pictures of the messy hands and table, etc.... . You could get a 3 candle for the birthday girl for her's and just plain candles for everyone else's. Then, later on with just family you could have a 'cake' for her, made and decorated by you (with the left over sprinkles and such.... complete with the recycled 3 candle...lol....there's no need to spend a lot on a cake). Then take pictures of the girls while and after eating their decorated cupcakes and give them to them later as a party favor. Moms will love those.