Planning a Sweet 16 and need ideas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Planning a Sweet 16 and need ideas

SIL is turning 16 this summer and she would like to have a Sweet 16 party. DH and I are willing to throw one but I am afraid IL's will nix the idea because it costs $$$. DH and I will pay for everything but will be on a budget but I need advice on how to approach the IL's. SIL is very sheltered and has never had a birthday party before and seems very excited about doing it. Any tips on how to go about starting the process? Should we even throw one? Also, I need some ideas. SIL has a hard time making decisions and said she wanted a "girly theme" (whatever that means) so I need ideas. I found a park pavilion where they live for $25. It will be small amount of people I imagine and probably all girls. Any ideas would be appreciated. I was thinking pizza, a candy buffett and music and dancing. What do you all think? Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A friend of mine had a big party for her daughter and used a set up for ipods and had some of her daughters friends bring their ipods and used those. She just made sure the music was appropriate for all listening ears! It worked out well, they could just pop an ipod in and it played for a long time. or have your daugher make a play list of the songs her and her friends would like then you don't have to stress about the music. (a very important part of the party!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why not just have a big sleepover party complete with mani's, pedi's, facials, etc. You can have a lot of fun with the whole spa theme and it doesn't have to be spendy. It's a pretty girlie theme. The in-laws might be okay with it.

I'd talk to the in-laws before doing anything. Ask them if they have any plans for celebrating their daughter's Sweet 16. Then, based upon their answer tell them you'd love to help her celebrate and go from there. I'd do nothing before talking to them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Big cost saver is to make cupcakes instead of spending money on cake. We've had several birthday parties over the years for our kids and cake is a waste of money it never gets eaten. Cupcakes do! I think the park idea is wonderful as it saves on cleaning up the house and allows for any mess to stay outside. IPODs work great for music just add simple food and ballons. Also over invite. Ask twice as many as you want. By the time they get done fitting it into teen schdules you'll have a good number.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, she said 'girly theme' did she means girls only??

I threw my own sweet 16 (don't get me started on why). Had the pink/frilly decorations, pink cake, strawberry sherbert punch, a dj, deli platters and loads of junk food. I also had *gasp* boys!

If she wants a girls only party, then totally glam it up! If you have the room, have a sleepover. If not, an 'almost over'

There are a ton of sites with ideas. Don't forget about Oriental Trading Company ... they have a ton of Sweet 16 decorations and supplies. Mixing some of the 'glam (yet affordable) OTC with Dollar Store finds looks more extravagant than a few balloons

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

"Why not just have a big sleepover party complete with mani's, pedi's, facials, etc. You can have a lot of fun with the whole spa theme and it doesn't have to be spendy. It's a pretty girlie theme. The in-laws might be okay with it. "

Love this idea! You can maybe get some of the teen magazines from the library and the girls can practice different looks on each other...like natural, evening, smoky eyes, etc.

If the girls are up for it, they could do a Fashion Show kinda like America's Next Top Model.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you don't want to do the sleepover/makeover thing -- how about a fancy "tea" party?

Have the girls come all dressed up. Have some fellas in suits or tuxedo's available to announce the girls as they arrive and seat them. (dad, uncle, brothers can do this)

Serve tiny sandwiches, etc. on good china with linens and silver. Maybe a chocolate fountain to dip fruits?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All of the spa stuff can be purchased at the dollar store. You could do a pedicure using a dishpan and all of the scrubs, polish, and loofahs. Sounds fun!

Registered User thriftstorequeen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had a skating party(roller) for one of our daughters 16th party. We rented the skating center for a couple of hours. The other daughter made up a tape with all her favorite music to skate by. They provided pizza, soda and cake and ice cream. I forget how much it was, but they charged so much per person. We invited family and a some of her friends. It was one of the best parties ever. Her Pop-Pop even got out there and skated. I don't know if this would be within your budget or not. But oh. what fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure if you have friends or family with pools but a pool party is always fun in the summer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The mani/pedi theme sounds great. You could even let them do glam makeup and "prom" hair. For frugality's sake, let them make their own pizza's and have popcorn and a movie.

I would have loved this at 16! Oh wait, I'd love to do this with the girls now LOL . . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go To about.com they have some great frugal ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would help if you knew if she was having a few close friends or a group of people...and if she knows aprox how many. We did the sleepover...watch movies(w popcorn,chips,pretzels,soda-have a selection of movies-rent free from the library),do each others hair and makeup,made english muffin pizzas etc...also be forewarned a true sleepover you leave the house...we usually tp'd our mom's car.

We also had a time or two where a small group(maybe 4-6) of us went rollerskating(w/o our parents-we had a pick up time where we got food there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the ideas girls. DH and I are going to discuss it some more and then talk to the IL's. I honestly don't think that they have any birthday plans (since they never have before) and I think that SIL doesnt know how to ask. I think she would probably be more comfortable doing all girls, although I am not sure. I know IL's would probably prefer that. They live in the mountains and it is very secluded so no pools nearby, skating rinks, etc. Basically park gazebo, church hall or their home. They do have a large home so I am thinking a sleepover may be best. I will keep you all updated and I may need more of your ideas. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck!