Put on your thinking caps, people!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Put on your thinking caps, people!

There are two April b-days coming up in this house. I was going to combine them, but since we are having the parties here at the house, I figure they can each have their own.

DS #1 would like a rock and mineral themed party. Yes, he's a little geeky, but he's turning 7 and I just love the idea of telling him when he's 16 about his rock & mineral party. LOL. Of course, maybe at 16, he'll be having a build your own rocket party.

DS #2 (the complete opposite) would like a basketball themed party. Keep in mind that he's turning 5 and I don't think a bunch of preschoolers will play basketball for 1 1/2 hours.

Oddly enough, I have more ideas for the rock party, but any ideas you can give me for either party will help! TIA.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ROFL, our April b'days are the same day here. Youngest ds and I.

you could have those tiny foam basket balls and paper cups and kids could try to get the ball into the cup for points or something...

the cake could be a basketball...ummmmm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well one thing that comes to mind for the rock/mineral party is to have a "rock hunt" (think easter egg hunt). you can find cheap rocks at lawn supply stores or heck why not dig in your own backyarnd for some rocks!
    get a few "shiny" (fool's gold) rocks. kids love shiny!

maybe find or make some "planet" looking ornaments to hang on or from the ceiling. 7y/o son could help with this too! (a feeling of accomplishment and bragging rights: look what i made!) make rocks/planets/comets, etc and hang from the ceiling like they're floating.

cupcakes for these kiddos would work too! make different coloured "rocks" (icing - make lots of peaks/valleys.) with different "minerals" (sprinkles: silver, mono-coloured, multi-coloured, diff shapes/sizes... even the funky leaf shaped ones could be "mineral ores").
    the actual cake could be different kinds of cake mixes (orange, red, marble!, chocolate, etc.).
    AND, since cake is pourous (like rocks) it's naturally got holes and craters INSIDE!

==================

basketballs - dollar store, orange balloons, draw lines using a permanent ink marker (when it's blown up is easiest). (way cheaper than foil balloons!)

basketball cake - round. that's easy! use orange/black icing
    OR make cupcakes... probly 5 y/o friendlier. less icing/sugar

activities could be the usual kind of stuff you'd do at a 5y/o party.
    have little "consolation" prizes for people (basketball themed pencils, erasers, notepads, etc.)

that's just to start with... i'll think of more stuff later.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh!
    bring back the "pet rock" and paint faces on them as an activity for the rock/mineral party!

and buy pop rocks for the kids (candy)!!!

LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

get some rocks and paint them... faces, sayings...
    you could do it before hand or at the party, letting the kids paint their own.

?

maybe too if the kids are more curious types........ have them match the rock with the right name... like charcoal, limestone, etc.......
    number them 1-10 and have the kids guess which is which.. anyone that gets them all right, gets a big rock to take home. LOL !
    ( or prize of your choice)
    Last edited by M55FF; 02-29-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw some basketball decorations in the dollar area at Target last weekend, bowls and plates, I think. Probably because of all the college basketball stuff coming up. I wish I had looked at it more, but was trying to stick to my list and bad things happen when I wander...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could have them break open their own geodes. You can buy the unbroken ones on Ebay and I also know a place around here that sells them.

What about dig for your own geodes, crystals aka pretty rocks Take a little swimming pool ( a small tupperware container would work too) and fill it with sand. Bury the rocks and maybe a few pennies, nickles etc... and give them little buckets and shovels and they can go to town.

My dd is turning 7 in July and she also LOVES rocks, geodes etc...

Andrea

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I saw in Family Fun a break your own geode recipe using coffee grounds. Basket ball dribbling contests might be fun. Foul shot contest. Design your own jersey using a tank-type undershirt. Make your own pinata. The food for the basketball party could be "arena-like". Pop-corn, hot dogs, maybe serve them out of a tray you wear like they do at the game. Watch a few games during March madness to get knock off ideas. Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sure whatever you put together will be fun for your boys & their friends!!! You have already been given some really neat ideas and it has been a long time since I've had little boys living in my house. They grow up soooo fast....I tend to miss those days every now & again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what ever you decide for the basketball party you should have little trophies or medals they can be handmade of course but it's alwasy fun to receive an award. maybe have them decorate pennants you can just cut them out of felt or foam then play some basketball then a basketball court cake and ice cream

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are all soo awesome!