couple of questions
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default couple of questions

I would love to get my grocery bill down to $50 a week (which is a huge difference from $130ish a week now). Just curious how much you guys spend for groceries. We have a family of 4: dh, ds & dd (both age 6) and myself. I wouldn't include pet food or toiletries in this amount. I want to set up a separate amount for that to keep better track of everything. I live in Ontario and food prices are fairly high here to what I've seen on this site so it would be a challenge, but it would really help free up money for our savings.

Also I was wondering when your stocking your pantry do you wait for the sales, or just stock up. I would like spaghetti sauce, canned fruit & veges but I hardly see any of those on sale for lower that what I can buy the no name brands for. So should I just go get them then so I have them? I also like to stock up on meats (a grocery store here often has them for 50% off because they are only good for another day or so, but we just freeze them anyways). Do you include your pantry stock ups in your grocery bill or is that separate?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I include my pantry stocking in my food budget. Like you, I don't include health and beauty aids or pet food in my food budget. Just my way of doing it!

My usual model of stocking was to wait for sales. However, with the high cost of food and how it is spiraling out of control, I now look at items and consider what they might cost in the future. It's a guessing game, I know. But I watch the news for information that might give me an edge. For example with the flooding here in the midwest this summer, the farmers are not getting their corn crops in. That will absolutely lead to higher cost, on top of the increased fuel, transportation and fertilizer costs. So I am stocking up items made with corn, such as corn meal, tortillas, hominy, etc. The market is pretty crazy these days, and my old logical rules of how and when to buy seem inadequate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I heard here in ontario dairy products are going to be going up in price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I include everything in my grocery budget......diapers, pet, HBA, everthing. I spend in the 50-80 a week range for a family of 5....sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on the sales for stocking up! I have a fairly full pantry at all times.....though it;s getting kinda slim right now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I include pet & H&B in my budget.

I only buy "stock" items on sale. (and that means REALLY cheap or practically free)

Coupons are your friend for a stockpile!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi. Spaghetti sauce is easy ... why pay $2+ for a jar of sauce when it's just tomato paste, water and a sprinkling of herbs?

$50 a week for a couple and two 6-year-olds is probably cutting it close. Adding more rice, beans, potatoes & carrots can stretch a budget without losing too many vitamins. We really don't need meat in every meal. Simpler meals (fewer ingredients), and less processed food should help. And a crockpot full of veggies & leftovers (as soup or stew) can last for two days.

As for stocking up, it does depend on price. Basic, bulk foods are still reliably priced. If something is under $1 a pound and safe for long storage, I'll usually add a bit to any regular shopping trip. I have never make a separate trip for stockpiling. I also don't spend a lot of time reading ads looking for bargains -- time is valuable, and being fooled into making an extra trip (or buying junk I don't need) will negate any savings.