How many condiments do you have in your fridge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How many condiments do you have in your fridge

I just opened the fridge door and decided to count. I counted 29! Is this necessary? So many mustards, jellies, salad dressings, bbq sauce, vinegars, salsas, soy sauce, sliced pickles and sandwich pickles and sweet pickles, relishes, mayo and miracle whip, even Hooters dipping sauce. Gah!

How many do you have and how many do you think you could cut out to make it simple?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've got chopped chillies in vinegar, ginger paste, tomato puree, chipotles in vinegar, BBQ sauce, Ketchup, Mayo, half a jar of strawberry jam, some marmalade and that's about it. I usually keep garlic puree and I know I've some out of date stuff that I need to chuck. I really need to organise my fridge...

KB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started buying ketchup, mayo and mustard in little packets like you get at the fast food place. My DH taught the kids to make their foods swim in condiments. The 4 of them would go through a ketchup bottle at a setting. Even though the initial cost is more, in the long run it is much cheaper. The kids like ketchup on their eggs. They get a packet per egg - it was once about 1/4 cup an egg.

All that to say...it sure saves needed room in the fridge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGranola View Post
    I started buying ketchup, mayo and mustard in little packets like you get at the fast food place. My DH taught the kids to make their foods swim in condiments. The 4 of them would go through a ketchup bottle at a setting. Even though the initial cost is more, in the long run it is much cheaper. The kids like ketchup on their eggs. They get a packet per egg - it was once about 1/4 cup an egg.

Great idea!!!

Mr. Heinz (of Heinz Ketchup) was famous for saying it wasn't the ketchup people used that made him rich, it was the ketchup they left on their plate (LOL).

My mother-in-law purchased ketchup in the #10 can (gallon-size) EACH WEEK. But I can't blame her family for filling their plates and then drowning everything in ketchup. She was a horrible cook....

We're not big on condiments at our house. I usually make anything tomato-related from dried tomato powder, dehydrated and frozen tomatoes (fresh in season), and make dressing and salsa as needed, generally from fresh ingredients and fresh and/or dried herbs. I have a bottle of yellow mustard, worcestershire sauce, and pickle relish.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just have the basics, ketchup, mustard, mayo, jam/jelly, pickles and BBQ sauce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have one of each:
    *Mustard
    *Honey Mustard
    *Ketchup
    *Mayo
    *BBQ Sauce
    *Pancake Syrup
    *Louisiana Hot Sauce
    *Ken's Wing Sauce
    *Ken's Honey Teriyaki Sauce
    *Moore's Wing Sauce
    *Grape Jelly
    *Apple Butter
    *Blue Cheese Dressing
    *Peppercorn Ranch Dressing
    *French Dressing
    *Ranch Dressing
    *Thousand Island Dressing
    *Honey Dijon Dressing
    *Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
    *Soy Sauce
    *Bread and Butter pickle slices
    *Sandwich Stacker pickles
    *Sweet Baby Gherkins
    *Pickled Okra
    *Grated Parmesan Cheese
    *Sour Cream
    *Cream Cheese
    *A-1 Sweet Hickory Steak Sauce
    *A-1 Smokey Mesquite Steak Sauce

I would not cut out any of them. We pretty much use all of them on a weekly basis, if not more frequently. The fridge is neat, organized and everything is easily accessible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have no idea how many of these things are currently in the frig, but we have most of them regularly: mayo (vegan), 2 or 3 types of jam/jelly, maple syrup, sweet pickles, salsa, 2 or 3 types of mustard (DH loves mustard), Better than Bullion (or homemade demiglace), shoyu (soy sauce), capers, and usually some type of pickled peppers, sambal or other chili paste. I consider many of these seasonings rather than condiments as they usually go into dishes rather than simply on them.

Judi

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've got 43 condiments. They fill the door and about half of one shelf. In addition to the usual ketchup, mayo, relish, etc. I have a lot of asian and indian stuff: tandoori paste, thai chili, pickled ginger for sushi, and the like.

Some things I probably could get rid of. There's about 5 kinds of hot sauce in there, one is nearly empty, and there is a replacement already. One was a gift and it is too hot, but I can't bring myself to toss a full bottle. One is a sweet mango sauce which is only good on certain things...

DH and I have different tastes, I like spicy, he does not. So we have different mustards, a mild one for him and a spicy one for me, and I just bought a hot garlic mustard to try out last weekend.

Ditto BBQ sauce. There's our favorite mild one, a sweet one that was a gift (from the hot sauce giver), and a spicy one that I bought by accident because the bottle is identical to our favorite. (I'm working on that, but it will be a while) And I still have a couple Texas style jars in the pantry that we will rotate through. BBQ is kind of like religion around here.

As for the pickles, well, dill pickles and sweet gherkins and sandwich style chips are not interchangeable.

IMO, having all the condiments and flavorings to spice up food is what makes eating at home worthwhile. Why have tacos or BBQ at home if you're not going to serve up the sauces, sprinkles, chips and pickles that go with the meal?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't counted, but there are maybe three pickles/relish, a few jellies/jams/marmalades, a few BBQ sauces and hot sauces, two or three mustards, horseradish sauce, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, a few salad dressings, three mayos. I don't consider cheeses condiments; those are major food groups!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I forgot to count the oils and vinegars. I've got maybe a dozen of those. These are not the same as the oil I use for cooking things in, these are for salads, or finishing (like the asian sesame oil). Some people might think that excessive, but to keep me from eating out the food at home has to be as fabulous as the food in a restaurant.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have as many as everyone else at least and we use all of them. Pretty much all on sale so not a lot of cost. My cupboard is full also of spices. I think you can change the whole taste/flavor of the same dish by changing a condiment or a spice so I don't consider it a waste and they last forever.

by the way on the really hot sauce you don't want to throw away you can cut the hotness with margarine or butter. melt it and throw in a LITTLE of the sauce and mix. I have some also I won't just toss. Tossing money!!
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have way too many things in the fridge!
    ketchup
    mustard
    mayo
    relish
    5 different salad dressings
    pickles
    bbq sauce
    soy sauce
    3 different flavors of stir fry sauce
    jams/jellies
    hot sauce
    smoked maple chipotle sauce
    sliced jalepenos
    taco sauce
    caramel sauce
    hershey's syrup
    maple syrup
    parmesan cheese
    Limoncello

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thirteen, but most of them are weird Asian condiments that most people wouldn't know what to do with. I also have fermented black beans in my stockpile, so every meal is an adventure.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGranola View Post

I haven't seen these packets at our stores, but then again I never really looked. I will check this out and a great idea.Thanks.

Our problem in our house is nobody likes the same thing. We are split between miracle whip and mayo, jellies, and mustards, and salad dressings. We use all of them but sometimes they have gone bad before we could consume them.

My daughter is the worst and she will put three different dipping sauces on her plate and ends up wasting it. My step daughter got mad at me the other day because I only had Dijon mustard and honey mustard and we didn't have regular. Gah. I can't keep up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a BUNCH and I wouldn't want to cut any of them out. It is just me and I use them all.

I don't keep 'regular' yellow mustard in the refrig. nor do I put my ketchup in there. But I have two to three 'flavored' or types of mustard in there. Depends on what I am making for what type of mustard I use. I LOVE spices/etc. and have fun experimenting with everything! I just say thank god all my flavored vinegars don't have to go in there.........there would be no room for regular food!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast