Had an AHA moment today!
    Registered User Gotonenerveleft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Had an AHA moment today!

First off let me say that this might be old hat to most of you but for me it was a first.

I cleaned out my fridge earlier and found 4 carrots that I would normally trash. They weren't old but probably would be in about a week. I started to throw them away and then I thought about how much food I trash this way and what a waste it was. I decided to cut them up and freeze them. A couple of minutes of peeling and chopping... a few minutes blanching and cooling.... and I have a bag of carrots in the freezer for no extra money. I was amazed at how much those 4 carrots turned out to be. At least the size of bags of carrots I buy already frozen. Which made me think how much I could get out of a whole bag of them. They go on sale fairly cheaply, so I know it would save a lot over buying frozen or canned. I also sliced up 2 nectarines, doused them in sugar and popped in the freezer. Another item I would have normally tossed.

Anyhow, I feel like this was a small breakthrough for me. Will now think on what I can do with something before mindlessly trashing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Gotonenerveleft View Post
    Will now think on what I can do with something before mindlessly trashing.
    This is what I also have to do when it comes to produce. That is probably my biggest waste but have gotten much better with it and also about saving the little 'tidbits' of leftover stuff. Everything helps.......and can make a great soup later.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've just spent the last week trying to get rid of little bits of leftover stuff clogging up my fridge. It doesn't seem like much, the last half cup of marinade or a slice of cheese or 1 carrot with a half-rotted top... but it all adds up. $1 here and 50c there and pretty soon you're talking real money!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great idea! I also dehydrate produce so it doesn't go to waste. Wasted food is the most expensive food we buy..... Otherwise known as good intentions and poor execution!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is interesting what you can come up with from bits and pieces - I suspect this is how stir-fry was invented!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Take 5 cups broth.. 1 cup barley.. and absolutely anything vaguely veggy or meat in your fridge! Voila! Stone soup!

Take 3 large apples, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla.. spices to taste.. and anything vaguely fruit-like or dessert-ish. Bake for a while.. add crumble topping if you like and whee! Lovely home made dessert.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great job! I recently started doing a bit of this myself, mainly with fruit. I waste too much food. I'm starting to get a better control on it with the freezing though, now I just need to use it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face

First off let me say that this might be old hat to most of you but for me it was a first.

I cleaned out my fridge earlier and found 4 carrots that I would normally trash. They weren't old but probably would be in about a week. I started to throw them away and then I thought about how much food I trash this way and what a waste it was. I decided to cut them up and freeze them. A couple of minutes of peeling and chopping... a few minutes blanching and cooling.... and I have a bag of carrots in the freezer for no extra money. I was amazed at how much those 4 carrots turned out to be. At least the size of bags of carrots I buy already frozen. Which made me think how much I could get out of a whole bag of them. They go on sale fairly cheaply, so I know it would save a lot over buying frozen or canned. I also sliced up 2 nectarines, doused them in sugar and popped in the freezer. Another item I would have normally tossed.

Anyhow, I feel like this was a small breakthrough for me. Will now think on what I can do with something before mindlessly trashing.

Wow! Good going, GTNL! That was very inspirational too. I liked reading about just how much you got out of those 4 carrots, which leads me to to a dumb question .....just how do you "blanch" something? I'm always cooking, so embarassed to say that I've never done it before LOL! Can you explain the process?

Thanks so much!!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes mamamia!!!!!! i ask myself same question. how does one do that and why is it neccesary to do before u freeze something. cuz id love to buy fresh and freeze. would save lots of cash! usually with left over tid bits i make a pot pie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As far as blanching goes I wasn't sure how to do it either so I looked in a cookbook that had instructions. Basically I added the carrots to a pot of boiling water....boiled for the recommended amount of time(cookbook timetable).....Strained them and poured them immediately in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process....once cooled I took them out and spread them on a towel to dry and them put them in a freezer bag...easy peasy!!

HTH
    Tami

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay my cookbook says you have to blanch to stop or slow enzyme action(whatever that means). Instructions say to boil water to a full rolling boil.....put in veggies. cover pot and immediately start counting minutes)

Here are times for some veggies:

green beans....3 min
    broccoli....3 min
    carrots...5 min(whole small)...2 min(cubed,sliced,strips)
    cauliflower...3 min
    corn....4 min
    peas...1 min
    green peppers....2 min(rings & strips)....3 minutes for halves

I've frozen green peppers and onions for years without blanching with no problem but if you were making stuffed peppers they might be tough if you didn't.

HTH
    Tami

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay my cookbook says you have to blanch to stop or slow enzyme action(whatever that means).
    HTH
    Tami
    Enzymes are chemical compounds which cause the loss of color, loss of nutrients, flavor changes, and color changes in frozen fruits and vegetables. These enzymes MUST be inactivated to prevent these reactions from taking place.

FYI: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/blanching.html