I got my wheat mill!!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I got my wheat mill!!!

DH and I talked it over and we agreed to get an electric wheat mill. He did want me to look around and see if I could find something a little cheaper than the NutriMill. I looked around and found a VitalMill. It looked like it was made from the same company as NutriMill but without all the "bells and whistles". It was $100 less expensive.

It arrived yesterday. I was able to find 1 selection of wheat (hard red) at a local HFS/farmers market and I had some popcorn so I used those two to make my cornbread. It was soooooooo good. We even had to bag up some for our insurance man and his wife (friends). My husband, who doesn't like whole wheat (storebought) or cornbread, loved it. The kids kept calling it "cake". If they are eating whole grains with limited sugar and thinking it is cake, it is great IMO.

I guess I'm going to have to order some wheat. I have 1 more stop on this side of town to try but I'm not very hopeful of them - that's why they are last.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!! It looks like a great little impact mill.

Not all mills can mill popcorn, so double check. It's really hard, as is flint corn, which is used for making polenta. Normally yellow dent corn is used for milling cornmeal because it has more endosperm, a sweeter taste, and isn't as hard and not as hard on the mill. Popcorn has very little of the starchy endosperm and mills into a higher-fiber flour/meal. Using corn flour instead of cornmeal (which is a more coarse grind than flour) will make for a tender crumb in your cornbread, but it will still work.

I hope you can find some hard white wheat. It's less acidic tasting than red wheat varieties. White wheat will make the transition to whole wheat a little easier because of the mild taste.

Links to some of my favorite recipes using whole wheat flour...

100% Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
    100% Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies Kansas Wheat Commission Recipes

Native American Tortillas
    Native American Tortillas in a Bag Kansas Wheat Commission Recipes

You'll find lots of recipes using whole wheat flour at the Kansas Wheat Commission site:
    Kansas Wheat | Wheat Recipes

Edited to add...
    Check the HFS where you purchased your wheat. They may be able to order bulk amounts for you at a reasonable price. If you do purchase large quantities, ask for a 10-15% discount for taking the whole amount.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info.

I made sure the mill would mill popcorn before I got it as I bought a bag to "treat" the boys and they tired of it. It did beautifully.

Probably tomorrow, I will drive across town to a place that says they have the white wheat. If I like the place, I will have hubby stop by as needed after that since it is closer to his work. They said on their ad that they had a 45# bucket. I'll have to see. It has been kind of fun getting to know the "hole in the wall" HFS in the area. The one I walked into yesterday reminded me of the HFS my mom frequented when I was little. The smell of the place brought back memories. It is my new favorite.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations! I'm saving my pennies to get one some day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations! I want to get one, too, but I haven't figured out where to get the wheat berries at a reasonable cost. Wish I lived closer to wheat country (well, I guess we have wheat here, but it is spring wheat). Glad to hear that the baked goods you made were so much better than those from store bought flour... that makes me want to keep looking for a source of grain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ended up with a 50# bag of organic wheat today. I started hitting every "hole in the wall" HFS. This place had a bag that just came in for their bulk bin and he said that I could buy it as his bin was full and he could get an order in before he needed it. It was much cheaper than if I had ordered it.

Strange thing here is that I can only find red here. I'm not complaining as it is better than store bought flour.

The kids and I have already rebagged it and put it in the freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations! Check with your local ag extention office they may be able to direct you to someone who is growing wheat in your area. Much cheaper if you can buy directly from the farmer. I'm partial to the hard white winter wheat but all are better than the flour you get at the store. I'm sure you and your family will love having fresh flour and all the goodies you will make from it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! I am hoping to get one too someday.