Challenge: Let's Make It Streeeeeeeeeetch!!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Challenge: Let's Make It Streeeeeeeeeetch!!!

My challenge to you: if someone were to give you ONE of the following, how many meals could you make out of that one item? Include recipes if possible. The challenge is to make the meat go as many 4-person meals as you can.

1 whole baked chicken
    2 lb beef roast
    2 lb ground beef
    4 chicken breasts
    2 lb pork roast

Try to make the meat a significant part of the meal, but not necessarily the main part. Try to come up with as many different dishes as you can.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Using the recommended 3 oz portion size you'd get 10 servings each out of the beef roast, the ground beef and the pork roast (probably less, as it will shrink when cooked), possibly the same from the chicken if they are large 1/2lb breasts (though some of that is bone). I couldn't say on the whole chicken, without knowing the size or weight, but maybe 6 servings since a lot of it is bone, too. Then broth from all the chicken bones, maybe 1 qt.

If you were going to skimp on portions then you can get a lot more out of it, the sky's the limit if you're just using a few crumbles of meat per serving, in a soup, sauce, or vegetable pie.

With the baked chicken I would go the simple route: baked chicken dinner the first night (breast meat). Chicken sandwiches for lunch on day 2 (remaining breast and thigh meat) and then a pot pie with the pickings. This would feed DH and I for 3 nights, with possibly some pot pie filling left for a lunch. And if I was feeling ambitious, some chicken stock for later.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My choice would be the baked chicken.

De-bone the whole thing. Divide meat equally into 4 containers. Save the skin, bones & fat in another container.

1) chicken 'n rice (put chicken, 3 chicken bouillon cubes, 2 cups rice, 2 T. butter & 3.5 cups water all in a covered pot, bring to a boil, stirring several times, reduce heat to low & cook til rice is done & all water is absorbed. May need to add a bit more water near the end of cooking. Stir as needed to keep it from sticking. Serve with hot cornbread (make enough cornbread to have plenty left over for menu #2).
    2) chicken 'n dressing (with the chicken cooked in the dressing);
    3) chicken 'n dumplings
    4) chicken 'n noodle soup (use broken up flat noodles like fettucine).

Put the bones, skin & fat in a medium sized pot with 3 or 4 cups of water, add a couple of chicken bouillon cubes, some onions or onion powder & bring to a boil; cook over medium heat til the little bits of meat come off the bones, probably about 30 minutes. Remove bones & skin & use for chicken gravy to go over potatoes or rice...or to make chicken vegetable soup or maybe creamy chicken potato soup. Whatever you like that doesn't require more than just little bits of chicken.

I've "made do" doing this many times.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For the chicken:

meal 1 - roast sticky chicken - each person gets a leg or a thigh, serve with party potatoes, cole slaw, apple pie

meal 2 - thin slice the breasts, julienne style - make chicken wraps with whole wheat or corn tortillas, sliced green,red and yellow peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and ranch dressing - serve with sweet potato fries, chocolate zucchini cake

meal 3 - pick as much meat as possible off the wings, put in a medium white sauce and make chicken ala' king - serve with a fresh fruit salad and crisp cookies (I generally serve with ginger snaps)

meal 4 - cook the carcass, remove any meat you can get, strain the broth and make chicken/vegetable soup (with noodles, rice, or dumplings) serve with homemade bread/biscuits, cheesecake

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ground beef:

meal 1 - porcupines Meatballs with rice), corn on the cob, green beans, jello with fruit

meal 2 - tacos with beans, grilled zucchini and mushrooms, ice cream

Meal 3 - spaghetti, cottage cheese, tossed salad, peaches

meal 4 - hamburger gravy over biscuits, mixed veggies, broiled pineapple with brown sugar

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Beef roast - I'd cut it into 4th's to start

One section I'd slice wafer thin - and make french dip sandwiches, with homemade potato wedges, fruited pudding

meal 2 - chunk and make grilled kebobs with pearl onions, pepper slices. . . serve with deviled eggs, buttered peas, watermelon

meal 3 - thin slice and make beef stroganoff, brussel sprouts, strawberry shortcake

meal 4 - roast the meat, shred with BBQ and have pulled beef sandwiches, baked beans, tomato/cucumber salad, cherry brownies

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All great ideas. I just made a roasted chicken last night with carrots, celery. With some other veggies on the side. Tonight I pulled some of the chicken apart and added taco season. Made black beans and rice, cut up some onions, slasa, avacado, and cheddar cheese for chicken toastads. Tomorrow with the left over chicken bits and carrots and celery and broth I am going to make chicken soup.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd choose the chicken
    Meal 1 Baked chicken & rice & bisquits & salad
    Meal 2 take off the chicken leftovers and boil the carcass and make chicken noodle soup.
    Meal 3 chicken sandwiches with leftover chicken in crockpot with bbq sauce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would choose the ground beef. I estimate that 2 lbs of ground beef will yield 4 cups of meat crumbles.

The meals I would make are:

Meal 1: Skillet Lasagna (the recipe is from the book Dinner is in the Jar It's similar to hamburger helper. The recipe says to use a pint of ground beef, but I have used only 1 cup and it turns out fine.

Meal 2: Chili. 1/2 cup of meat is all that's needed to provide that nice meaty flavor. Beans are a nice filler.

Meal 3: Spaghetti with meat. I usually make spaghetti without meat, but lately I've been putting in with the sauce. My family loves it and there are no more spaghetti leftovers. Again 1 cup will suffice.

Meal 4: Chili Mac. The recipe is in the Dinner is in a Jar book.

Meal 5: Tacos with 1/2 cup meat and the rest made with wheat meat. (There's a thread about wheat meat here: https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...heat-meat.html) I like to add salsa to my taco meat, so the meat with the wheat meat and the salsa is not too bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would pick the 2lb. roast pork.

1) Take 1lb. and cut it into thin strips. Then, alternating with zucchini, onion, pineapple chunks, and green pepper pieces, I'd thread the (already marinated) meat for kabobs, then grill or broil it. Serve it over rice.

For the marinade, I'd use home-made honey-mustard dressing >
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
    2/3 cup water
    and btw, i'd marinade the veggies too.

Mix all the ingredients and shake well. Store in a covered container at least 1 hour before serving.
    Makes 1-2 cups.

2) Another 1lb. portion cut into small chunks, and use it to add to a good size pot of black beans and rice.

3) I'd use the remaining 2 lbs. and roast it, serve with sweet potatoes, peas, and rolls. I'd make sure only half got sliced and eaten. With the sides, it should be more than enough for a family of 4.

4) With the 1lb. that I had left over, I'd cut into smallish chunks, and make sweet and sour pork. You can serve this with chow mein noodles on top. And instead of having rice again, I'd maybe make angel hair pasta, that I've broken into smaller pieces. If you can get them cheap enough, I'd pick up some ready made egg rolls from the deli or freezer section too.

SWEET AND SOUR PORK

1 1/2 pounds pork loin, lean
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup pineapple juice *
    20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drained
    2 tablespoons cooking oil
    1/3 cup vinegar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    3/4 cup green pepper, sliced
    1/2 cup onion, sliced

Brown pork in oil in large skillet. Combine water, vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, soy sauce, and juice from pineapple; cook until clear and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add sauce to pork in skillet; cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until pork is done. Add pineapple chunks, green peppers and onion; continue cooking for 2 minutes longer.
    Cooks Note: Use juice from pineapple chunks.

Theresa